Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing Battery

Options
  • 12-01-2007 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

The mammys car battery has totally died, and we;re gonna replace the battery. Its a 2003 pug 206. Just wondering if theres any precaution I need to take when changing it. I was told to be careful as the immobiliser may stop working after replacing the battery. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have all the tools ready before you start. Ensure that as many current consumers as possible are turned off before you start. Be sure that all the car's doors are closed and the key is out of the ignition and in your pocket. Always remove the negative terminal first - and reconnect it last. Don't be worried about small sparking as you disconnect/reconnect the battery terminal - this is normal. Ensure that everything is tight before you finish up, and it's a good idea to smear the terminals with Vaseline when you're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

.. and following on from an earlier thread, make sure you connect it up the right way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You can get "alarm saver" thingys to stop the radio/alarm/immobiliser losing their codes in some motor factors. You can do it with a 3rd battery too but i'm not going to go explaining that (bit dodgy if you get it wrong )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

although this may seem very obvious, make sure you put the new battery in the correct way around and check the + and - terminals are the same way around on the new battery. connecting it the wrong way round could cause damage and is a mistake i have seen happen a few times.

other than that follow the above advice and you should be fine.

(EDIT) someone beat me to it!

Advertisement