Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP Problem

Options
  • 13-01-2007 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I've been having this problem for a while. I have a website hosted by Hosting365 and I use an ftp connection to transfer a file from a host pc to the server.

The process looks like this

1. User clicks on a Run button which runs a batch file. This batch file creates a text file on the local desktop and logs onto the FTP manager on my hosted server and puts a copy of the text file onto my server to be read onto an asp page.

All of the pieces of Step 1 above work perfectly.

2. The problem I have is that when another user logs on and creates their text file in the same way it creates a text file with the same name. So i want to delete the old text file from the server using FTP again.

This is where i encounter my problem. If i run the original batch file to transfer the text file it transfers but i then cannot delete the file. It says that it is in use by another process. However if i follow the exact same steps as in the batch file manually typing them in the FTP transfer works but it allows me to delete the text file.

For whatever reason the batch file doesn't close the connection to the FTP manager and will not allow me to delete the text file or rename it or move it.

But if i run the same commands as are in the batch file manually then i can delete it. If you look at the attached image file you can see the error i get if i try to delete the file manually using my online FTP manager on Hosting365

I can't understand this at all, if anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Perhaps the server hasn't yet moved it to it's ftp directory by the time the following command is run, similar to the procedure you see downloading a file using a IE (download to temp directory, virus scan, move to final location).

Can you insert an intermediate timewasting ftp command or 10, like "help" to chew up a fraction of a second, to see if it makes a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

Just tried that there Ressem. didn't work, i tried with hundreds of time wasting commands. It appears that it is a problem that Microsoft have acknowledged and have supplied a Hotfix for Windows Server 2003. So i'll have to contact my hosting company and get them to install the hotfix.

Advertisement