Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like a 15ft high advertising hoarding on your footpath?

Options
  • 13-01-2007 6:10pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Check out a long series of planning applications for advertising montrosities all over the city. Slipped in just before Christmas, no doubt hoping people wouldn't notice.

Search here: Dublin City Council site
    Planning application numbers 6765/06 to 6832/06. Almost 70 hideous structures. No area is safe, though poorer inner-city communities (where perhaps people would not have the 20 euro necessary to object or a credit card to do an online objection) seem to be being chosen for many of these things.

Full Development Description

The overall area of the site is 1.74sqm. The development will consist of a Metropole double sided, internally illuminated advertisement structure comprising a display case mounted on an offset leg. The structure shall display either civic information or an advertisement. The display panels shall be scrolling or static. The structure has an overall height of 4.85 metres and a width of 3.48 metres. The area of each of the display panels is 6.82sqm.

It beggars belief that anyone thinks such things would enhance our city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It will enhance the lining of the government's pockets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are eight of them within about 500m of where I live.
    Frightening that this sort of thing can happen - and I have no doubt it will happen, despite my voice in the wilderness objections. I have formally objected to two of them, but can't afford any more.

Which I suppose was how they planned it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

spurious wrote:
    There are eight of them within about 500m of where I live.
    Frightening that this sort of thing can happen - and I have no doubt it will happen, despite my voice in the wilderness objections. I have formally objected to two of them, but can't afford any more.

Which I suppose was how they planned it to be.
    Have you tried to gather a list of the residents and formally object as a community? I know I certainly wouldn't like any of these eye sores around my area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have posted about it in as many internet forums as I can. I have personally objected to two but I just discovered another one across the road from where I live.

Sickeningly and cynically they are in areas such as Ballybough/Summerhill/North Strand/Sheriff Street/Darndale.

Not ONE on the Howth Road but about 6 on the Malahide Road - not near Malahide of course (God forbid) but near areas of public housing. They knew well which areas had residents who would be likely to object, and avoided them.

Fine wide footpaths on Stephen's green - miraculously escaped.

Here is the list of locations - remember these are 15ft high and 11 feet across belching out adverts on both sides, illuminated 24 hours a day.

Civic information is ok, despite the horrible things it will be displayed on, but using it for advertisement purposes is an absolute joke. I'm sure not a cent of the advertising revenue generated by these things will go towards the communities that put up with their being there.

Any chance that they could be...*ahem* easily taken down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Would you like a 15ft high advertising hoarding on your footpath?
    Oh God yeah Ted, that'd be brilliant. :rolleyes:
    I see no reason why anyone should be given the right to do this.
    But then, since when have people ever come before money.
    I'm sure they'd get permission to tattoo illuminated ads on the inside of my eyelids if they thought I wouldn't notice and wouldn't kick up much of a fuss once it was already done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Anyone got a picture of one of these things? I'm not quite sure if I've ever seen one!

Update on this:
    There were major objections to this scheme at last night's council meeting, especially at the cynical way in which these things are intended to be located.

There seems to be another 50 applications for similar now, but councillors have been alerted to the way in which these applications have been slipped in.

See: http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=5715

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

There is a lot of confusion about this, as evidenced here -
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055055098 and also in the media reports.

There will be no "free" bikes - there are to be rentable bikes as the icing on a cake that will also see 120+ adverts dumped on public footpaths. One estimate as to what that space is worth to JCDecaux is 13 million annually over 15 years - which roughly works out at enough to buy over 2 million bikes from Lidl.

Take my word on this - its a scandal... Lord Mayor was not even aware of the 120 applications until less than a fortnight ago. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

Did I hear of a scheme recently that would charge cars coming into the City Centre? If so a cheap, beater of a bike that you secure but don't worry too much about may be a good idea. You just chalk up the inevitable vandalism and/or theft to the cost of transportation and go get another ugly bike. It would probably be cheaper in the long run. I'm not sure I'd like to add hunting down a "city bike" everyday. 500 isn't a lot of bikes in a large city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Sarsfield wrote:
    Anyone got a picture of one of these things? I'm not quite sure if I've ever seen one!

70 of these to go up if scheme goes ahead - this one would be at North Strand :mad:

FairviewAd.jpg

Another 50 also, same size (but without the use) as bus shelters.

How pretty that will look, lit up on both sides at night.

Something for drivers to watch instead of the road, or indeed the people coming out into the road to check for buses since their view will be blocked.

At least the ambulances are across the road in the Fire Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

http://www.dublincity.ie/Images/Appendices%201-5%20reduced_tcm35-48977.pdf

This is the slick proposal. Note the footpath ones are not shown in reverse..they are double sided - possibly scrolling - the planning applications for 70 of these have gone in 02.02.07 - search on dublincity.ie for that date.

I'm collecting signatures in Smithfield at the moment...they are 4 (yes four ) going into Smithfield - talk about blighting a Z5 zone!

I like the design for the thin information footpath ones - but totally inappropriate to have big fat ones with ads on both sides of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Lets hope the reliable knackers will do what they do best and vandalise them.

Looks like they are all going ahead, including the Langrishe Place ones that Bertie so publicly objected to.

Just what we need.

Decision on one of them here

Got to love the democratic process.

boreds wrote:
    Lets hope the reliable knackers will do what they do best and vandalise them.
    Yes, because having shítty grafiti on these things will really make things better. Good point, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

It would be interesting to see the reply to a planning application for one of these if made by a private individual - especially if it was to be placed outsite the local council offices ;) To think that the same money grabbing ****s insist on planning permission for sattelite dishes and roof mounted solar heating :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Slightly on/off topic, has anyone else seen the two at the crossroads beside KFC in Blanchardstown? Both are 20 odd foot high posters of underwear models for one of the stores in the centre. You just get the feeling some young lad crossing the road and some old man driving his car will get mutually distracted by it and lead to disaster :eek:

Advertisement