Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Advice

Options
  • 13-01-2007 11:26am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm near the end of buying for my build. Only psu and processor left. I may wind up getting both from komplett, but I had a few questions about makes.

I know from previous threads that fortron is a good budget model to go for, but I was wondering have any of you had experience with the black diamond ones on komplett?

Black Diamond Power Supply 12cm Fan, 20/24 Pin, SLI 2x6pin, 500Watt €57

was thinking a 500w would be loads for me. Just a Burner, a sata hdd, 3700+ cpu, 6600gt, tv card.

I would like it to be fairly quiet as it'll be in my sitting room. Saying that I don't even notice the fan from my rear projection tv which it'll be under.

Would you trust the ones they sell in maplins? Was a brand that I hadn't heard of before, but it had a 120mm fan and said it was quiet or something like that!

Failing the black diamond / cheapo maplin job was thinking

Fortron/Source Powersupply ATX 400W Bulk, 120mm Fan, SATA, 20/24pin €63

Little less powerfull but should be ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Black Diamond come from Point of View who are a no frills graphics card seller usually no issues with their stuff but I cannot say I have seen anything good or bad about their Black Diamond PSU line.

You can easily just use a 400W PSU as well for that hardware.

Both PSU's should be okay I imagine given your hardware but as for noise output it is difficult to say.

If I were really concerned about noise I would get something I know that is quiet like this Akasa PSU (18dBa max) Komplett have appeared to have named it wrong as this is one of Akasa's Ultra Quiet line PSU's & they are decent/reliable models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It seems price is a concern for you. So why not get a 580W hiper type-r. I have one of these. its silent. And never had a problem with it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not a huge concern, but it's certainly a factor. :)

Advertisement