Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange Quinn Direct policy making me cancel!

• 13-01-2007 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

OK here is the story. I recently got a 1.6 Renault scenic Automatic. The reason, my wife is American and cant drive manual. So i trade in my Primera.. a car that is pretty fast and can go over 100mph without so much as a complaint about it.

So i get the car, call up Quinn to give them details.. thats grand.. no extra charge of course. Then i say im going to put my wife on there too. Not expecting any problem. Im told at the end that my wife will have to have a full license before they can insure her on the car?? So i say ok and hang up. Thinking its odd.

I call around and every single other insurer has no problem so i call again and say im going to have to cancel now. The guy was surprised as he did not see a problem at first.. anyway finally he said the same thing but he at least told me why... wait for it... the Renault scenic 1.6 is considered... a "High Performance" car???? I mean WTF??? This is not even a manual... its an automatic... which means its 0-60 in about 2 mins, its top speed is pretty much 120kmh unless going down a hill and i have to almost floor it to get it to that speed. Its a dog!!! its a lovely comfy car and i like it but its slow. I had to overtake a tractor the other day and it took me a good 15 seconds where as in the Primera it would have been down to 3rd and right by in a flash!!

Idiots!! So anyway was about to go with the AA for €600 but Britton emailed me and gave me a much cheaper quote at €528. Although the AA gives you windscreen and NCB protection also.
    Its up in march anyway but i want my wife to get learning the roads so i have to cancel quinn... in writing.. which is a pain.
    Anyway rant over

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I had my 2.5 auto Safrane insured with them with the missus on it with a provisonal, it was no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

1.6 MPV = High Performance? is this the feckin twilight zone or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Jaysus thats an even bigger engine!! Its weird!! He said it was because its over a certain BHP but it must be wrong, im sure he said 150bhp? Which is way too high.

My one is the Dynamique model, top spec one so maybe it has a higher bhp than the standard 96 or whatever the scenic is but it should be no more than 115bhp.

It just goes to show how bad the industry pricing is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This is one reason why I don't understand the Irish system. Surely the car information is applicable to all companys and can therefore be made transparent like in the UK. However, the insurance companys claim that their info on the car is different to all other companys and they therefore can't reveal it.
    gangsters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

i work in quinn at the mo (looking for new job tho), and i ave been advising lots of mates to go with places like Britton or AXA, quinn seem to only be a good choice for young drivers who wont even get insurance with other companys.

They can be a pain to cancel your policy, as you need to send in a letter stating exact date you want it cancelled, otherwise they cancel the date they receive the letter and you need to send in your cert and disk.

Im with quinn at the mo but as soon as its renewal time, im chaning as Britton has given me a good quote.

• Advertisement

vengeance do you know if i went to Quinn in blanch with said letter etc would they give me my NCB cert there or will i still have to wait?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

i drive a volvo 115bhp im 24, my gf is 21 shes on a provisional and they insured her on it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Rover 214 103PS, I'm 20 with a full license

GF is insured, she's 20 and has a provisional license. No extra charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

It becuase the policy is so loaded in you favour- you are still considered higher risk than your girlfriend. Absolute rubbish. I have 2 years NCB and a full license- adding my girlfriend to my polo (high perfomance I know) doesn't cost a cent even though she has never driven before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Quinn Direct, the Ryan Air of insurance companies in my experience. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Does your wife have a history that they may know about? eg. accident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

I had to overtake a tractor the other day and it took me a good 15 seconds

Thats why its so expensive... spending that amount of time on the wrong side of the road is sure to bring on an accident.. :D:D

My Gf is with them in a 146, no problem there, 24 on provisional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got my renewal notice in the post from Quinn yesterday: €1230. I then plugged all my details into the website and got a quote for €905. Took about 20 minutes of persuading/waiting on hold before they would renew my policy for the lower price. Muppets.

If any of the other insurers were remotely competitive for me (24, male, 2 yrs full licence, 2 yrs NCB) I'd be gone, but they're not. Axa want €1600 to insure me on the same car. Hibernian won't quote me without doing their ignition course and Allianz won't insure under 25's on a 1.6...

I hate Irish insurers.

Stephen wrote:
    I got my renewal notice in the post from Quinn yesterday: €1230. I then plugged all my details into the website and got a quote for €905. Took about 20 minutes of persuading/waiting on hold before they would renew my policy for the lower price. Muppets

All the companies do this. Think about it, probably 50% of people dont check at renewal time and just accept what comes through the door. A couple of hundred extra of loads of customers = lots of free money. Think of it as a tax on the lazy/stupid people shop dont shop around. In fairness, from a business point of view it's good practice as they are getting extra money for nothing.

Saruman wrote:
    vengeance do you know if i went to Quinn in blanch with said letter etc would they give me my NCB cert there or will i still have to wait?

you will have to wait most likely, when you hand in the letter, the person at the front counter will contact another dept to get it cancelled, and it prob wont be cancelled immediatly so the NCB will go out in the post.

Now i never said this, but if you go to the office in blanch, tell them "an agent in private lines named, john paul allen whatever, told you that you would get it straight away" and stand your ground, they may do it then an there to avoid a complaint.
    Stephen wrote:
    I got my renewal notice in the post from Quinn yesterday: €1230. I then plugged all my details into the website and got a quote for €905. Took about 20 minutes of persuading/waiting on hold before they would renew my policy for the lower price. Muppets.

If any of the other insurers were remotely competitive for me (24, male, 2 yrs full licence, 2 yrs NCB) I'd be gone, but they're not. Axa want €1600 to insure me on the same car. Hibernian won't quote me without doing their ignition course and Allianz won't insure under 25's on a 1.6...

I hate Irish insurers.

I did the same. My renewal came to 1798.00 and i did an online quote and got it for 1570.00. Always ALWAYS do an online quote when renewing, or if the company dont do online quotes, ring up and pretend to be a new customer. And once you get the cheaper quote ring them back and say you want the cheaper and stand you ground. 20mins on the phone is worth it if you get a few hundred quid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

my wife got a quote of 750 for a 1.4 scenic the other day from AXA, I phoned them up and all i said to the agent was "my wife received your quote and got a cheaper quote elsewhere, what can you do" 10 seconds later she cut 200 euro off the quote.

200 euro, jesus for the sake of a 1 min call i saved 200 smackers that would have been paid without question. My quote was cut buy almost the same amount last year on a C5 2.0

both fully comp and open drive.

Ins in this country like most things is a rip off. Just phone and save yourself a few quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

had the same problem before with quinn.... turns out anything over 105bhp is high performance... not matter what size of car...

I have foudn their quotes very cheap at the minute. I didnt want to go backto them after 3 years with other companies but they came in a lot cheaper. My policy is up in may and going by online quotes, it should be around 600. I'll be 26 with 4 years ncb, 2.5 safrane. The missus is getting quotes on the safrane of €375. She has a full licence nearly a year and has 4 years ncb. I'm getting quoted around €450 on her 1.4 scenic.

Hobbes wrote:
    Does your wife have a history that they may know about? eg. accident?

No she has never driven here except for me giving her some lessons in the Phoenix park etc.

Actually she is American and was driving long before me but Quinn do not know nor care about that as its not an EU license so does not count here.

Does not matter anyway. I will just cancel and go with Britton but its just a pain having to do it and it will cost me money as i will not get that much back from now until march.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm with them on a MR2 Turbo(240bhp ish) and my gf is named on it... shes 23 on a provisional and has never driven in her life :p

Quinn consider anything over 110bhp as a 'performance car' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

jhegarty wrote:
    with quinn.... turns out anything over 105bhp is high performance... not matter what size of car...

That used to be the case. They've changed their pricing system recently.( A former colleague who now works for quinn confirmed this)
    They'll now insure me (22 M) on a 140bhp GTi wheres as 6 months ago they wouldn't even consider it because it's a "high performance vehicle"

mloc123 wrote:
    I'm with them on a MR2 Turbo(240bhp ish) and my gf is named on it... shes 23 on a provisional and has never driven in her life :p

Quinn consider anything over 110bhp as a 'performance car' :rolleyes:

Hah well i drive a "Performance Car" so my scenic automatic will kick your MR2's ass it seems :D

Seriously.. WTF??? Thats more than twice the power of mine and your girlfriend is insured as a provisional???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

I was once refused insurance on a '93 Audi 2.0 16v because it was "a high performance car" - I asked what their (can't remember which insurer it was) definition of high performance was, and the guy said that it was a car that could do 0-60 in under 10 seconds. - Talk about cherry-picking...

PS: 0-60 on the Audi is 9.8 secs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

My better half has a 00 scenic 1.4 insured with Hibernian for €305 fully comp with me as a named driver. It helps that my car is also insured with Hibernian and she also used a discount voucher from the back of a superquinn receipt :p

There is no way that a scenic whether it is a 1.6 or not is a performance car.
    My 87D diesel golf :o , is nearly as fast as her scenic :D

News update on this one... on monday i think it was... i printed off a cancellation letter and physically went to the offices in Blanch. I said (as was suggested) that so and so told me i could get my NCB cert on the spot if i went there. She was ok about doing that but then i told her why im cancelling and she was shocked.

So she went to her supervisor who must have thought WTF?? And she came back and said no problem we will insure your wife. Because she is American and has lived outside of Ireland in the last 5 years she had to fill in a form. No problem she works across the road so she dropped in the forms at lunch time :D
    All sorted!!
    Now i do not need to worry about paying for new insurance till March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Good......glad it worked out for you !!

I have one car with AXA and they encouraged my to get a quote on the other car but they were €200 dearer than my renewal with Hibernian, €480 for fully comp & extras, '03 CLK !

Saruman wrote:
    News update on this one... on monday i think it was... i printed off a cancellation letter and physically went to the offices in Blanch. I said (as was suggested) that so and so told me i could get my NCB cert on the spot if i went there. She was ok about doing that but then i told her why im cancelling and she was shocked.

So she went to her supervisor who must have thought WTF?? And she came back and said no problem we will insure your wife. Because she is American and has lived outside of Ireland in the last 5 years she had to fill in a form. No problem she works across the road so she dropped in the forms at lunch time :D
    All sorted!!
    Now i do not need to worry about paying for new insurance till March.

glad ya got it sorted. That place is full of contradications. One assistant manager says one thing, another says another.

Always stand your ground, and they a little more helpful to try an avoid a written complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 03021975

Quinn direct are very dangerous people to be dealing with!! Even their own employees wont get insured with them! Trust me, from 1 that knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Knows what exactly? good man digging up a two year old thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement