Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Charges

Options
  • 12-01-2007 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Does anyone know how bin charges are regulated.

I live in Galway County were my bin Charges are around €900 per year accorrding to my latest bil from WERS.

In Galway city the charges are €250 with Citybin and about the same with Galway County council.

I have spoken to other bin operators with a view to getting them to clear my rubbish but they claim they can not get a licence from Galway County Council.

I really cant understand why rubbish is dearer to clear in the county than in the City?

The only reason i can find is Extortion!

Just out of intreast what are other peoples Bin charges around the country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I pay €8 every time I put the bin out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

If the county council collect your bins the charges have to be approved by the elected councillors. If they are contracted out to a private company then I think the company can charge what it likes. €900 seems rediculous though - I have heard of charges of 4 or 5 hundred but 900 is crazy. I know it might seem like an old fashioned idea but I would go to your local councillor about it. Or better still - your local TD - they will soon be looking for your votes. Even if it isnt the direct responsibility of the council if they are giving out the waste collection licences then they shouldn't give them to collectors who charge so much. I believe the fact that noone will allow a dump near them is putting up the cost of waste disposal as it has to be driven long distances for disposal - dont know if thats the case in your area.

PS I pay €8 too each time I put out my bin. sorry!! Thats fingal and I'd say its one of the cheapest - its about €400 if you put it out very week but most people wouldn't have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I really cant understand why rubbish is dearer to clear in the county than in the City?
    Quite simply because its a much more efficient operation in the city, where one wheely bin is emptied, say, every 6m compared to maybe 250m (or more) in the countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

How remote is the area? I mean are you talking a street in Loughrea or those deserted roads where they take photos of cattle wobbling along and write "Rush Hour - Connemara"? Nine Hundred Euro for the former seems excessive. If it's the latter, it's more understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

in Dublin City the yearly standing charge is gone up to €88 while each collection now costs €5.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Yet despite these charges, we still landfill 444kg of waste per person annually. The Dutch manage 9kg.
    We are the worst of the 'old' EU (Cypriots and Maltese are worse offenders).

Maybe the charges should be higher!

2005 figures: http://tinyurl.com/yhf3xg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ryanoid

wow sierra wrote:
    If the county council collect your bins the charges have to be approved by the elected councillors.
    No they don't - the government took away the power of elected councillors to set waste charges in their 2003 "Protection of the Environment" Act. Setting the charge is now an executive function, i.e. the City or County Manager does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Mucco wrote:
    Yet despite these charges, we still landfill 444kg of waste per person annually. The Dutch manage 9kg.
    May I take a guess and say that the dutch incenerate their waste?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

in Dublin City the yearly standing charge is gone up to €88 while each collection now costs €5.50.

In Cork city the standing charge is €290.00 and the lift charge is €5!!!!

Why is Cork city so expensive compared to Dublin city? There should be no major difference in running the service, they are both city based services.

Advertisement