Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vrt arithmetic

Options
  • 13-01-2007 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

yet another vrt thread!!

can someone check my sums. you buy your car from the uk. you check ros.ie. they charge you for example, 25% of the OMSP. fine. but isn't the OMSP based on a depreciating vrt inflated price?

if the car was €50k new, in ireland it is based on €40k plus €10k VRT. if the OMSP is now half of the origiinal purchase price, shouldn't the vrt be half of the original non vrt'd price.

ie your car's value should be made up €20k+vrt instead of €25k+vrt

it's as if they're charging you vrt twice on a portion of the value.

is this right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its not the only incident of double taxation in this country you know, you know its a rip-off and I know its a rip-off but see how far you'll get if you try and take issue with the Revenue Commissioners.:rolleyes: You'll spend many years bound up in red tape and paper work and your great great grandchildren might reap the rewards but I wouldn't bank on it mind you.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Hi,

I just VRT'ed my car last week. Based on this I am going to file an appeal on the VRT and see what happens.

Doing a google search I find from http://www.fixmytax.com/faq-vehicle-registr.html this quote
    4. How is the Tax calculated?

In the case of cars and small vans, the tax is a percentage of the expected retail price, including all taxes in the State. This price is known as the Open Market Selling Price or OMSP. The VRO will calculate this tax for you or you may obtain the details online at Vehicle Registration on-line Enquiry System.

I just want to confim that the OMSP is indeed the value of the car including the VRT.

Doing my sums - I imported a 2001 S2000.

This has an OMSP of 20807 and VRT was calculated at 6242

A new s2000 is 56620 RRP of which VRT = 16986

These are from the ROS website

Therefore of the 20807 which is 130% of the retail + VAT price, means that the correct (if my calculations are correct) VRT should be 4801.62, leaving me shortchanged by 1140.38

Before I appeal I need confirmation my OMSP assumption . Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Advertisement