Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica bassists

• 13-01-2007 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

well
    i was just wondering who ppl think is metallicas best bassist of all time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Is this a serious question? Cliff Burton, of course. I'd be suprised if anyone says any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Les Claypool could have been cliff's replacement . .. oh the possibilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I liked the way newstead looked so psychotic in the live sh** dvds :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I always liked Newstead but there is no competition - Burton all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ya Jason was never as much of an asshole as James or Lars so he was alright in my book. But of course Cliff was the most skilled bassist they had. I can't believe someone asked this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

cliff all the way but all there bassists are good, if rob replaced cliff instead of replacing newstead he woulda been way more highly regarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Rob McGovney.................But seriously, it has to be Cliff considering the influence he semmed to have on the band in terms of songwriting and from videos i've seen he seems like he had a great stage presence.
    I like Newstead and Trujillo, they both seem like genuine guys, especially jason who seems very dedicated to his music considering he left one of the biggest bands in the world to play what he wanted to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

they might be good today if Burton was still alive, if only kirk was in his own bunk things would be so much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

1. Burton
    2. Newsted
    3. Trujillo
    Ron McGovney doesn't count :) Cliff Burton was a genius. Jason Newsted did his best as a replacement but in the eyes of Hetfield and Ulrich, didn't measure up. I think they have freely admitted to treating him badly haven't they? I liked what Rob Trujillo did with Suicidal Tendencies but in all honesty I really only listen to Metallica's music up to the black album so I can't comment on what he has added in the studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 LeoSeine

Burton without a doubt, whats up with that new guy? Prancin around the stage like a bloody monkey?:mad: Anyway..Cliff Burton Number 1!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Trujillo hasn't recorded on any Metallica studio album yet. It'll be interesting to see what he comes out with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

malice_ wrote:
      I really only listen to Metallica's music up to the black album so I can't comment on what he has added in the studio.

Well we haven't had the chance to hear if he has added things yet!!Looking forward to hearing though.

Edit: Feylya beat me to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Metallica have had three fantastic bassists with very differing playing styles and personalities. Comparing them makes no sense to me, each is very talented and has my complete respect. It must be pointed out that to gauge the skill of Newsted or Trujillo on their time in Metallica is an exercise in folly. Cliff was allowed express himself in Metallica and the band flourished in this time. That certainly wasn't the case for Newsted and Trujillo has joined a ship adrift in an ocean of mediocrity, which makes comparisons unfair and inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Doctor J wrote:
    Metallica have had three fantastic bassists with very differing playing styles and personalities. Comparing them makes no sense to me, each is very talented and has my complete respect. It must be pointed out that to gauge the skill of Newsted or Trujillo on their time in Metallica is an exercise in folly. Cliff was allowed express himself in Metallica and the band flourished in this time. That certainly wasn't the case for Newsted and Trujillo has joined a ship adrift in an ocean of mediocrity, which makes comparisons unfair and inaccurate.
    seconded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

bob rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cliff Burton hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

feylya wrote:
    Trujillo hasn't recorded on any Metallica studio album yet. It'll be interesting to see what he comes out with.
    My bad, I thought he had contributed to St. Anger. At least now I know where the Bob Rock reply came from :)

Also if anyone's interested, versions of the Justice For All songs with the bass more audible are available from here. Unfortunately I don't think anyone's managed to remix the song so the horrible squelchy drums are removed. That's a topic for another thread though and I shouldn't drag this one further off topic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This is a pointless thread. Burton was gifted. Newsted was a good bassist but we never got to see any of his creative talent.

I often wonder what metallica music would sound like if burton was still alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

faceman wrote:
    This is a pointless thread. Burton was gifted. Newsted was a good bassist but we never got to see any of his creative talent.

I often wonder what metallica music would sound like if burton was still alive.
    I often wonder about that too, what might have been... pretty sure they wouldn't have been as big as they are now tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I often wonder about that too, what might have been... pretty sure they wouldn't have been as big as they are now tho.

I dont think justice for all would have happened in the state it did. (engineering values aside) its quite an agry album. Would st. anger have happened to? how much of hetfield's derailment had an influence from not dealing with the loss of cliff?

Id say they'd still be big, but their musical direction would be a whole lot different imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Since leaving Metallica Newsted has put out two Echobrain albums, two Voivod albums, toured them and toured with Ozzy. Metallica, on the other hand, have released Stanger.

Good call Jason ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Cliff Burton

Metallica's best albums were probably their first 3 and Burton was heavily involved then.
    Hats off to Newsted, did a good job and was a sound guy always while the others crawled up their asses. He will probably be involved with good music long after the other 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Cliff was an excellent bassist

Saw Newstead play with Metallica at the Point in 1999. He could have been the fronmtman. He went nuts

Trujillo, Couldnt be without the man now, and in true bassist form, he is a brick****hoouse

But I choose Newstead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Well of course Cliff Burton, he was just unreal. Jason Newsted was still a good solid bass player, he did the job well.
    It's still early days for Rob, but seeing him onstage just blows me away. He's so full of energy. It will be interesting to see his input on the new album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

buck65 wrote:
    Cliff Burton

Metallica's best albums were probably their first 3 and Burton was heavily involved then.
    Hats off to Newsted, did a good job and was a sound guy always while the others crawled up their asses. He will probably be involved with good music long after the other 3.

Aye, I agree with you. I used to have a lot of respect for James Hetfield but I dunno....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

It has to be the major rager, on the 4 string motherf**er!

Newstead and Tujillio (or whatever) are fine basists, but Cliff is largely responsible for the massive improvement in musicianship on RTL and MOP. Cliff was much much more than a bassist in Metallica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 iemillst

Het-Field wrote:
    Cliff was an excellent bassist

Saw Newstead play with Metallica at the Point in 1999. He could have been the fronmtman. He went nuts

QFT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

Cliff is my favourite, He was just cool end of story, then jason, although i alays felt jason was bein restricted by the others, he could have done so much more than he was allowed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

malice_ wrote:
    [*]Newsted

Hands down my vote. He joined Metallica as a true fan (he was 13 when Kill Em All came out learning the riffs and by age 19 he was in Metallica!). He tried his best I think to keep Metallica as the band he knew from his childhood but they rejected his stuff, frowned upon his solo projects, and charged their hotel bills to his credit card. he was under apprichated and for that Metallica, I say, for shame!

Newstead is the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

My favourite Metallica albums feature Newsted, so, him. Call it an uneducated preference, since I haven't heard much Voivod, Echobrain, nor any of Trujillo's other projects...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmojo

Burton was without a doubt tha best player, but he looked like he should have been in Led Zeppelin. Newsted was perfect for what Metallica wanted to do/look like when he joined so he never seemed out of place. I preferred Newsted but Burton was still better. I shant mention the other ape!

Advertisement