Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4:3 to Widescreen converter

Options
  • 12-01-2007 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, this might seem like a bit of a weird request here goes

Does anyone know if there is a device that can convert a 4:3 signal into a widescreen signal, so the 4:3 picture is not wrapped or stretched, over component cables or HDMI connections.

I ask because Philips have a nasty habit of not allowing you to change aspect ratio on component or HDMI channels on there LCD TV. It is fixed at widescreen. You can change ratio on the normal TV and composite inputs, but not component or HDMI.

The very unhelpful tech support guy just said that is the way the TV is, and I read (after I purchased my TV.. d'oh!) that even some very high end Philips LCDs do this. It seems like a mind boggling stupid "feature" but there you go.

So when playing 4:3 video games or watching 4:3 DVDs (my DVD player has a HDMI interface) the display is fixed at widescreen, stretching the picture and basically making it look a bit crap (I hate watching 4:3 video stretched to widescreen, it give me a headache)

A device that would add in the black space at both edges of the 4:3 signal, so the aspect ratio, is keep would be ideal

No idea if such a device even exists or not, but I figure I would ask.

Advertisement