Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts in UCD

Options
  • 13-01-2007 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible to get into Arts in UCD with 320 points, Im working for 360 but i feel i will get about 325.

My freind told me that he knew a guy who got 300 points and got into arts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I guess if you dont get the points you could try advanced entry and that would get you in.......at the cost of an extra year, or if the points drop this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Be wary of doing Arts.
    Dont do it because you dont know what else to do.

I concur........dont do it "just cos everybody else is going to UCD" ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I want to do journalism. Could the the third round offers drop to 320 if theres not enough(doubtful i know) How would i go about getting this advanced entry? I skipped transition year so another year in college would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i got 385, its 380 i think for arts, may have changed. second round offers dont go down all that much. i hated arts btw!!! too many people! plus arts degree arent regarded highly by some employers!!
    just saw on cao, it was 350.... courses have gone down a good bit in 3 yrs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

whassupp2 wrote:
    Be wary of doing Arts.
    Dont do it because you dont know what else to do.

I disagree. I think its EXACTLY what you should do if you dont know what else to do. An Arts degree can take you in a range of directions, and unlike other courses, doesnt tie you down to any particular career. Plus, it gives you some time to scope out what you like/dont etc.

And before you jump down my throat, I'm not an Arts student ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I disagree. I think its EXACTLY what you should do if you dont know what else to do. An Arts degree can take you in a range of directions, and unlike other courses, doesnt tie you down to any particular career. Plus, it gives you some time to scope out what you like/dont etc.

Thats pretty much the reason Im doing (well, want to do) Arts. Another option is Sports Management but I feel thats too specific, just like everything else. I want to try new things before I fully commit to a job that I want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Would it be possible to get into Arts in UCD with 320 points, Im working for 360 but i feel i will get about 325.

My freind told me that he knew a guy who got 300 points and got into arts
    Ok, if you really want to do Arts in UCD, all you need to do is up your game a small bit. You've loads of time and 40 odd points extra is not that hard to get with a bit of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Good thread.

Just what options do you have with an Arts Degree?
    Whats and advanced Entry?
    I want to do International Relations in DCU but i fell i wont get the 410 ****ing points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

And before you jump down my throat, I'm not an Arts student ;)
    i think if you dont knwo what to do engineering is a good choice! it has aspects of business etc in it, and statistics(according to ucd handbook thing i got in freshers week) says that most of the world top companies caos have engineering degrees and not business degrees! its in my opinion if you dont know what to do and can get thet points a better degree then arts!(and yes i am an engineering student)

• Advertisement

Good thread.

Just what options do you have with an Arts Degree?
    Whats and advanced Entry?
    I want to do International Relations in DCU but i fell i wont get the 410 ****ing points.

Advanced Entry(also called transfer) is a method of entry to a degree course if you have a third level
    qualification, for example say if I didnt get into my degree course that was 470 points, if I get a decent mark in a lower points course in another college and when I finish two years in the other course I can apply directly without CAO intervention.

Next you can apply to the course you wanted even if you didnt get the points because you are evaluated on your previous higher level education course.
    Its Direct entry basically, and even though it takes an extra year, you could get into the second year of the course you really wanted and they would take into account your college experience---not points.
    So you could get your course even if you dont get the points and if you really wanted it, whats another year?
    Didnt do TY either:) by the way.
    There are loads of ways of "getting in" if you really want a course.

look at this page from the DCU website

http://www.dcu.ie/registry/transfer.shtml

Sorry if this a bit unclear:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Its grand, thanks a lot.

Your welcome, yeah it is a nice option......better than repeating the LC.

Advertisement