Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shilpa

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I am aware of and disgusted by the bullying but am questioning the root of it - dislike of Shilpa as a person or race related, that is all.
    The root of the bullying is not race related it's class related. Chavs vs. Lady. Didn't Jade have big arguments with Ken too? Was that because of race? No. It was class related.

As someone has already said in this thread, the race card is used way too much in our "PC" world and as a result it loses it's potency when it's use is justified.

Another big factor is that women on the whole are b1tches, and before anyone starts, it's not always the case but in my experience women can be shockingly b1tchy at times especially when a pretty women is the object of their vitriol.

I wonder how many viewers Big Brother will get tonight? I betcha it's more than they've been getting for the last week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

BaZmO* wrote:
    The root of the bullying is not race related it's class related
    Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Maybe I should have made myself clearer, that might be the lack of intelligence:rolleyes: The word "paki" is a derisory catch-all term for the entire sub-continent, so someone could be quite happy using that word for people from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh or even Southall, West London.

I know what they mean. Of course the fact they are "quite happy" to use a "derisory term" says a lot about them. Imagine the outrage if it was the other way round.

Also, I am sure some of the native English living in Southall would not be happy at being called a Paki.

Anyway we should not be paying this excuse for entertainment any attention at all, yet we have Tony Blair standing up in Westminster talking about it. At least he had not watched it. Apart from invading Iraq, it is one of the most stupid things he has done, up there with standing up in Westminster calling for the release of Deirdre in Coronation Street after she was sent to prison in the programme.

Flukey wrote:
    Apart from invading Iraq, it is one of the most stupid things he has done
    How is it one of the most stupid things that he has done? He was asked a question in Parliment which he is obliged to answer. And as you've said yourself, he said that he didn't see the show in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm going to have to agree with the "Shilpa is a lady" remarks made above.
    She had heldherself with complete class and dignity and will come out of this all the better for it.
    Still not racism though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Why isn't it racism? cos they haven't used the word N_igger ??at the moment it can be brushed off as bullying but they are sailing very close to it & i believe that their treatment of shilpa IS based on her being Indian.

If Victoria Beckham were in there & gave them manky chicken they'd all be laughing away with her & trying to lick her hole to win favour.

I believe Jade's only argument with Ken was over him eating cheese & pickle crackers during the "dont lift a finger the butler will do it all" task.
    Nothing to do with class more to do with her worrying about not gettting a luxury budget to feed her fat arse.

I've also heard (unconfirmed at present but Maggot from GLC said it on sky news)that someone told Shilpa to go back to where she came from today- if its true then join the ****kking dots.

Racism happens as a result of this kind of ignorance,apparently we live in an educated & multicultural society & if someone in the public eye is too fukking lazy & self obsessed to care about offending people then they should not be given the time of day.

For all I know H from steps might be a member of the BNP but he's not doing anything to make me think that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just to make the point that bullying and racist behaviour go very much hand in hand. What is happening may not be racist per se, but the root of it is because Shilpa is foreign.
    kingsize wrote:
    someone told Shilpa to go back to where she came from today- if its true then join the ****kking dots.

The Danielle one said that, and said that Shilpa cant speak the language properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

For me, there have been a few things said which have bordered on racism, but I wouldn't have gone so far as me complaining that it is racism, the sort of stupid jokes the girls and jack have made. Stuff thats bordering on being racism shouldn't be said, but its more somebody be ignorant and disrespectful. I think the bullying is more about the girls being jealous of the type of person shilpa is and feeling insecure around her, not about her being from india, like the anti bullying spokes person linked to above said^^

Danielle's exact words were "I think she should f*** off home", and that did sound like a racist comment. I do have a problem with that

Shilpas is being bullied for no good reason by jade and the other girls, she shouldn't have to change or do anything about it, the other girls(& jack) are in the wrong and hopefully will get what they deserve, karma being a bitch and all

edit: actually the antibullying thing link was on the other thread http://www.louiseburfittdons.com/speeches/speeches6.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Just to make the point that bullying and racist behaviour go very much hand in hand. What is happening may not be racist per se, but the root of it is because Shilpa is foreign.

This is exactly what I was saying earlier. I think those of you that reckon it is also a class issue are dead right too. It's a combination of things. She is dignified, ladylike, full of respect for herself and others around her. She won't discuss sex and comes from a completely different cultural and familial backround - Jade & co just cannot understand this so one of them gets so bothered by it she just goes on a hate fuelled rant and the rest giggle like the idiots that they are.

Channel 4 are saying that until Shilpa herself declares it as racism, then it isn't and tonight, she did when sitting up in bed - so what are they going to do now? Also, seen as a lot of the sniggers and comments have occured behind Shilpa's back, how is she supposed to hear them in order to make a decision as to whether she is a victim of racism or not? We can see what is going on when she is not in the room, all she sees is Jade getting on her case and the others giggling.

I think the 3 girls AND JACK WHO EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE FORGOTTEN IN THIS WHOLE THING should be thrown out.

The fact is that everyone has differing opinions on what racism is. It's so hard to define that it is inevitable that disagreements occur - look at this forum alone. I'm well aware, however, of the racist card being pulled out too often and losing it's meaning - BUT does crying wolf mean that every case should be ignored because it's bound to be nothing?

I think tonight's outburst by Jade proves that she just absolutely abhorrs the woman for whatever reason. Shilpa's comment about her only having Big Brother for a career really struck a chord.

Finally, if Danielle saying " She should f*ck off home" isn't racism, well then I don't know what is.

This house is a microcosm of what people are suffering daily on the outside so it doesn't deserve any less attention - in fact highlighting this could do no end of good for anti-bullying campaigners and Shilpa could be a role model for people out there who are being bullied for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

oh dear lord. my heart bleeds.

no, wait... it's actually my eyes that are bleeding.
    kingsize wrote:
    Why isn't it racism? cos they haven't used the word N_igger ??
    that is the most ridiculous statement i have ever seen and i have made some really ridiculous statements in my time.

this is just jealousy on the part of the three girls and idiocy by the non-entity that is jades boyfriend.

Shilpa is a class act and has a larger audience than any of these no-hopers could ever imagine and they resent her for it. it has nothing to do with her background or the colour of her skin. it's just pure and utter resentment. also, she's far better looking than the rest of them which is also getting them riled up.

racism me bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Have changed my mind a bit now and think alot of their comments are very racist, although they are probably not racist people as in they would not actively view someone inferior beacuase of race, what they are saying has become very racist, but it is still probably more stupidity and ignorence more than anything else.
    oh and Jack is a bad as the girls - knobhead

Julep is also probably right - they are jealous more than anything and feel inferior to Shilpa, hence the need to bully her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Im an irish born indian. And ive seen quite a few of her movies.

Im not a big brother viewer but have been following this saga. I cant believe that it makes the number 1 news story on sky news.

The two worst offenders of this whole saga are the 2 girls who always laugh when Jade goes off her head. by the sounds of it they are the worst kind of bullies...they rile Jade up completely when Shilpa is not around hem and then when she goes off on one they just sit their and laugh their heads off. and once they arguement is over they rile Jade up even more.

They do make alot of comments about Shilpas heritage and culture which are boderline racism but they have yet to cross the line.

I do think that the main reason for the trios actions are not to do with Shilpas race but it is hjust pure jealousy of her beauty and success.

as a side note did channel 4 decide for themselves to put jade and shilpa up for eviction or was their nominations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

julep wrote:
    oh dear lord. my heart bleeds.

no, wait... it's actually my eyes that are bleeding.

that is the most ridiculous statement i have ever seen and i have made some really ridiculous statements in my time.

I have to admit I was taking the piss a little there but i wouldn't go so far as to say it's ridiculous, but it seems that using that word is the benchmark for Racist behavior these days.
    What i really meant by this was Just how far does it have to go to prove to people that it is racist.????

What Danielle said was racist pure & simple - If she had've said it to Shilpa's face the producers would have no option but to send her packing.In fact i cant believe the little BI_ch is still there.

Compare this to Ron Atkinson's comments a few years ago an off the cuff comment among freinds which was racist & went out on national tv .
    If his mic hadve been switched off we wouldnt have heard what he said , he still said it though ..

Perhaps you've never been in a foreign country & been told to fukk off back home,I have & it's not nice.

Also bear in mind that there might be a whole load of unseen footage not fit for broadcast,BB is one of the most censored shows on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Washout wrote:
    as a side note did channel 4 decide for themselves to put jade and shilpa up for eviction or was their nominations?
    I'm sure they probably would have, lol, but it actually turned out that way in the noms.
    Jade, Dani, Jack, Jo & fence sitter Cleo (thinking in the girls best interests) voted for shilpa

Dirk, Shilpa, Jermaine, Ian, Cleo - > Jade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ive been saying for a while now that cleo is not only a fence sitter but shes also a phoney
    this was confirmed last night when she nominated shillpa
    she probably thinks that by nominating both shilpa and jade
    the 2 persons at the centre of this controversy in the house , that she will be able to keep in everyones good books outside and thus increase her chances of voting
    with big bro , the least controversial ones often end up winning
    so its tactical with cleo , she has no career , she could use the win

irish_bob wrote:
    she probably thinks that by nominating both shilpa and jade
    the 2 persons at the centre of this controversy in the house , that she will be able to keep in everyones good books outside and thus increase her chances of voting
    with big bro , the least controversial ones often end up winning
    so its tactical with cleo , she has no career , she could use the win
    or... by voting for both of them it would mean that there's a better chance of the two of them being up together and therefore one of them would have to leave the house.

Advertisement