Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeze cooked rice - safe?

• 13-01-2007 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently bought a chest freezer and have been having great fun cooking to my hearts content knowing nothing is going to go to waste.
    I've decided to make my work weeks food at the weekend and just freeze it and pop into tuppaware pots for usage each day - there are microwaves in work so this should be fine.

I've just made a chicken curry and would like to do a weeks worth of rice and then put the full curry meal into each pot and freeze the lot.
    Am a bit worried though if this is safe to do with rice?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

It is safe to do, I do it all the time.
    I stack mine on the window sill in the kitchen overnight portioned out with curry in take away trays. As long as your kitchen is cool at night it's ok. Freeze them first thing the next morning before heading out to work or whatever.
    Then freeze it off, make sure you reheat it properly when it comes to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, was hoping that would be the answer :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DeBarra, Kate

You need to be really careful with rice. Apparently it carries a pretty bad bacteria and if not treated correctly you could get a pretty bad case of food poisning. That said I froze and reheated rice numerous times and am still here to tell the tale. What you should do is make sure the rice is cold pretty quickly i.e. don't leave it sitting in a warm room for too long and when you defrost it/reheat it make sure it is piping hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Just to put the OP's mind at rest.
    I am living in Tokyo 20 years, married to a Japanese wife + Kid, eat rice every day of the year. We both work, so we freeze it for evening dinner. The local method is.
    1. Leave rice to cool down
    2. Divide rice into person size portions
    3. Wrap each portion in cling film.
    4. Throw into the freezer.

To eat
    Take from the freezer and put the wrapped portions into the microwave and cook for 2 mins.
    Done.

Never yet experienced any bad effects:), but would also agree with DeBarra, Kate that it must be served piping hot.

Advertisement