Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to bas(s)ics

Options
  • 13-01-2007 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

I used to play bass a couple of years ago, in a band that went no where and I feel like getting back into it.

Any advice on starting out again, what to learn/practice?
    Any good sites for theory? My knowledge of any music theory is pretty non-existant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Just play. What sort of music are you into?

You can do stuff like chromatic exercises to get your hands working together but, for me anyway, I just love playing along to songs, along to music on the telly, anything. You'll pick up loads and in a non-pressured way. When you see bassists on the telly, just watch how they play, again you'll learn loads from other players and see different techniques. Formal lessons are no harm, but concentrate on enjoying playing first, I would say. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I used to play bass a couple of years ago, in a band that went no where and I feel like getting back into it.

Any advice on starting out again, what to learn/practice?
    Any good sites for theory? My knowledge of any music theory is pretty non-existant.
    I too recently took up bass again after a long absense. Like Doctor J said, playing along at home to music you like is very enjoyable and educational. A great site for all things to do with bass is : www.talkbass.com :)

Advertisement