Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major monument for Limerick?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

In all fairness KM - but why again this litany with the Dublin media?

another view: maybe the CC is not mad about the foreign visitors at all!? but at the other hand a million domestic visitors is the quarter of ireland's population. then maybe the rugby thing might work a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

In all fairness KM - but why again this litany with the Dublin media?

another view: maybe the CC is not mad about the foreign visitors at all!? but at the other hand a million domestic visitors is the quarter of ireland's population. then maybe the rugby thing might work a bit.

Dude, lets not get in trouble for hijacking threads again!:D

I was just noting the fact that whenever media refer to Limerick in a good light, it tends to be about rugby.
    Most of Limericks "good press", so to speak, comes from rugby. So you can see why the City Council would want to try and latch on to and promote that.
    I wasn't having a pop or anything, just replying to another posters point about the slight obsession Limerick City Council has with rugby at the moment.

As for the whole tourist thing, it's not that far fetched.
    Millions fly into Shannon airport every year. Most flights that come in from America stop at Shannon, and don't forget Shannon is Ryan Airs' hub airport.
    When the council refer to a million extra tourists, they're not only talking about people just visiting Limerick.
    People passing through Limerick are just being more encouraged to spend the day here, or stay for a night or two in one of the new hotels.
    The largest complaint made to Limerick tourism last year was that people didn't know about Limerick before they got here, so they never planned any time here.
    The council is just trying to rectify that.

Dude, lets not get in trouble for hijacking threads again!:D

computer says NOOOOOO.....
    Most flights that come in from America stop at Shannon.

Aren't that just one-hour stop overs on the way to Dublin or the US?

Aren't that just one-hour stop overs on the way to Dublin or the US?

That stopover thing is going in a year or so.
    Before all flights had to stop at Shannon, but that's changing now.
    It wasn't and isn't all stopovers though.
    If you're coming from America to visit relations in Kerry, or because you want to see the West of Ireland, it's not exactly practical to fly to Dublin, just so you can drive or take a train back is it.
    Plus like I said, Ryan Air, which flies more passengers than any other carrier in Europe (third biggest in the World behind Delta and Pan-Am in America), has more flights based in Shannon than anywhere else.

As I alluded to earlier, in a survey that was done by Tourism Limerick of people flying home from Shannon, the number one complaint was that they didn't know about Limerick in advance and so didn't arrange time to spend here.
    Even if this new attraction only brought in 500,000 extra tourist, who each spent say €100 here (which you'll have to admit is a wildly conservative estimate), that's still a €50,000,000 injection into the local economy.
    In a few years this thing will pay for itself.

If it's not the usual kind of over-hyped, over-priced, over-timed, piece of crap that Irish governments seem to constantly try and force on us, that is!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

shannon is more of a hub of ryanair than dublin airport, thats news to me...
    also didnt know ryanair had the 3rd most passengers in the world
    you learn something new everyday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Plus like I said, Ryan Air, which flies more passengers than any other carrier in Europe (third biggest in the World behind Delta and Pan-Am in America), has more flights based in Shannon than anywhere else.

Well this is pretty strange seeing as Pan-Am went backrupt in 1991, or unless you are talking about this crowd which has 6 destinations, but I'm not sure that would give them the statisof the worlds seond largest airline.

Also Shannon Airport is one of 15 or so secondary hubs in Europe. Their base in Dublin in much larger then in Shannon and never mind their primary base in Stansted, London....

Sorry I meant American Airlines, not Pan-Am.

I went back and read the thing article about Shannon as well.
    RyanAir are in the process of setting up 16 new routes to Shannon, which according to RyanAir would make it more used by them than Dublin, if you discounted flights between Stansted and Dublin.
    That's it's most used flight, but as you can imagine it's mostly ex pats visiting family.
    The article was just worded really badly, and I picked it up wrong.

My point still stands though. If this thing can bring in 500,000 even just for a day trip or a one night stay, then that's at very (very), least €50,000,000 being injected into the economy.
    This thing doesn't have to be a world beater, just something recognisable.

I just read here http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0@2-3246,36-853826@51-853150,0.html
    that the french government wants to allow a museum in Abou Dhabi to use the name "LOUVRE" and it wants to send some pieces of their original LOUVRE collection to there. Imagine this in Limerick.

BUT: here http://www.latribunedelart.com/Liste_petition.htm already 3000 "prominent" people signed a petition agains those plans.

Imagine going to the Limerick Tate or the Limerick Museum Of Modern Art!

EDIT: Dear City Council! Just incase I made you to think that this is a great idea I expect a Motormouth Mable Memorial Hall in that new museum!

My point still stands though. If this thing can bring in 500,000 even just for a day trip or a one night stay, then that's at very (very), least €50,000,000 being injected into the economy.

People on day trips and overnight stays are each going to pump €100,000 into the Limerick economy?! Wow... I know Ireland is an expensive holiday destination but....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

Maths was never exactly my favourite subject but I think that works out at €100, not €100,000...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I was just noting the fact that whenever media refer to Limerick in a good light, it tends to be about rugby.
    Usually, yes, but even the rugby articles have been hijacked by the begrudgers lately, according to other threads, so I can't for the life of me see how MMM is still trying to claim there isn't a problem/prejudice in the Dublin-based media (but yeah, that's for another thread).

Basically, ANY city should promote what's good about it - and in Limerick's case there's a lot more than just sport - but yeah, the only "good news" stories that you're likely to see in any major form are rugby-related.

The thing is, though, EVERYONE knows we've the best rugby team, and as was already said, rugby folk come here even when the match is on in Dublin, so they obviously know about the reputation of the city in this regard.

Maybe we should try highlighting some of the other good things ?

The route to Thomond Park is still a good idea, since most of the historical sites are along that route, but why not let Munster and rubgy speak for themselves and start promoting and developing all the other things ? After all, those 8 new hotels (in addition to the existing new ones and the refurbished ones) aren't being built for nothing......why not look at what's bringing people here, and then exploit (in the best sense of the word) and build on that, improving every other aspect of city life as well ?

Just a thought.

People on day trips and overnight stays are each going to pump €100,000 into the Limerick economy?! Wow... I know Ireland is an expensive holiday destination but....

dv wrote:
    Maths was never exactly my favourite subject but I think that works out at €100, not €100,000...

Thank you.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

dv wrote:

€100, €100,000 ... its all the same. haha... yeah, maths wasnt and still isnt my subject, point taken.... i'll refrain from statistics for the moment. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

€100, €100,000 ... its all the same.

Any chance I could get a loan of €100 from you ? I'll pay you back - in full - next week! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

You can't realistically compare them to the Cranberries!:rolleyes:

this isnt totally directed at you KF, just couldnt find the post i originally wanted to quote re: the cranberries.
    just wanted to say i dont quite get this "the cranberries werent that great" thing that seems to go on in ireland.i agree they arent up there with u2 or the beatles, but they definately have/had fans. they were really big outside of ireland (i asked santa for an album of theirs when i was ten)..and still meet the odd american that are like "oh! the cranberries are from there!" when ive said i lived in limerick. dolores (have to admit, she is a tad wierd) recently had a cameo in adam sandlers movie "click" singing at his daughters wedding (it was also the song that he first kissed his wife to in the movie)..i thought was was really indicative of their popularity that the production team chose to include that song and her in the movie. the post office still get sackfuls of mail addressed to the band too...
    so if there was to be a walking tour of limerick (which i think is a good idea..) or something similar leaving out the cranberries in some form or another would be ignoring a piece of limericks history in a way.

just my thoughts on a hot friday afternoon after a sh!t day at work! so scuse the nonexistant sense of this post!

dv wrote:

I know, I laughed when I saw that too!:D
    ellenmelon wrote:
    this isnt totally directed at you KF, just couldnt find the post i originally wanted to quote re: the cranberries.
    just wanted to say i dont quite get this "the cranberries werent that great" thing that seems to go on in ireland.i agree they arent up there with u2 or the beatles, but they definately have/had fans. they were really big outside of ireland (i asked santa for an album of theirs when i was ten)..and still meet the odd american that are like "oh! the cranberries are from there!" when ive said i lived in limerick. dolores (have to admit, she is a tad wierd) recently had a cameo in adam sandlers movie "click" singing at his daughters wedding (it was also the song that he first kissed his wife to in the movie)..i thought was was really indicative of their popularity that the production team chose to include that song and her in the movie. the post office still get sackfuls of mail addressed to the band too...
    so if there was to be a walking tour of limerick (which i think is a good idea..) or something similar leaving out the cranberries in some form or another would be ignoring a piece of limericks history in a way.

just my thoughts on a hot friday afternoon after a sh!t day at work! so scuse the nonexistant sense of this post!

I was just referring to somebody mentioning the Beatles in reference to tourism in Liverpool.
    They were making the point that even though Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world, tourism isn't solely devoted to football, with the the Beatles also used to bring in tourists.
    I wasn't saying anything bad about the Cranberries per say, just that they (or any other band for that matter) can't be compared to the Beatles.
    As for the idea of a Cranberries statue. I think that a band has to do something fairly special to warrant that.
    I can't imagine a Franz Ferdinand statue appearing in Glasgow or wherever they're from.
    Sure that Cranberries had their success, but not "statue" success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

I know, I laughed when I saw that too!:D

i think that Limerick should get a tower like the one in seattle (the seattle tower), obviousley not as tall, except the building at the top of it should be in the shape of a rugby ball. This is Limericks time to prove that we are sporting capital of Ireland and an almost insane, yet plausable tower like this would be an iconic addition to Limericks skyline, it would almost look like an outstretched arm (like in a lineout) grabbing the ball. forget about fountains and all that, we can accept that that idea is more of a galway or dublin idea. does anyone know what im on about? im telling you it would be a class idea and i speak for everyone when i say that there would be no objections!
    let me know what you all think of this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

orignal D-A-V-E i do like the idea but honestly can't seem them building a tower

Advertisement