Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hogan Gives Away Hall Of Fame Candidates On Radio Show

• 13-01-2007 2:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

Link here
    I'm sure you probably got a lot of emails on this, but I thought I'd send another one. Hulk Hogan was just on the Bubba The Love Sponge show and was a bit drunk, and while he was on the air he got a phone call from Vince McMahon's secretary Ann Russo. She wanted to go over the list of names for possible induction into the Hall Of Fame this year. What she didn't know was that Hogan put her on speaker phone so all the names went out over the air. When he eventually told her she was on the air, she said she'd get in trouble and sounded rather shocked.

Anyway, the list of names were (I wrote them down as she
    read off the names):

The Von Erichs
    Ultimate Warrior
    The Original Sheik
    Ric Flair
    Mr. Fuji
    Nick Bockwinkel
    Muhammed Ali
    Mr. T
    Mike Tyson
    Howard Finkel
    Jim Ross
    Ken Patera
    King Curtis
    Ted DiBiase
    Jake "The Snake" Roberts
    Honky Tonk Man
    Randy Savage
    Dusty Rhodes
    Dick Ebersol (NBC Executive responsible for creation of Saturday Night's Main Event)
    The Wild Samoans
    Big Boss Man
    Bob Backlund
    Rick Rude
    The Bushwhackers
    Rocky Johnson
    The Brooklyn Brawler

Hogan was then asked to pick 10 names, and he said, "the names I pick go into the Hall Of Fame?" He then picked:

Big Boss Man
    King Curtis
    Dusty Rhodes
    Randy Savage
    Wild Samoans
    Von Erichs
    Rick Rude
    Bushwhackers

Hogan then he picked Howard Finkel once he got off the phone.

He did say that was a "heat getter" and I can't imagine Vince will be too happy once he finds out. Anyway, it was great radio.

I'm slightly surprised that Hogan got consulted on this matter. Can't imagine Vince being too happy about it at all, although Hogan's lucky that it wasn't something directly pertaining to storylines or anything like that

Looking at the candidates, I'm surprised at some of them. Ultimate Warrior mainly! Also the fact that Savage is mentioned and that Hogan picked him too. How come Savage is considered and not Sammartino?

JR said on his site a while ago that he hoped there weren't too many posthumous inductees, simply because it brings the mood of the event down, and I'd agree to an extent. Someone shouldn't be excluded just because they're dead, but there shouldn't really be any more than two posthumous inductees at most

I don't think that any of the current WWE guys mentioned should be in the Hall of Fame yet, although it could work if they inducted Flair. It could be used in storylines to elevate younger guys even more, although at the same time it would more than likely tarnish Flair's legacy even more

My picks there would be Bob Backlund, Rick Rude, Jake the Snake, Randy Savage and Ted DiBiase. Also, they'll have their celebrity inductee, and Muhammad Ali would probably get them the most media coverage out of the ones mentioned, so he's probably the most likely, even though Mr T deserves it more

So what do other people make of Hogan messing up, and the HOF candidates?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I wonder if Vince will sack Hogan from his Legends contract?......Nah!!!

I really think DiBiasi deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. He really should have gotten a World title reign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dusty apparently snubbed it last year as he didn't want to be overshadowed by Bret but a Randy Savage appearance would overshadow him too no doubt.

Hogan is such a wally though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote:
    Link here

Looking at the candidates, I'm surprised at some of them. Ultimate Warrior mainly! Also the fact that Savage is mentioned and that Hogan picked him too. How come Savage is considered and not Sammartino?

I think first of the WWE Hall of Fame is a weird one because nobody knows whats the criteria for getting in. Its so random that you can't take it very seriously.

As far as the Warrior goes, if you look at some of the people who have gotten in he more than fits the bill.

There are plenty of people that a. were'nt great in the ring and b. never drew a dime that got in. Warrior would be by no means one of the worst wrestlers in it and he did draw alot of money.

Plus, I'd love to hear his speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

From what I have read, Hogan had to cut the interview short because Vinne mac rang him during the interview to see what he was doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Hogans a nob, theres no way that girl should get in trouble for him tricking her, but she'll most likely fall victim as asshole hogan seems to be untouchable.

i'm surprised at you asking about sammartino, JR only stated in his latest blog that despite begging with him recently, Sammartino doesn't feel kindly enough to WWE at the moment to get involved in HOF, so why bother doing anything if Sammartino doesn't want to be involved, its Brunos choice and people should respect that, The Warrior shouldn't get a look in at all, there are Far far far more deserving bames on that list.
    in no particular order i feel all the following are deserving of a place:
    The Von Erichs,
    Randy Savage,
    Ric Rude,
    Ted Dibiase
    The Original Sheik
    Ric Flair
    Mr. Fuji
    Muhammed Ali
    Mr. T
    Mike Tyson
    Howard Finkel
    Jim Ross
    Ken Patera
    King Curtis
    Jake "The Snake" Roberts
    Dusty Rhodes
    Dick Ebersol (NBC Executive responsible for creation of Saturday Night's Main Event)
    The Wild Samoans
    Big Boss Man
    Bob Backlund
    The Bushwhackers
    Rocky Johnson
    The Brooklyn Brawler

but topping the list of most deserving for me would be:
    The Von Erichs,
    The Original Sheik,
    Bob Backlund,
    Dusty Rhodes,
    Ric Flair,
    Randy Savage,
    Ted Dibiase,
    King Curtis,
    Jake "The Snake" Roberts,
    Mr. Fuji,
    Ric Rude,
    Big Boss Man,
    Muhammed Ali,
    Mr. T,
    Dick Ebersol (NBC Executive responsible for creation of Saturday Night's Main Event),
    I definitely think the fink , JR and Brawler are future candidates and aren't necessary to do now, they'll get in, i thinkk it would be fitting if JR were to retire at a wrestlemaqnia and be inducted at that HOF.
    i assume ALI, T and Ebersol(SN main event was a huge step for wrestling in fairness) are going in the celebrity wing.
    i'd balk at warrior ever being in it. after reading the back story it's like saying Cena (who is way more of a team player) should be in it, sure he was popular for a little while, but what does that mean.

• Advertisement

i'd balk at warrior ever being in it. after reading the back story it's like saying Cena (who is way more of a team player) should be in it, sure he was popular for a little while, but what does that mean.

When you've got a Hall of Fame that has James Dudley, George Steele and Tony Atlas in it before Steamboat, Ted di Biase, Savage, the Funks and a hundread names more, you've got to take it with a pinch of salt.

You balk at the Warrior going in. Have a look at the people who are in and its comedy. Again its basically who Vince wants in. Up until about 3 years ago it was essentially the Vince McMahon Kiss my Ass Club.

A third of the people already in the Hall of Fame shouldn't be in there ahead of him. Warrior was a huge part of the WWE in the 1980s and sometimes people bash him to the point where they under estimate that fact. He didn't have the wrestling skills of a Ricky Morton. He couldn't cut promos like Ric Flair. But he had a great look, portrayed his character really well, cut really wacky promos that worked for him and with the right guy (Rude, Savage, Hennig Di Biasie) could have a good match.

As the quote goes he was what the times required. And Ultimate Warrior and the WWF in the 1980s were a perfect match.

Explain to me why Backlund would be third on your ballot, ahead of Flair. You could argue that they weren't "WWE guys". But neither were the Sheik or the Von Erichs really and they top your list.

The most definitive wrestling hall of fame is the wrestling observer one which has clear guidelines and is voted upon by people in wrestling all over the world. The list of inductees are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_Observer_Newsletter_Hall_of_Fame

Just for peoples interest, the following were inducted in 2006

2006 inductees

* Eddie Guerrero
    * Hiroshi Hase
    * Masakatsu Funaki
    * Aja Kong (Erika Shishido)
    * Paul Bowser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I agree Warrior is deserving. The fact they released a DVD bashing him and had other top stars on it also laying into him shows what an effect he had on wrestling at the time.

Some of the names in the Hall of Fame bother me. Does Cowboy Bob Orton for example really deserve the distinction of being a Hall of Famer? Not in my mind.

Also, one name that I didn't see mentioned who I think is deserving is Jerry Lawler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

flair,jake roberts and randy savage are way overdue to be in there,and why the hell isnt ricky steamboat in there yet?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

As far as the Warrior goes, if you look at some of the people who have gotten in he more than fits the bill.

There are plenty of people that a. were'nt great in the ring and b. never drew a dime that got in. Warrior would be by no means one of the worst wrestlers in it and he did draw alot of money.

When I said I was surprised about Warrior, I was thinking more about the way WWE have treated him recently with the dvd rather than him not deserving a place. I'd say he deserves a place, as he did do incredible business for the WWF back in the day, even if he couldn't wrestle. I used to love him! I despised Hogan as a kid

I was just thinking about the speech he'd make, that'd be brilliant

i'm surprised at you asking about sammartino, JR only stated in his latest blog that despite begging with him recently, Sammartino doesn't feel kindly enough to WWE at the moment to get involved in HOF, so why bother doing anything if Sammartino doesn't want to be involved, its Brunos choice and people should respect that

Ah yeah, that's true. I'd forgotten that Bruno didn't want to be in. I was still thinking about the way it was a few years ago, when Bruno didn't want to have anything to do with wrestling. But then I was thinking that since he's done some stuff with ROH, he must be open to wrestling again. Completely forgot that I read JR's comments

Fozzy wrote:
    When I said I was surprised about Warrior, I was thinking more about the way WWE have treated him recently with the dvd rather than him not deserving a place. I'd say he deserves a place, as he did do incredible business for the WWF back in the day, even if he couldn't wrestle. I used to love him! I despised Hogan as a kid
    s

Everybody comes back 99.999% of the time. Its the wrestling business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Still, he's in the process of suing WWE. It could be some sort of a ploy by them to get in his good books though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Explain to me why Backlund would be third on your ballot, ahead of Flair. You could argue that they weren't "WWE guys". But neither were the Sheik or the Von Erichs really and they top your list.
    I can see what you mean about it being a kiss my ass club, but if your discussing it as a proper hall of fame, then regardless of what mistakes you think have been made you should always treat each years contenders as serious
    thats why i don't like the idea of Warrior, i know he filled a niche, but after watching the self destruction and listening to his peers as well as his retorts(psycho) i think he was only ever in it for himself, like you say perfect for the time, but was his contribution as significant as say Flair or even Hogan, and by the way i think Flair gave way more than Hogan.

as for backlund ("Third on my ballot") ahead of flair, the second list is again, i should have stated, no particular order, just a pearing down of who i'd like to see from who i think is deserving.
    however i was trying to keep guys like Flair who were still active down the list, thats all, i just think its more fitting an honor to bestow on a retired wrestler, not a guy who could potentially be wrestling the next night.
    I mean don't got getting me wrong, i think Ric Flair has more than deserved a place in the H.O.F. but i just see it as a place for guys that WWE aren't going to run with anymore, basically a thanks for the memories club, and Flair although on the wind down, may have 1 or 2 more years yet, thats all, i just thinking it would be a fitting retirement gesture for the man, i'm not trying to disrespect him.
    Backlund was a fine champion in his time, maybe he whored himself a little in the 90's though, but as you said yourself WWE can be a Vince McMahon Kiss my ass club, so he may have felt obliged (wink wink, nudge nudge) to do as asked.
    Fozzy wrote:
    Ah yeah, that's true. I'd forgotten that Bruno didn't want to be in. I was still thinking about the way it was a few years ago, when Bruno didn't want to have anything to do with wrestling. But then I was thinking that since he's done some stuff with ROH, he must be open to wrestling again. Completely forgot that I read JR's comments
    i completely agree with your sentiments on liking to see him in there, i hope he will change his mind someday like bret did

I can see what you mean about it being a kiss my ass club, but if your discussing it as a proper hall of fame, then regardless of what mistakes you think have been made you should always treat each years contenders as serious
    thats why i don't like the idea of Warrior, i know he filled a niche, but after watching the self destruction and listening to his peers as well as his retorts(psycho) i think he was only ever in it for himself, like you say perfect for the time, but was his contribution as significant as say Flair or even Hogan, and by the way i think Flair gave way more than Hogan.

as for backlund ("Third on my ballot") ahead of flair, the second list is again, i should have stated, no particular order, just a pearing down of who i'd like to see from who i think is deserving.
    however i was trying to keep guys like Flair who were still active down the list, thats all, i just think its more fitting an honor to bestow on a retired wrestler, not a guy who could potentially be wrestling the next night.
    I mean don't got getting me wrong, i think Ric Flair has more than deserved a place in the H.O.F. but i just see it as a place for guys that WWE aren't going to run with anymore, basically a thanks for the memories club, and Flair although on the wind down, may have 1 or 2 more years yet, thats all, i just thinking it would be a fitting retirement gesture for the man, i'm not trying to disrespect him.
    Backlund was a fine champion in his time, maybe he whored himself a little in the 90's though, but as you said yourself WWE can be a Vince McMahon Kiss my ass club, so he may have felt obliged (wink wink, nudge nudge) to do as asked.

i completely agree with your sentiments on liking to see him in there, i hope he will change his mind someday like bret did

On Warrior only being in it for himself. The majority of wrestlers are only in it for themselves. Its the nature of wrestling. And just because Vince did a hatchet job on him on the dvd doesn't make it gospell. Remember before Bret agreed to co-operate on his dvd, Vince was going to turn the screw on him.
    I'm not saying Warrior was a nice guy. I'm saying I don't know. And if you look at the WWE hall of fame its comedy that a guy like Warrior isn't in it but someone like Tony Atlas or James Dudley or George Steele or even Tito Santana is.

On Bruno, I've listened to him speak about it and I admire him greatly. He should do what he wants. I admire him for being one of the few guys who has constantly told Vince to shove it. While it would be for him to be recognised, I kind of get a kick out of the fact he can more than live without it.

I enjoy watching the WWE hall of fame as much as anyone. Its great to see guys that I haven't seen since I was a kid get to do a speech, be cheered and be recognised. But it is what it is. Its never been somthing you could take as a serious hall of fame and you never will.

Advertisement