Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawers - Repairing Broken or Stuck Drawers

Options
  • 13-01-2007 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Can anyone suggest a website or other source of information on how to fix broken or stuck timber drawers in a sideboard or dressing table or similar. How do you remove the individual drawers from the cabinet? The Ultimatehandyman website has no information on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

A bit hard to picture what your asking Ernest. Stuck drawer's, why are they stuck? too tight? painted or stained and replaced too soon and the paint has bonded. Drawer's, as you know, are made to pull in and out,unless of course they are blanks. Usually pulling a drawer untill it reaches the end of it's runner will..ehh, leave it in your hand. TBH, I'm flumoxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Actually I wanted to remove a dressing table drawers in order to re-fit the "floor" of one drawer which has become detached from the "front wall" of the drawer in which it sits but when I pull the drawer out it does not come out in my hand but is held in place by something. I have tried tilting it downward gently to see if that frees it as with some drawers but not this one. Thats the problem. I mentioned sticking only to see if there was a general "knowledge base" on drawer problems generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

apply candle grease as you pull shove, that was the old way of doing things

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

Ernest wrote:
    Actually I wanted to remove a dressing table drawers in order to re-fit the "floor" of one drawer which has become detached from the "front wall" of the drawer in which it sits but when I pull the drawer out it does not come out in my hand but is held in place by something. I have tried tilting it downward gently to see if that frees it as with some drawers but not this one. Thats the problem. I mentioned sticking only to see if there was a general "knowledge base" on drawer problems generally.

Some drawers have a sort of plastic tongue which faces forward and is fixed to the underside of the drawer base. So when you pull the drawer out, this tongue catches on the furniture's frame.

By simply pushing it up from below (e.g. open the drawer underneath to get your hand in and feel the underside of the drawer above to push the tongue up), you allow the tongue to clear the frame and the drawer comes out.

No idea if this is a solution for your dresser, but I recently got a chest of drawers which had this feature.

Advertisement