Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capello: Beckham's Real Madrid career is over

• 13-01-2007 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭

David Beckham will never play for Real Madrid again, according to the club's Italian coach Fabio Capello.

The former England captain, 31, has agreed a move to LA Galaxy in the USA when his contract in Spain expires at the end of June.

But Capello has apparently ruled out any chance of Beckham playing a role for his side in the remaining months of his contract.

'Beckham will train with the team but he won't play,' Capello told a press conference.

His omission from Real's plans is sure to draw interest from clubs looking for a short-term loan deal, or Galaxy could even look to take him to California in time for the start of the MLS season in April.

Asked whether Beckham might leave the Bernabeu before the end of his contract, Capello insisted: 'You will have to ask Beckham that question.'

The former Manchester United midfielder this week signed a five-year deal worth a reported £128million with the American side, after finding his first-team opportunities in Spain limited following the arrival of the former AC Milan, Roma and Juventus coach last summer.

Capello added: 'The decision of the player is to go to Los Angeles, he has always been a great professional, but a player who has such an important contract with another club, we cannot count on him. He is not going to play any more.'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He wont go on loan to another club, i doubt LA would allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

He wont go on loan to another club, i doubt LA would allow it.
    LA have no right to say what he does while he's contracted to Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

LA have no right to say what he does while he's contracted to Madrid.

But they might tell Beckham not to go on loan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It has to be awkward for everyone having someone like that training with the team but with no chance of him playing, it might make more sense for him to go off somewhere on loan, but where? :confused:

why not just release him from his contract? If he goes on loan and gets a serious injury its tits up for his deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

why not just release him from his contract? If he goes on loan and gets a serious injury its tits up for his deal.

His contract is up at the end of the season anyway so no skin off Real's nose if he gets injured, on eay or another he's gone from Madrid at the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Real still have to pay him every week, may as well cut their losses and release him.

kdjac

Stekelly wrote:
    His contract is up at the end of the season anyway so no skin off Real's nose if he gets injured, on eay or another he's gone from Madrid at the end of the season.

I know his contract is up, but thats why i cant see him going on loan. As Bateman said, training with a player who will never play is pretty pointless and must be a bit annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I know his contract is up, but thats why i cant see him going on loan. As Bateman said, training with a player who will never play is pretty pointless and must be a bit annoying.
    Real obviously want to teach him a lesson or two and knock him off his high perch.I cant really blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Teach him a lesson for what?
    They aren't playing him this season, and they only want him to stay another 2 years for marketing reasons, Capello has made it clear he doesn't rate him. What's Beckham to do? Sit on the bench for 2 years to allow Real to make a ****load of money, or go to America and make the money for himself.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Teach him a lesson for what?
    They aren't playing him this season, and they only want him to stay another 2 years for marketing reasons, Capello has made it clear he doesn't rate him. What's Beckham to do? Sit on the bench for 2 years to allow Real to make a ****load of money, or go to America and make the money for himself.
    Mostly true but I guess in their minds they view no one player being bigger than a club and Beckham most certainly doesnt believe that anymore.
    Real helped create him and they can help destroy him if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

KdjaCL wrote:
    Real still have to pay him every week, may as well cut their losses and release him.

Exactly.. 6 months in Italy with a top team might see him win something for a change, and would mean we'd be able to see if he's still able to play at a decent level. Not that he'll have to once he goes to the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I imagine he will just go to LA early in time for the season starting in April. There is no reason for him to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Mostly true but I guess in their minds they view no one player being bigger than a club and Beckham most certainly doesnt believe that anymore.
    You'd swear Beckham was the first player ever to agree terms using the Bosman rule :rolleyes:

You'd swear Beckham was the first player ever to agree terms using the Bosman rule :rolleyes:
    Ah my old friend Mr Turkey.;)
    Seems Beckham only found out he was surplus to Capellos plans from tv reports after he returned home from training today.
    Strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Hmm? If anything, Beckham's star has only fallen since he joined Real. Perhaps the may be able to "destroy" his career but they most cewrtainly did not create it or his off-field career.

If Real are not going to use Beckham for the rest of the season, then they should release him (should he request an early termination of his contract or otherwise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Beckham was a global megastar before he ever went near Real Madrid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Reyes might get a few more million on to his value now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Out of all the posts from all of the Beckham threads (which there seems to be quite a few considering he's a player that's "passed it") this has to be the most ridiculous of the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

OMG, what a load of utter tosh :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement