Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router dead and courier didnt deliver new one today :(

Options
  • 12-01-2007 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

So frustrated now so Im going ballistic over here..

So my router decided to give up this Wednesday night and not boot anymore. Power light is solid read. Power cycle didnt work etc.
    Called broadband company and they said that we will courier out a new one so you have it on friday.
    Thats fantastic great! Broadband and phone over weekend!

Ok.. so called BB company this morning to check that it has been sent. Yes, courier has it and it will be delivered between 9 - 5.30 today, I was told.
    So thats great news.. its on its way.

So bad part starts here.. I work in a business park outside Dublin and the company get quite a few deliveries and shippings every day. But all week there is none showing up after 4.00 since the traffic is usually so bad.

So called BB company now and asked if they could call the courier and ask if they are going to deliver it today as it was ordered.

You have to wait untill 5.30 then we can call them, was the answer.

I mean come one.. if its not here 5.30 why call.. no way its coming here before monday anyway then..
    I am so pissed of at the moment so Im going crazy.. If I knew that the courier wouldnt deliver it today at 4 I could have gone to the courier myself and collected it. Now I have to freakin wait the weekend and hope it will be delivered on monday instead.

BB company have a good service and all.. but this really put me off.. Feel sorry for the guy who answered the phone.. Really tried to stay calm while talking to him but Im sure it came through that Im not happy :(

Anyway.. just needed to spill some lines here to calm down.. :mad:

Thanks for reading..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

what the problem here, its not their fault the traffic is bad?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Jeez,talk about spitting the dummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Guys..., just said it was annoying.. and I was promised it today.

Call me silly or whatever.. but if they say it will show up here on friday you expect it.

if they had said it would show up on monday that would have been fine cause I wouldnt have expected it today then.

Traffic or not Event they should call if they are delayed when there is a courier service paid for.

Called BB company at 4 to ask them to call the courier company to check whatever it was being delivered or not. if not I could have gone and collected it my self.

And again.. as I said... just writing some lines to get it out of my system.

So no need to hit me in the head for that.. right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

cutepape wrote:
    Called BB company at 4 to ask them to call the courier company
    Which BB company and which modem...?

.just curious.

Being honest here,feck it your dead right.
    I was just having a laugh,i meant to put in a smilie tbh.

Whats wrong with this country is we dont complain enough and the "ah sure it will be alright" attitude is what has Ireland the way it is,ie rip off from every direction and a country that lags behine every where else in almost every department..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Why didn’t you just go out to a shop and buy a new router?

I wasn’t happy with the security on my ISP supplied router in France and went out to the local FNAC and bought a Netgear DG834G (which supports switchable off WiFi and Ethernet). It self-installed when I plugged it in – detected all the line parameters automatically. All I had to give it was my user ID and password from the ISP. About 85€.

It gets 100% thumbs up from this security check:
    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    Click on “proceed”. Click on the tests for “common ports”, “all service ports” and “file sharing” to see how good your router is (when it is working)!

When I was using my ISP supplied router, my machine used to receive about a dozen different hacking attempts every day from all over the world – lots from China and North America. (I have software that monitors and logs all this hacking attempt traffic and captures their IP numbers, machine IDs and often their user identities!).

Since I changed my router, I have had no more intrusion attempts because the new router works in stealth mode. The hackers can’t see my connection any more.

Eircom supplied WiFi routers are the worst! If you walk down any urban street in Ireland with a WiFi device, you will find Eircom.net customers with broadband connections showing an 8 digit unique number in their SSID. I suspect that this is their eircom account number! This is how the Hewlett Packard spying scandal worked (in terms of getting their hands on telephone traffic data for HP directors’ home phone lines). I’m not going into more detail on this one because I don’t want to be putting ideas into people’s minds…

Make sure any new modem bought is ADSL2+ compatible!

If you decide to buy a new router and your ISP's rubbish arrives next month or next year, you'll have a spare for emergencies.

.probe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

could be worse mate, i was left without broadband or phone for 3 months while BT and eircom did their little handover thing when i moved house.

or you could be starving in a 3rd world country, or a political prisoner etc. etc.

it's all relative. :)

Dcully wrote:
    Being honest here,feck it your dead right.
    I was just having a laugh,i meant to put in a smilie tbh.

Whats wrong with this country is we dont complain enough and the "ah sure it will be alright" attitude is what has Ireland the way it is,ie rip off from every direction and a country that lags behine every where else in almost every department..

we dont complain enough?

id say 50% of the threads here are always complaints

if he knew the traffic was always delayed which stopped stuff being delivered after 4, why didnt he get it delivered to somewhere else?

id say 50% of the threads here are always complaints

True but in the bigger picture ie Ireland as a whole we dont complain enough and put up with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Dcully wrote:
    True but in the bigger picture ie Ireland as a whole we dont complain enough and put up with things.
    or people vent their frustrations somewhere where it doesn't make any difference like here instead of confronting the people who might actually be responsible.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote:

yeah thats true

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

vibe666 wrote:
    or people vent their frustrations somewhere where it doesn't make any difference like here instead of confronting the people who might actually be responsible.
    quoted for truth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

vibe666 wrote:

Sadly nowadays the way Companies are organised it is virtually impossible to get near the people who are actually responsible. Seems the further you are away from the actual customer the more you are paid.:rolleyes:

probe wrote:
    Why didn’t you just go out to a shop and buy a new router?

Probe:

Company I use supply you with a router but wont give you the login and pwd. So even if you buy a new one you wont be able to use it since you cant authenticate your self.

So basically the router is pre-configured and plug n play (at least thats the idea).

About complaints.. I think alot have happend in IRE the last 10 years and a lot of people from other EU countries have routed in IRE because of work.. specially in the IT sector. I am one of them.
    Don't get me wrong here.. I love IRE otherwise I would have stayed for 3+ years and going strong. Its just that I believe like companies like, Eircom, NTL just to name a few havent cought on with the amout of service they need to give.
    I mean.. honestly.. should it take 8 weeks to connect a phone line?

And no. I dont have Eircom or NTL as my BB provider. I like the company I use and their support are more than descent. Thats mainly why I did choose them. And they have a 1:1 con ratio :D

But still. I think we all need to complain to the right places.. Its easy to write here in the boards.. cause it like a relief to write the sh*t out of you and you see you arent alone.

But imagine if we all here in the broadband forums directed our complaints to the top level management.. or even got Irish Times or Independent to scan our forum and write about all the stuff in here. Maybe that would be an eye opener for the top level management.

Anyway, just found out that its out for delivery (again) today.. and hopefully it should show up before EOB.. as it should have done on friday.. :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Why would the Irish times care though? :/

"Spotlight on broadband: people getting what they pay for, not a lot".

Top level management in any company care about the bottom line. And as long as they see profits up, they don't have a reason to spend an inordinate amount of money changing processes.

Unfortunately broadband is not a right, or a national service. Then again, I have my pick of every service that's on offer, IBB, NTL, the various DSL providers, so I'm not up muck creek without a phone line in ballygobackwards like half the people who are having problems here.

Cult:

you might be right.. but still.. customer service is important.

I can only take my experience from home before I moved to Ireland.

I could choose between several BB providers. All 1:1 cont ratio.
    When I left in Jan 2004 I have had 10mbit up 10mbit down 1:1 cont ration for over 1.5 years for €30 a month.

Today you will get 100mbit down and 10 up for the same money.

Even though you could call 0230 in the morning if something was wrong and someone answered the phone and helped you out.

companies with poor customer service didnt last long cause people stoped using their services.

Telia is the Eircom of sweden. Telia was so d*mn expensive and customer service totally s*cked around year 2000. Then new companies came in to deliver phone lines and dropped the prices and had excellent service.

Telia lost a lot of money the first 2 years.. then they did a complete change. Changed the way they handle customers. Brand new stores, better prices and they are actually the fastest company in SWE today when you want to get BB.
    You can get everything from 0.256mbit - 24mbit over normal phone lines.

So anyway.. numbers are one thing.. they only last so long.

But then again.. if we just sit here and do nothing.. as we probably will.. It wont get any better :)

Ok.. so got hold of delivery company and got a explanation and excuse why it wasnt delivered to me on friday.

Showed up a short while after. No I only need to figure out if I can log into it.. different brand then the old one :eek:

You can probably figure out company in my other thread soon :p

Advertisement