Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grateful dead

• 13-01-2007 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

I'm big in to cosmic rock with loads of guitar solos. However one band that I have never really heard is 'the dead'. Any dead heads out there want to point me in the direction of which albums to go for first, and what to avoid?

Cheers

Damo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

American Beauty is a good place to start. A truly classic album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't have anything by them but on the rare occasion a tune by them pops up I always like it. BBC (I think) had a good doc about them on a year or two back and I realised I knew many of the tracks - I just did'nt know who did them.

http://www.gdlive.com/shn/gd1970-02-11.mp3f/ (you did'nt see me post this, right?)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Workingman's Dead and 'Live' Dead. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I went out and got American beauty. man its awful, I was expecting something a bit more challenging and stoner than this country fried, easy listening rock.

Wont be buying any more. I'll stick with the 'wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

damonjewel wrote:
    I went out and got American beauty. man its awful, I was expecting something a bit more challenging and stoner than this country fried, easy listening rock.

Wont be buying any more. I'll stick with the 'wind

How about you check out the band Camel instead? Might be more the kind of thing you're into.

• Advertisement

Yeah Camel are pretty good and I like a lot of prog, Steve Hillage being a big favourite. Was kinda hoping this was a bit zappa-ish. But I mean even if it is country rock when I compare The Dead to other country rock e.g. The Band, The Byrds, Gram Parsons they still don't stack up. Maybe I'll give them a listen tomorrow morning when I'm goofing around the house, I might like it then

damonjewel wrote:
    I'll stick with the 'wind
    Maybe you should have mentioned "the 'wind" in your OP, and we may have realised that the Grateful Dead was not for you. ;)

Now, you've reminded me that I haven't listened to Silver Machine in a while! :D

*searches for Stasis - The UA years 71-75* :)

Yes I suppose my dissapointment is more that I haad previously associated this music to people into acid. I was kind of hoping it would be a bit psychadelic. But its quite bland and inoffensive and not at all weird which I suppose actually makes it perfect for tripping (probably). But also I have heard Jerry Garcia=amazing guitarist and he's nothing special it seems

What about Iron Butterfly or Jefferson Aeroplane?

Jefferson Airplane are pretty good but I only know In a Gadda davita by Iron Butterfly. Might check out a bit more from them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

point of interest: ever the seen the cable guy scene where jim carrie sings a song while seemingly high (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhtIydTmOVU)? that's a jefferson airplane song. of course, the information he give about it being in a rockumentary, that's incorrect. that was another song.

Advertisement