Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post

Options
  • 13-01-2007 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I recently ordered something from the UK and it was to be delivered by normal mail. I recieved it during the week and was shocked. The envelope (it was just something small) it was delivered in was ripped open and the contents were gone. It was sealed in a clear plastic envelope which was from an post and was printed with a message that the envelope had been damaged in transit and apologies etc. the problem is that I have an envelope from what I ordered but no contents. Surely they can't do that! I understand that things get damaged in the post but I can't contact the seller as technically they sent what I ordered. The writing on the plastic envelope from an post (which I can't find now) was in the tone of "these things happen" and seemed to consider the matter closed.

Is there any point in contacting An Post? Surely the item is long gone (especially since I have the empty envelope with my name and address in which it was sent).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

invadernim wrote:
    I recently ordered something from the UK and it was to be delivered by normal mail. I recieved it during the week and was shocked. The envelope (it was just something small) it was delivered in was ripped open and the contents were gone. It was sealed in a clear plastic envelope which was from an post and was printed with a message that the envelope had been damaged in transit and apologies etc. the problem is that I have an envelope from what I ordered but no contents. Surely they can't do that! I understand that things get damaged in the post but I can't contact the seller as technically they sent what I ordered. The writing on the plastic envelope from an post (which I can't find now) was in the tone of "these things happen" and seemed to consider the matter closed.

Is there any point in contacting An Post? Surely the item is long gone (especially since I have the empty envelope with my name and address in which it was sent).

I would ring them and kick up a real stink! I mean it was yours and they broke/stole it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

im findin them to be completely negligent
    ordere stuff from the uk sent to me before new years , still no sign of it.
    i got some stuff too that seemed to be opened but luckly contents were still in it

it looks to me like a third world country postal service and the fees that they charge when i have to send stuff in relation especially of the quality of the service are too high

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

No insurace - no comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

That's terrible, very disappointing. There's info about what to do about damaged mail here: http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/cust-howwehelp.htm#damaged_post There's a form you can download, fill in and send back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Maybe it was damaged on the UK side? Both cases mentioned here originate in the UK. Wasn't there some undercover programme on C4 last year about Royal Mail staff robbing stuff? I'm not saying that's definitely the case but consider it before you savage some unfortunate customer service person in An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sarsfield wrote:
    Maybe it was damaged on the UK side? Both cases mentioned here originate in the UK. Wasn't there some undercover programme on C4 last year about Royal Mail staff robbing stuff? I'm not saying that's definitely the case but consider it before you savage some unfortunate customer service person in An Post.

The original poster had a letter from An Post in the clear bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't think you'll have much luck, but someone has tampered with your mail and tampering with mail is a crime in both the UK and Ireland. Someone really should be able to tell you whether the mail arrived like that from the UK, or whether it happened here.

You should certainly fill out the form.

I guess you can make a complaint to the Gardai at this end and to the Police at the far end. Probably won't do much good though.

There is an agency called Postwatch in the UK which investigates these things on the UK end.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The original poster had a letter from An Post in the clear bag.

This is standard procedure when an item is found damaged. If any loose items are found, they are usually sent to the Returned Letters Bureau in Killarney, where they are documented and kept. Contact An Post customer services on 1850 575859 and they should be able to request a search for you.

The other possibility is that the letter may have arrived in Ireland in that condition so you may have to contact Royal Mail as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

j4vier wrote:
    im findin them to be completely negligent
    ordere stuff from the uk sent to me before new years , still no sign of it.
    i got some stuff too that seemed to be opened but luckly contents were still in it

it looks to me like a third world country postal service and the fees that they charge when i have to send stuff in relation especially of the quality of the service are too high
    I ordered a book from london which took 5 weeks to get here,
    we were told there was some strike or something at the english sorting office which was why the delays
    I finally got it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

bluewolf wrote:
    I ordered a book from london which took 5 weeks to get here,
    we were told there was some strike or something at the english sorting office which was why the delays
    I finally got it last week.

There wasn't a strike. All those cancelled flights out of London just before Christmas also included mail. This left a huge backlog which is taking time to clear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement