Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WMP wont play file

• 12-01-2007 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im trying to play a video thats been given to me as an avi but windows media player gives me the following message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

How can I find out what codec it is I need or can anyone recomend me a codec pack or programme that will probably play the fils.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Its almost certainly a Divx file (which also can have the avi extension ) , all you need to do is download Divx and it should play , Divx is free , the codec will install with Divx and WMP should happily play any files of that type from then on.

Heres a link ,

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Dpwnload a player called VLC.... it plays everything, but getting a divx codec as above should also solve the problem.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Already had Dvix, I got an "all codec" pack and I can play a wide variety of files. Its not Xvid either btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Thanks a mil Lump, prob solved

Advertisement