Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb phone

Options
  • 12-01-2007 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Hi

A Digiweb user question

Just got Metro wireless installed: web is working but I've no phone service

Contacted support and they issued me with a phone number for my phone but internal and external calls are not working.

Now I'm wondering if the phone handset itself (brand new from argos) is DOA or if my digiweb phone service is not yet enabled.

The lights on my modem (THG 520) are as follows

Tel 1 ON
    Tel 2 ON
    Message OFF
    Cable activity FLASHING
    Cable link FLASHING
    PC Link ON
    Internet ON

The reason I give these details is because p30 of manual says that phone service is not active if rightmost light (labled Internet) is ON while others flash.

So before I go back to Digiweb (or maybe Agros) I'd apprecite if a Digiweb customer who uses the phone service could let me know the status of each of their modem lights.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

the lights are right...the thomson manual refers to all thomsons sold all over the world and can vary with different ISP
    The phone should be put into Line 1 on the modem what line is it in now? what type of phone is it (cordless)?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Its a BT digital cordless phone. Its hooked into LINE 1 at the back of modem and other end is connected properly to the phone cradle.

I charged phone for the recommened time.

No dialtone.

For outgoing calls it does the beeby beep pips type noises when you try to dial out but makes no connection.

For incoming calls when I dial its number from a mobile I hear ringing tone through mobile but no ringing sound from the cordless phone itself.

Think I should go for a less fancy phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

try moving the cradle for the cordless phone as far away as possible from thomson modem and call it again...
    if that dosent work......try it in line 2 and to see if it works?

edit: maybe try restarting the modem also?

Tried moving cradle as far as possible from modem as you suggested and also tried switching to Line 2 but no joy.

Think I will try a different phone unit tomorrow.

Thanks for your help anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've used the Thomson Modem / Digiweb with several DECT phones. One was a OneTel out of Tesco. The other a minature Swedish one from the local Co-op.

Have you registered the DECT handset to the DECT basestation? Have you tried the handset on a eircom line anywhere?

The Tel1 light should be steady but blink when you take phone off hook (or press green button on a cordless). The cheapest Argos corded phone also works on the Thomson/Metro modem.

Tel2 is a separate port allowing two simultanous outgoing calls. Only both lines can be used incomming if you apply for a 2nd number. So two Digiboxs Must connect to the Tel2 or Tel1, not one each.

If the phone is for UK market the two outer wires on connection may cause a problem. If this is case try different Irish /UK adaptor. Also if this is case (common on Fax machines) plugging into Tel2 will make both lights flash!

If the two tel leds /lights are steady when no phone is plugged in, then the phone number really is enabled.

You can apply for a second number, and both can work at same time, but I don't know what the charge is.

• Advertisement

Thanks Watty

handset is resigtered to base. I plugged into line 1 at back of modem

Tel 1 and Tel 2 lights are steady at all times once modem has started up. When I lift handset (ie. press call button) Tel 1 and Tel 2 remains steady and when I disconnenct phone from the modem I still have steady Tel 1 and Tel 2 lights (even after modem reboot).

Phone cord came with Uk type Connector at one end, so I just replaced that cord with a standard Irish phone cord (a phone cord i used to use for internet dialup)

I'll get another phone and see if I can resolve it.

OK. phone may be using two outer wires (UK cable/plug uses the two outer pins and some RJ11 csockets on equipment are designed for UK market.) and everywhere that uses RJ11 (Irish /US Plug) uses the two inner wires.

Try original cord with a Irish adaptor. Argos always give a free irish adaptor because of this issue. If you got phone in Argos & no adaptor they will give one free. They are legally obliged to.

Israel uses BT plug but US/Irish wiring scheme, which means UK flex/plug fits but nothing works!

Welcome to the world of Telecom Standards.

Returned the handset to Argos (just in case it was a dud) and bought a different one there. Low and behold they immeditately offered me a free "Eire" adaptor (which they didn't last time !).

Brought handset home - used the adaptor and finally I'm up and running.

So the morale of the story is that

1. sometimes ISPs are not the cause of the problem.
    2. make sure you get an adaptor when buying a phone in Argos.

10/10 for the board again !

And avoid phones supplied for the BT/UK market. They use a different phone system!

One more issue relating to this post

Is caller ID standard with Digiweb phone service ?

I find that the base unit phone is not displaying incoming numbers (showing as "---" or "number unavailable") whereas, strangely, the second phone (cordless) is displaying the numbers.

Just wondering if this is an incompatibility issue due to phones designed to UK standard being supplied to Irish market or whether this might be an issue with the Digiweb service?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Sorry to drag this up but I'm having issues with the phone as well.

Tried two different handsets plugged into Tel1 but as soon as I lift the handset both Tel1 & Tel2 lights start flashing. The call quality is horrible and it sounds like I'm making two phone calls.

When calling my own mobile, it goe straight to my voicemail then a few seconds later, my mobile rings and I can hear the ringing on the handset coming thru my voicemail message.

Modem or telephone issue?

Get onto Digiweb and tell them model of your Modem.

Thomson has released a new model of Cable Modem recently. It may be you have one and if so, perhaps it needs firmware update.

Unlike many other gadgets, the Metro modems get updates from Digiweb, not the user.

If it is a UK import/ or for UK market phone (most are), ensure it has only a 2 core flex (middle red & green wires). If you havn't got a 2 core flex just nick ethier side of cable to remove a chunk of the yellow and black wires.

Some phones & faxes with four cores for UK system make ATA/PABX etc go a bit mad. The eircom socket only uses the middle two wires so it is generally unaffected by UK phones (except they might never ring on incoming calls)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Spent a good bit of time on the mobile to Digiweb.

Whatever happened, my Tel1 was fubard so the phone is setup working on Tel2.

Happy now.

Ok, so if you need to upgrade to two lines & numbers, make sure they send a new Modem 1st!

Advertisement