Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Clashes

Options
  • 13-01-2007 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hello there, I'm after looking at the Leaving Cert 2007 timetable and it seems I have two subjects clashing, Classics and Construction. Does anyone know what happens there? What do I do? To add to that i also have Economics before them. Anyway, anyone know what I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Talk to someone in your school about it, 6th year dean maybe or something, or just ring up the examinations people and ask them what the deal is? Presumably they'll organise for you to sit one of the exams at a different time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Subject Clashes
    The State Examinations Commission makes every effort to arrange the examination timetable in order to minimise the potential for subject clashes. Sometimes students enter for subjects that are timetabled for the same time and date. Arrangements can be made to allow time to sit both papers. Please contact Entries Section for further information. Telephone 090 6442704 / 6442702 / 6442706. E-mail: entries@examinations.ie

This is what said about it on the examinations.ie website. Maybe better off to go through them and find out

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Cheers, thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

You sit one exam first,then you have an hour break which you must spend with the examiner so you can't talk to people who have already sat the other one,you then sit the next exam.

Thats the way they did it in my school last year anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

you have an hour break which you must spend with the examiner
    Sickener

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

you have an hour break which you must spend with the examiner
    Sickener

Yeah,I'd imagine it was,thank god I wasn't one of the few. But there was 4 in my year with Italian and Engineering clashing so as far as I know they were all allowed spend it together with the examienr so it wasn't as bad for them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You sit one exam first,then you have an hour break which you must spend with the examiner so you can't talk to people who have already sat the other one,you then sit the next exam.

Thats the way they did it in my school last year anyway

That's the way it's usually done everywhere.

By arrangement you can have a shorter break than an hour if you like.

I know of a case where a candidate's mother had died, but he wanted to sit his exam that was scheduled for the morning of her funeral. The school and SEC arranged for him to start his exam very early in a room on his own (with the supervisor) and he finished a half hour after the rest of his class started - so no-one else could join the exam after he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

The thing is about the subject clashes, I have Economics before Construction/Classics, so that means I'll be kept till like 9 o clock that night?? Are they allowed to do that? like 3 exams in one day is a bit much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

spurious wrote:
    That's the way it's usually done everywhere.

By arrangement you can have a shorter break than an hour if you like.

I know of a case where a candidate's mother had died, but he wanted to sit his exam that was scheduled for the morning of her funeral. The school and SEC arranged for him to start his exam very early in a room on his own (with the supervisor) and he finished a half hour after the rest of his class started - so no-one else could join the exam after he left.
    nobody is ment to be allowed to enter an exam after half an hour anyway! its in the rules thingy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I did Applied Maths and Greek a few years ago. They were both scheduled for the afternoon on the last day of the exams. They wanted to give me half an hour break, but I managed to get the same break as you would have between a morning and an evening exam. It wasn't too bad really. My mum brought me a dinner to eat in between them and I was able to chat to the examiner and the girl who was supervising. I actually did better in the second exam than in the first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement