Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Puddin!

Options
  • 13-01-2007 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

So whats the deal with this Black pudding. it's absolutely gorgeous. once you get over the congealed blood... what's the best one???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Clonakilty. No question about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Puddin

heard of it. but wot about shaws n galtee. is there something wrong with them.
    I was told to spread it on toast, kinda like butter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Yeah thats nice. Black pudding sandwiches are great aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

Also a big fan of black Pudding, Rudd's for me. Scrambled egg, with black pudding on toasted ciabatta...yum yum in my tum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

toiletduck wrote:
    Clonakilty. No question about it
    agreed,its lovely fried till crispy and added to mash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hicks is good, most proper butchers ones are, unless they have massive chunks of fat which I hate. If they do they must be cooked very slowly to dissolve it out. I sometimes get it and skin it and crumble it up, then grill/fry bake. It is also nice to crumble and add to stuffing for chicken or turkey.

Many of the supermarkets do the more traditional ones in packs weighed and costed by weight, but for some reason you nearly always have to get black & white, I love the black far more. Fried blood n guts, mmmm....

I used to split them in 2 lengthways and make hot dogs, or batter the white ones for a massive batter sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

rubadub wrote:
    It is also nice to crumble and add to stuffing for chicken or turkey.

Yes, it's lovely in stuffing.

My friend cooked me a Spanish style dish a while back with fried black pudding and rice and raisins. I've googled it but can't find out what it's called. Absolutely delicious.

Clonakilty is my favourite type - I love the barley bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭col16

Athea black pudding is the best of all .This is the closest you will get to the real homemade farmhouse puddins of long ago. Athea is a small village in West Limerick so not sure if their famous Black and White is available outside limerick. It would be well worth searching though as it is just mouth watering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

clonakilty blakc pudding is great fried and mashed into turnips and potatoes, or spread on hot buttered toast.

shaws do a much better white pudding than clonakilty do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

They do a nice one out in Westport which is a a two-in-one - a white pudding surrounded with a layer of the black stuff. I'm guessing similar puddings can be found elsewhere too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have to go with Rudds for black and white puddings Clonakilty is pretty tasteless and dry compared with Rudds.
    Stauntons used to be good but i find it a bit salty now.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

rubadub wrote:
    I used to split them in 2 lengthways and make hot dogs, or batter the white ones for a massive batter sausage

Jeezus holy smoke!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Black pudding + hot buttered toast + cup of tea = perfect hangover cure! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mullmick

I am a clonakilty fan too.
    My only issue with clonakilty black is that it crumbles almost impossibly if you grill it...probably a result of its very grainy texture, which I suppose it ones of its highlights

the white stuff keeps its shape nicely though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

World's greatest hangover cure involving black pudding (preferably of the Clonakilty variety):

Lightly toast 2 slices of brown sliced pan

Spread with a mixture of mayonaise and crushed garlic or ketchup or mango chutney

Fry up some black pudding

Fry up an egg or 2 for 3 mins so that it's cooked but the yolk is still runny

Insert the eggs and pudding between the toast

Wash it down with a glass of coke........mmmmmmmmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Just had a feed of Athea Black and White puddings and they are the biz. Having eaten all types from Adelaide to Westport, I would rate these the best. Must ask the local deli if they can source them. Does anyone know if they sell in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

4 yr zombie thread ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

McCormacks of Dundalk have been making them since the 30s none better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

rudds and hodgins are lovely and the supervalu own brand is suprisingly very nice as well

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

You should try the Spanish black pudding it's called Morcilla and it has a slight spicy kick to it, its amazing

cz-20-2?defaultImage=placeholder_280x280&$reg_280$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

D1976 wrote: »
    You should try the Spanish black pudding it's called Morcilla and it has a slight spicy kick to it, its amazing

Is it available in many places?

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Is it available in many places?

The odd time that Lidl do the Spanish food I think it can be got then but otherwise online. You should try it though its class

http://www.thetapaslunchcompany.co.uk/spanish-food/chorizo-jamon-meats/morcilla_black_pudding_200_g

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If you can get it, McCarthy's of Kanturk, their Black pudding is streets ahead of anything, even clonakilty, and is the only irish one to be awarded La Confrérie des Chevaliers du Goûte Boudin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

You are all sick individuals and i mean that in the nicest way possible :D

You are all sick individuals and i mean that in the nicest way possible :D

I wonder do you eat sausages? Do you know what's in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Clonakilty is the only way!! :) Gorgeous stuff, mushed up with a fried egg and some beans of a hangover morning.. yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭papermaker

black pudding hasn't been the same since the EU banned the use of liquid blood..it's all this dried stuff now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

papermaker wrote: »
    black pudding hasn't been the same since the EU banned the use of liquid blood..it's all this dried stuff now :eek:

Down the sticks, if you know the right people you can still get pudding made with real blood.
    I've been abroad for the past 6 months and when I get home the first thing I'm going to eat is black pudding on brown bread. Good black pudding is a true delicacy. Quite partial to eating a slice of it cold from the wrapper as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

If you do a bit of research you'll find there is lots of fresh blood pudding to be had, totally legally, and usually of a very high quality from artisan producers. If you want an accessible fresh blood pudding, then Truly Irish, available in many supermarkets, is made from fresh blood, though they don't shout about it. Apparently they are somewhat fearful it would put people off.

There never was a ban on fresh blood pudding. Its just that the food safety regulations became so onerous that many producers couln't be arsed with it anymore. In the last few years demand has lead to a revival of interest and Fresh Blood black pudding is now being championed, by Slow Food Ireland, among others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭sudzs

I'm in England and miss Clonakilty black pudding. :(

But have found the next best thing! Ramseys Black Pudding from Scotland. Have to order it online though, but it is a really really good bit of pud! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement