Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical studies(could i do it now and do well)

Options
  • 13-01-2007 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

I love roman and greek history. Last year I was trying to be cool so didnt get much involved but this year im a changed man, would it be possible to get a c1 or b3 if i studied hard and got some grinds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

haha, tried to be cool, what did you hope to get from the leaving cert by being "cool". Anyway, if you went flat out on the subject and got some good grinds(institute) you might manage a C1, assuming you have no classics ability at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I wasnt trying to be hard, but i was young and inexpierenced ha ha, if only i had tried like this last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

yeh, classics is a simple subject! but you would have to be willing to read and memorise alot! and be willing to put in sum hours! but its more then possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Classics is not a simple subject at all. Are you sure your talking about the same subject here. Its a very hard exam and lots of course content has to be memorised. Its one of the hardest exam subjects on the leaving cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

It's really tough from what I've heard. Only 2 people correct the exams, a married couple and you can appeal the mark you get (you will be disappointed, the highest I heard someone got was a c1) and it'll stay the same. You'd be better starting something like Business or Geography or if you were really willing to put in the work Economics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

It's really tough from what I've heard. Only 2 people correct the exams, a married couple and you can appeal the mark you get (you will be disappointed, the highest I heard someone got was a c1) and it'll stay the same.

I disagree. I know a girl who got an A1 (higher level) in classics last year. TBH it's like any subject, if you put in the work it's not that hard. The main thing with Classics is that you're able to learn things off well, as there's loads of learning off in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Dont think its possible. Theres just too much content to cover in such a sort amount of time. I reckon most courses at the moment will be covering topic 3 or 4.

Topic 2: Alexander the Great
    Topic 5: Greek Drama (Medea, Oedipus, Prometheus bound)
    Topic 6:Ancient Epic (Odyssey)
    Topic 10: Roman Art and Architecture (**** loads of monuments, temples(inside and out), city structures, mosaics, busts, paintings.

Nah cant be done. Focus on other subjects

c0rk3r wrote:
    Dont think its possible. Theres just too much content to cover in such a sort amount of time. I reckon most courses at the moment will be covering topic 3 or 4.

Topic 2: Alexander the Great
    Topic 5: Greek Drama (Medea, Oedipus, Prometheus bound)
    Topic 6:Ancient Epic (Odyssey)
    Topic 10: Roman Art and Architecture (**** loads of monuments, temples(inside and out), city structures, mosaics, busts, paintings.

Nah cant be done. Focus on other subjects

depends on what you do, id advise;
    for topic 1-Athens at war-this is literaly an easy question! learn the notes and you are sorted! there is nothing more to it thatn that!
    topic 5-greek drams, do oedipus and medea...so short and very limited questions can be asked!
    topic 6- do odessey and aeneid, get a set of cliffnotes or similar! and just learn!
    topic 8 or 9, 8 is architecture, and easier to cover in a short time then 9(not easier per say just shorter, but 9 i personally prefered 9 but it it time consuming so if your starting now do 8 not 9!

but it is possible! u just have to get ur head in the books! and get grinds or something, preferably one on one grinds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

I started classics about 2 months ago (i'm in sixth year,) did very little work, no grinds and still managed to pull off 60% in my christmas exams. I don't really care how i do in it cos ive got more than enough points with my other 6 subjects, i wasnt able to drop latin altogether so i went for the easy option... A hard subject to get an A in, but an easy C1 with a minute amount of work is my experience of it.

its not even that hard to get an A in...but yeh a C is easy enough! an A realy comes down to how good you are at essays! your ability to put the info in a way to suit the question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

L&#233 wrote: »
    I disagree. I know a girl who got an A1 (higher level) in classics last year. TBH it's like any subject, if you put in the work it's not that hard. The main thing with Classics is that you're able to learn things off well, as there's loads of learning off in it. :)

Classics is like any other subject in as far as it is a subject on the leaving cert course.
    The hardest thing i have found about course is that you deal predominantly with primary texts and there are virtually no resources to assist you in the leaving cert, i.e. study guides, text books, past papers.
    Yes one can do well in it but one can also do very bad in it. I would only recomend it to people who have done it for the junior cert and for those who hold it firmly in their hearts as it truely is a labour of love. By no means a an easy grade.

Advertisement