Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom League players moving abroad

• 13-01-2007 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Good thing bad thing?

Stephen Kenny dunfermline
    Forde* Cardiff free
    Bryne* Cardiff 200k
    Ward+ Wolves 200k
    Murphy* MWell free
    Molloy* MWell 100k
    Keegan* MWell free
    Dillon* Dundee 25k
    O Callaghan* Ipswich 30k
    Ryan* Dunfermlin 25k

*played in Europe, +u21 caps

Personally i think its a good thing for a few reasons, its a step up for the players in some cases, its more money, it shows EL does create decent players.

Molloy for one has played for everyone, but in my opinion he played his best football for Pats hence us the only fans that like the guy as he always gave 100% when playing for us, now he has doubled his money and got a near 3 year contract to play in the SPL a big step up "Molloy looks like a tricky player" quote from a Well fan which pretty much sums up molloy.

Also now there are actual irish players playing abroad who may get a call up now they not in the EL but at least they are actuallly irish rather than **** Clinton Morrision type english players.

Some EL fans will bemoan the transfer fees and even say its a step down, but pats got 100k for 2 players and replaced them with player of the year Ndo and possibly best striker ever O Neil and still have change to sign Fitzpatrick off Drogs. So happy days for us.

Not so for Cork who will lose what i would call the only EL 1 million euro player for 30k. O Callaghan is worth a million easy and Cork are about to be ripped off by the player and whatever club signs him. Shels will get a few quid which will help them operate this season but should get a lot more.

For me its a good thing and it improves the league and keeps the "football ladder" working, we now have to look into the league to replace these players so opertunities for more players to get paid to play football.

Also shows that young players can play in the EL and still get a move rather than playing for Yeovil town etc:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,438-2545328,00.html

kdjac

Good or bad for the league? 36 votes

Good for the league, good for players
    0% 0 votes
    Bad for league, good for players
    41% 15 votes
    Bad for league and players
    55% 20 votes
    Atari jaguar
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Very good for the league.
    We might at last get a more realistic integration with schoolboy level. As it is, starry-eyed schoolboy coaches are generally trying to bypass the league. Working through it is a far more rational way of doing things. Even if we do lose a few to the joys of playing in the lower reaches of the Scottish Premierleague, the overall effect will be to raise the standard.
    Ward is a good example. He's a good player, but he's not indispensable, and we can buy others to replace him. As it is, I'm looking forward to seeing how Darren Mansaram works out for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I suppose it's good news all round. The clubs need the money. But wouldn't it also be good news to see a player decide to stay with a club over here rather than jump at the first club over there that offers him a trial? Or would that be a simple case of a lack of ambition? I dunno, I'm certainly not going to say that the Ward deal wasn't great for us, of course it was, but I'd hate to think that ALL the best players are just going to be mowed up in one go on an annual basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cannot see how this is in anyway a good for the eL. We are losing players, even avergae players like Molloy and Keegan, and not replacing them. Sure, it shows that there can be good players over here, but what good is that if we are not recieving decent money for them which can be re invested into clubs facilities and or players.

Of the above the only 2 decent fees are for Byrne (is that a done deal?) and Ward. Mooloy is a decent fee as well considering his ability. The O Callaghan deal is far from done, Dillion was supposedly sold with his prior knowledge. The eL is being looked at as an easy spot to pick up players on the cheap, as proven by Readings most recent insult to Cork City, and Southends, frankly pathetic and laughable, bid for Roy O Donovan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Gimmick, did CCFC not allow themselves to be maniuplated buy Dolan, his brother, and Reading? If so, their fault.

Manipulated by Dolan yes, the rest is history. City have learned their lesson after the whole Doyle affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not voting in the poll as there are pluses and minuses.

Pluses:
    Money coming into the league.
    Recognition that there are quality players in the league.
    Players succeed abroad-clubs come back to buy more and prepared to pay more.
    Maybe some will break into NT. NT would be so much more Irish with ex-EL players in it than chancers like St Ledger, Morrison, McAteer, et al.

Minuses:
    Quality players leaving the league.
    No guarantee that future fees will increase-some are actually going for free though this is a fact of life now.
    Possible insult to EL if player is suddenly called up to NT squad straight after move abroad.

The upsurge in transfers of eircom League players to British clubs is good for the game here, says Bohs manager Seán Connor.
    In an interview for a major feature by The Irish Sun’s Neil O’Riordan, Connor says that the sudden new trend brings higher fees and greater credit to the league.
    (Fenlon takes the opposite view).
    bohemians.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Zebra3 wrote:
    Possible insult to EL if player is suddenly called up to NT squad straight after move abroad.

Murphy will play for Ireland soon enoough.
    (Fenlon takes the opposite view).

As he looks to Viking land for players :rolleyes:

Bohs and pats good examples of selling abroad and replacing from within EL.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

imo, more money coming into the league, if invested properly, i.e. into the youth system, is only a good thing for the league in the long run. If you have a country whose population is this small, the best you can ever hope for is something like in Scotland, and that's based on building up strong internal talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Bad for the league and a mixed bag for the players.

It's not a good at all for any league to lose their top players. If clubs are recieving adequate transfer fees for their players then that may compensate some of the damage to the clubs and the league by investing their money in youth systems but as we all know clubs (see first post) eL clubs are still recieving disgraceful sums in return. I know part of the problem is that our clubs are desperate for money and they don't help themselves and the leagues' cause in this regard but they're desperate and alot is down to many certain clubs living beyond their means. There needs to be a change in culture on some clubs part (hope you're reading this Ollie!) to improve what we recieve in return.

Recognition? Doesn't cut with me, if our league clubs are getting proper recognition then they'll get proper transfer fees, eL players will get international caps and more fans will attend games.... we know that's not happening and is unlikely to ever happen. Lets be honest, the eL is seen as a cheap shop window after the Kevin Doyle saga, cash strapped British clubs from their prospective are taking a chance on our players. Doyle has done great and better than anyone expected him to do but I feel expectations for the other players may be too high now and to their detriment. If there isn't another Kevin Doyle like ''phenomenon'' soon from one of eL exodus then British clubs wont sniff around the eL to the current extent.

Good for the players? On one side you can ask Kevin Doyle and on the other side you can ask Wes Hoolahan. Same for Richie Foran and Colin Hawkins. Really it is about joining the right club at the right time like Doyle did. I think going by the clubs the ex eL players have joined, most of them could be back here within a year or two. They will earn better money and if with a good 1st divsion club will improve their game but English football is too cuthroat for my liking, i wish them all the best of luck though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Won't do anything for the recognition of the league amongst football fans in Ireland, which would be the most important thing as that would lead to more people watching live football rather than Corination Street on a Friday evening. The same old attitude will prevail, sure the league is ****e, and anyone worth watching can now be seen on a telly. In 12 months, any other players that are really worthy of gracing the divine eyes of these people will also be over the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

When good transfer fees are received it is both good for the league and it's players , when they're not it's only good for the players . LOI players that move abroad can play at the same level and yet earn more money and publicity in front of bigger crowds .

I don't think Doyle and Hoolahan are on completely different side of things . Hoolahan has been playing very well at both Livingstone and Blackpool and he looks like he could be in the Championship soon , through either Blackpool gaining promotion or him being bought .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

gimmick wrote:
    Manipulated by Dolan yes, the rest is history. City have learned their lesson after the whole Doyle affair.

Ahem! Liam Kearney! Cough!

Once again, Kearney was offered a deal which he accepted, but a third party acting on his behalf (not Dolan) refused it in a mess of shouting and tears. Kearney did not want to leave CCFC, as was pretty much proved by his 'form' when he went to Tolka.

You can also say Danny Murphy and Neale Fenn, but both left after being offered deals. Fenn said he left with a heavy heart to Bohs, but he couldnt wait around for the new people to come in and wait for a better deal, which he may or may not have gotten. Danny Murphy left for a new challenge.

What lesson did they learn so?

Not to worry, you'll have Liam back soon enough! :)

What lesson did they learn so?

See my first post in this thread, and that should answer your question.

Ipswich will still get a bargain IMO.

Just hope contracts arent let run out in future.

Bargain of the century, but that is because City are desperate to sell and Ipswich know that. Remember, George is still being paid by City. The whole George situation has less to do with how contracts etc are dealt with at City and more to do with a daft situation where 2 egos have clashed, making everyone lose out as a result of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Won't do anything for the recognition of the league amongst football fans in Ireland, which would be the most important thing as that would lead to more people watching live football rather than Corination Street on a Friday evening. The same old attitude will prevail, sure the league is ****e, and anyone worth watching can now be seen on a telly. In 12 months, any other players that are really worthy of gracing the divine eyes of these people will also be over the water.
    I agree with this analysis.

Are any of the transfers grabbing sporting headlines in national newspapers or on TV? Not that I have noticed, and thus I dont see any raising of the profile of the league.

If I didnt read boards.ie, the only Eircom league transfer news I'd know of would be Kenny going to manage Dunfermline and three lads, one being Molloy, joined one of the mediocre Scottish sides at the same time.

The last League of Ireland transfer I remember receiving anything like the attention in Irish papers and TV as a big English transfer gets, was Liam O'Brien.

In any event, I would think a bix exodus of players from the league smells more like sinking ship than sign of improving quality, to those who know little about the league.

• Advertisement

Seems a deal has been done for George to Ipswich. Undisclosed fee.

What a great day for the eL, losing Byrne and O Callaghan to the Championship :(

Are any of the transfers grabbing sporting headlines in national newspapers or on TV? Not that I have noticed, and thus I dont see any raising of the profile of the league.
    If I didnt read boards.ie, the only Eircom league transfer news I'd know of would be Kenny going to manage Dunfermline and three lads, one being Molloy, joined one of the mediocre Scottish sides at the same time.
    With all due respect to boards.ie, it's hardly the oracle for Irish football news.
    At a glance, Bohsnews records 13 stories about transfers from eL to British clubs over the last five days, in news outlets that include the Irish Independent, Irish Times, Irish Sun, Irish Mirror, Irish Daily Mail, Irish Examiner, London Times and various Irish and UK sports sites. This is by no means a comprehensive listing and doesn't include stories that concern themselves exclusively with news of players transferring from clubs other than Bohemian FC, such as Shelbourne and Pats.
    It might not be on the scale of the endless coverage of the Chelski soap opera or the Beckham freak show, but it's a hell of a lot more than normal rations!

So, Reading have put in an insulting offer, which has been refused, for the best centre half in the league - Alan Bennett. They will probably come back with another insulting offer in a few days, before the transfer window closes. Is this of any benefit to anyone but Reading and Bennett?

I think we need to appreciate more the scale of what we are talking about. This is not like comparing, say, Irish rugby with the English game.
    As Fran Gavin said on RTE Drivetime about three minutes ago, we are living in the shadow of the biggest football league on the planet, a branded behemoth with legions of fans from China to Canada. Anyone who compares the league in a nation of 4m with that simply is living in cloud cuckooland.
    That a respected manager from that league is looking again at a player in this league obviously is of significance. If Steve Coppell and his counterparts thought the Irish national league and its players were rubbish, he wouldn't be wasting his time with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Anyone who compares the league in a nation of 4m with that simply is living in cloud cuckooland.
    QFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rob-bie Doyle, when a girl says no... eh... RESPECT HER!

Good riddance, really can't stand the guy, puts image miles above anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Rob-bie Doyle, when a girl says no... eh... RESPECT HER!

Good riddance, really can't stand the guy, puts image miles above anything else.

bit of a Van persie is he?

He's Mister A.,
    He's Mister A.,
    Robbie's Mister A!

Far better, I thought, than robbings West Ham fans chants! Purely because it was at the time of the sicko getting the 12 year old girl drunk and getting away with it.

In fairness, he took them all very well!

• Advertisement

From today's Indo … Ciaran Medlar, who heads up the sports unit of BDO Xavier Simpson, the international financial advisers now hoping to help rehabilitate the League, expresses concern that the current exodus of players may prove “high risk”.

… a lot of the guys leaving could be walking away from big wind-falls. Some of them are going to clubs in the UK where the salaries are more or less the same and the standard of football, arguably, poorer. There’s this sort of myth that that’s where the real football is. But the attraction of a Doncaster Rovers over, say, a Bohs or a Drogheda is really just illusory.”

… Stephen McGuinness of the PFAI says, “The League is a good product. But we’ve got to stop selling ourselves short. Last Monday, I picked up the papers and Jason Byrne was on nearly every front-page. Why? Because he scored for Cardiff. But Jason was a star with Shels. I don’t see mid-table in The Championship or mid-table in the SPL as being any better than our own League.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I managed to catch a bit of Kevin Doyle's appearance on Tubridy over the weekend and also there has been a fair bit of commentary in relation to youth systems in England, etc, and its got me pondering about the FAI league and the players.

With the reduction in youth squads, 'apprentices', etc, in England, and with FIFA and most likely Uefa (Platini's) plans of ensuring that clubs in a country use more national players, there are a number of future trends I see.

I think that youth players who want to 'make it' dont need to go to England at 14 and 15 and then when they are not signed up are deemed a failure at 17 or 18. Also the many 14 or 15 year olds that didnt seem like 'making it' at that tender age have their paths blocked, at least in perception.

The path shown by Kevin Doyle and the changes in the way the clubs are sourcing their players over there, means that a good path can now be to remain at home in the FAI league, and use that as a showcase for those that are trying to 'make it'. This is better for 14 and 15 and indeed 16 year olds, who can develop their game in Ireland before being sold off at the ages of 17 and 18 and 19. Like Kevin Doyle, like Steve Staunton and like Roy Keane.

This 'feeder league' system should have a positive effect on the FAI league, if developed over a short space of time, say 10 years, where the creme de la creme of the youth players stay in Ireland and bolster the quality of the FAI league. Also, the league can be a feeder league to any others 'above it', such as English divisions, Scottish leagues, and I'd like to see other leagues as well such as the big ones (Spain, Italy, Germany) but also the next bunch of France, Holland, Belgium, etc.

Whilst the big clubs in England will always be an attraction for some, their older system of taking on lots, failing most and just keeping a few that 'make the grade' is on the way out, and thats good news I believe for the FAI league. The facts are that many that dont make it, talented as they are, become despondent and drop out of the sport completely. This number is in fact huge, and although efforts have been made to catch them on their rebound, the damage is to a large extent already done. But with a solid flow of youth players into the FAI League, this should boost support as well and a win-win cycle can ensue as youth clubs feed into FAI clubs, etc.

Perhaps a radical idea is for the FAI to showcase Ireland's 17 year olds (which are at FAI clubs) to English and other clubs to generate interest that Ireland is a brreding ground for potential stars.

Redspider

^ With respect Redspider, that post is a collage of posts made by many many posts made here in years gone by. I dont like the term 'feeder league', but I guess thats what it could be deemed as. Its something I wouldnt have too much a problem with if the fees were decent.

Hopefully with the half decent fee Cork City have recieved for Alan bennett is the dawn of a new era of no more British plundering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

gimmick wrote:
    With respect Redspider, that post is a collage of posts made by many many posts made here in years gone by. I dont like the term 'feeder league', but I guess thats what it could be deemed as. Its something I wouldnt have too much a problem with if the fees were decent. Hopefully with the half decent fee Cork City have recieved for Alan bennett is the dawn of a new era of no more British plundering.

Well, I definitely didnt collage it together, so perhaps there is some merit in the points put forward.

I also dont like the term, 'feeder league'. Indeed, from an FAI perspective, that is not a label to market it. They could market it maybe as a tier 2 league, with the better players then having the ability to move elsewhere. Its a virtuous circle imo, if the good young players start staying, attendances and quality should go up (slightly and slowly), that brings more money in, more to attract te younger players, etc. Platini et al may be beneficial to the smaller leagues around Europe in time as well.

The fees will only get decent once the allure of the FAI league makes players wanting to play in it and having better contracts. FIFA and UEFA have established a drip-back system so that if someone ever does make it huge, that the money filters back to some clubs along the line and to the originating school, etc. They may do something for all clubs, I dont know.

Overall though, I think the best way to get decent signing fees is to improve the league itself, and improve the quality and the level of money involved in it. Not by squeezing more money out of the fans, but by marketing it and selling it as a product better. The FAI may do a better job or may not. Time will tell.

Redspider

The joke that is Steve Staunton strikes again

http://www.eecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

He says he will look at Alan Bennett now that he is at Reading. The ink isnt dry on his contract, and now he is deemed as a player with international potential? Sure he also says he looked at him a few times while with City, but Stan was never at Turners Cross. Idiot.

He goes on to say that he will be looking at al the players who went from the eL to Scotland and England in the last few weeks. What kind of fúcking message does that send out to young players with ambition? What message does it send out to the better players in the eL like Gamble, O Donovan etc etc etc?

The domestic product can never go forward when the Senior International Manager makes statements like that.

gimmick wrote:
    The domestic product can never go forward when the Senior International Manager makes statements like that.

He is an idiot, but there are 2 ex EL players in this squad may have been 3 if Doyle was fit. If Bennett gets in tht be 4 next time and possibly one from scotland as Dillon isnt half and maybe even Hawkins

So from no EL or ex EL players for nigh on 10 years theres now a possible 4. From an PL fan point its progress, from an EL fan its like "no **** their good enough" and from mine it just proves Pats are the best team ever for EL internationals gwan Quinner :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

Cork City have turned down a deal worth €525k for Roy O Donovan from Hull City. The deal was made of as follows

€375k down payment
    €75k after 10 games
    €75k after 30 games

In addition to this there would have been a 25% sell on clause.

Great work by Brian lennox, hopefully the end of Irish clubs being pillaged by our British neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaCL wrote:
    Pats are the best team ever for EL internationals gwan Quinner :D
    Did you forget The Black Pearl of Inchicore?

seansouth wrote:
    Did you forget The Black Pearl of Inchicore?

Hes not in this squad , Staunton called him but he was ehh busy.

Ward started for Wolves and scored.
    Daryl Murphy started for Sunderland.
    Colin Hawkins started for Coventry.
    George O'Callaghan off the bench for Ipswich.
    Byrne came on for Cardiff.
    S Quinn started for Sheff Utd.
    Long started for reading.
    Keegan came on for Motherwell.
    Muprhy started for well.
    Dillon started for one of the Dundees.

Doyle, Molloy injured, dunno whats up with Bennet mustnt be match fit, 2 lads at Brum havent got near the squad yet.

Odd thing is i have seen all the above play in EL (*except long).

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

see gearge o callaghan was sent off today for violent conduct what a muppet.:rolleyes:

1. Ward Wolves scored again
    2. Daryl Murphy Sunderland.
    3. Colin Hawkins Coventry.*
    4. George O'Callaghan sent off
    5. Byrne came on for Cardiff.
    6. S Quinn Sheff Utd. no game *
    7. Long Reading not in squad
    8. Doyle Reading not in squad *
    9. Bennet Reading not in squad
    10. Keegan Motherwell bench. *
    11. Molloy Motherwell bench. *
    12. Dillon started for one of the Dundees.
    13. Adamson bench for sheff Wed *
    14. Douglas Leeds started
    15. Murphy Motherwell eregular and got assist today
    16. Weso Blackpool regular and played today
    17. Foran Southend bench
    18. Ryan Dunfermline bench

Any others i may have missed?

* means they are the best of the above due to their previous club :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

redzerdrog wrote:
    see gearge o callaghan was sent off today for violent conduct what a muppet.:rolleyes:

ah it was harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Steve Jones ex Sligo Rovers now Burnley AFAIK

Ward scores again for Wolves. thats 2 more than he scored for Bohs in the entire season, does that mean the EL is harder :p

kdjac

Hoolahan scores peno for blackpool.

keegan and Molloy came on for Motherwell.

kdjac

Houlahahn scores.
    Cork boys look away

o Callagahan scores

others to follow

kdjac

Advertisement