Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biology in arts

• 12-01-2007 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hello, just wondering in what depth is Biology studied as a subject in an Arts degree considering it's only a first year option? What exactly can be done with a years study of Biology in Arts? Is a graduate of the class qualified to teach it at a secondary level or is it just basic Biology? I find it unusual that a core science subject is offered in an arts degree.

I'm a sixth year student and just curious & considering my options, looking at different arts degrees in different uni's. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hand_Of_Steel

From what I can remember from 1st year biology( through science, but I thinkt the arts course was fairly similar) it's not that difficult if you've done biology for the leaving.
    You do have to do an essay or report or some sort if you do biology through arts though, which I didn't have to do.
    As far as I know, 1st year of biology will allow you to teach it junior cert level.
    Thats about all I can help you with though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Thanks for that, although Biology isn't a JC subject and I'm presuming a single year of Biology isn't near enough for JC science.

I would do science, because I am really interested in Biology, but also subjects like History etc so at surface, this arts degree seems ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

as far as i am aware, there are no hard and fast rules as to what subjects you can teach as a secondary school teacher. I think it comes down to the management of the school and you're own personal confidence. if you're really interested in being a teacher, think about what subject you want to teach and then do that in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I used to demonstrate first-to-fourth year undergraduate Biology labs at NUIM during my PhD. :)

The first year Biology through Arts course is exactly the same as that for Science students in terms of course content and labs.

Yes, it is sufficient for teaching Science in Junior Cert although a teacher will obviously have to learn the physics and chemistry aspects themselves, but if the school you are teaching in has plenty of science teachers, you won't be teaching Science!

First year biology in NUIM covers aspects of the following:

Animal systematics
    Plant systematics
    Animal physiology
    Plant physiology
    Virology
    Ecology
    Genetics

The course is designed to bring students to a level that is slightly beyond Leaving Cert Honours Biology level. There will always be people in First Year Science that have never done Biology before so the idea is to get everyone to the same level...works to some extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Thanks for all your help, thinking of putting this first on my CAO :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement