Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything i should think of changing in this upgrade?

Options
  • 13-01-2007 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

ok at the end of this month i should be doing a nice little upgrade for myself.
    my brother is building a new rig and i'm passing on alot of my current rig to him and upgrading what i can :)

current rig:
    AMD athlon x2 4400+
    2x1Gb OCZ PC3200 Platinum Series
    Abit AN8-32X Motherboard
    BFG 7900GTX OC 512Mb
    Samsung Syncmaster 930 BF 19" Monitor
    Hyper 580w PSU

What i plan to upgrade myself to is:
    Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
    EVGA nForce 680 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    CellShock 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 PC2-8000C4 1000MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Enermax Galaxy 850W EGA850EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU
    BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
    Belinea 2225S1W 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black/Silver

Any comments or critasism on the rig are welcome, i have 3 weeks or so to finalise it but i'm pretty happy with that spec, should have good overclocking potential i think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Did you just look at my sig and copy it :)

Everyhing you have there will be fine. But bwe wary of what case you have. As that psu is a monster. I myself would hold off getting thr 8800gtx as of now. As the 8850 will be out in a few weeks, And the r600 ( ati ) is due for launch soon. So hang on for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

Well the case i have is a monster of a case too so i dont think the psu will be too much of a problem.
    Have a ThermalTake Kandalf VD4000 LSC case.

must look into the 8850 then and see when they are due and if i can hold off on that i might. cheers for the info.

btw, have you overclocked your rig, if so what are you getting from it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I sit on 3.2ghz stable, But when i run benchmarks i move to 3.6ghz. But it will not pass orthos at the higher speed. And regularly freezes/reboots unless i have the window side open and the pc beside it.

And from what i can tell the 8850 will be the same design as the 7950. 2 pcbs connected together for sli in one card. If this is the case i can imagine them coming in close to 1000€.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

Ah well if that's the case then i think the 8850's will be a bit too pricey for now so would stick with the 8800 GTX, will wait till the end of the month though and will see if there is any more news by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

• Advertisement
Advertisement