Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Throw out your wireless

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Wired is always better... I only use wireless for my laptops.. everything else is on a wired network...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Anyone know what speed the ethernet card is in the 360 ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It would be a 10/100Mbps card (100Mbps max)

Ciaran500 wrote:
    It would be a 10/100Mbps card (100Mbps max)

Thats what I was thinking :rolleyes:

Why the hell didn't they put a gigabyte card in it, would have made alot of sense when it comes to streaming video over a lan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

KTRIC wrote:
    Thats what I was thinking :rolleyes:

Why the hell didn't they put a gigabyte card in it, would have made alot of sense when it comes to streaming video over a lan.

come out of it, if you're having problems streaming video over a 10/100 network....well, i dunno....but you shouldn't be!!

• Advertisement

True... I've been streaming vids from me server over a 100mb network n never had a prob.. Thats streaming to a HTPC, a laptop n the 360.. mostly at the same time

Have u a load of cat 5 running through the walls rosco or...?

I'll test the 10/100 tomorrow, I could get very good results over 54mb wireless.

I just thought that the 200mb lan adapter from Devolo would be great for streaming to the 360.

I have to say, i've never had any problem streaming video to my 360 over 54G.

I was using TVersity to stream 1024 x 720 to it last night, watching some 24, and over the 4 episodes it never skipped once!

Fanboy wrote:
    I have to say, i've never had any problem streaming video to my 360 over 54G.

I was using TVersity to stream 1024 x 720 to it last night, watching some 24, and over the 4 episodes it never skipped once!

I didn't have any skipping, just slightly stuttery. I found Media Center quite unresponsive using the wireless.

• Advertisement

I've never used media centre...well, for a very brief time...it's a resource hog, and there are other things which do the job better, with less requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Wouldn't most wireless stuff around the house be half-duplex anyway to land you back there well in the last century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

I've streamed a dvd from a laptop 54g to a router then 54g to an xbox.

LK

P.S. I've always had <1ms pings to 54g router.

Im using cat 5...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

LeperKing wrote:
    I've streamed a dvd from a laptop 54g to a router then 54g to an xbox.

LK

P.S. I've always had <1ms pings to 54g router.

so have I.

Was still amazed that the home plugs were so much better than wireless.

Now I can stream SKY + on the TV ( with a slingbox ) to the PC, stream a DVD/avi using xbmc ( old xbox ) from the PC to the TV AND play the xbox 360 online on a different TV at the same time with no lag.

Also wireless is bad for you*

*runs away with tinfoil over head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Sorry to resuscitate an old thread, but it came up in a search... smile.gif

Since I don't already have any wireless gear, I'm half-thinking of trying out one of those Homeplug kits, to connect a PC & Xbox in the young lad's bedroom upstairs to our wired (BT) 1MB router downstairs. For something like Xbox Live, would it make any appreciable difference whether I got the 14MBPS instead of the 85MBPS kit? The former can be had very cheaply on eBay, and of course I'll need two of them. But I've heard a couple of people say that 14MBPS — or whatever fraction of that you actually get in practice! — isn't fast enough (and indeed that it's a bit of a struggle with standard 54MBPS wireless) ...is that the case?

Also, I presume we'd then be sharing the bandwidth? So if daughter dearest was limewiring away at +100Kb/s downstairs (that's the fastest we get in practice) and yer man went online upstairs, they'd each get about half of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

How bad is the lag on like pro evolution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Games on Xbox live would be pretty much unplayable if someone's P2Ping on your network at max speed like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I can imagine that's the case, alright. But, assuming noone else was browsing/downloading at the same time, would the ('up to') 14MBPS transmission between the two homeplug devices be fast enough? Or would I need to get 85MBPS units?

Advertisement