Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three are now charging 130 EUR for unlocking!!!!!

• 13-01-2007 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Just called Three today to unlock my 3Pay phone and they said from today onwards, they are increasing the price of unlocking from 27EUR to 130EUR!!! What the hell is going on with this company, are they nuts?! My advice is to seriously contest the charge of unlocking the phone, this is ridiculous and criminal in my opinion.

Last week when I called them, they said that 27 EUR was the cost for unlocking my phone which is really the admin fee. I thought it was quite expensive at the time but now they are charging 130 EUR. Surely this cannot be the price of a admin fee - this is just daylight robbery! I think Comreg will get a lot of complaints about this. This totally pisses me off!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I just called them and was quoted €27
    Im bill pay so I thought id ask the scottish because they usually more up to date than the 3pay customer service
    I asked her how much it was to get a phone unlocked on 3pay (even though i was calling the bill pay cc) and was told €27
    I hope your wrong because €130 is redicilous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

ADSLUSER wrote:
    Just called Three today to unlock my 3Pay phone and they said from today onwards, they are increasing the price of unlocking from 27EUR to 130EUR!!! What the hell is going on with this company, are they nuts?! My advice is to seriously contest the charge of unlocking the phone, this is ridiculous and criminal in my opinion.

Last week when I called them, they said that 27 EUR was the cost for unlocking my phone which is really the admin fee. I thought it was quite expensive at the time but now they are charging 130 EUR. Surely this cannot be the price of a admin fee - this is just daylight robbery! I think Comreg will get a lot of complaints about this. This totally pisses me off!

It's true, I just rang them. You have to have spent 130 euro with them now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That's perfectly normal. You have to spend 130 (or thereabouts) with Vodafone, O2 and Meteor before they will unlock for you also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

can't you just go to a non-phone network shop? buttlers chocolates in galway unlock phones for €20 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ecco

ADSLUSER wrote:

Gsm Solutions should'nt charge you anymore than 30 euro to have the phone unlocked.

www.gsmsolutionsltd.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

ADSLUSER wrote:

Did they say it was a charge or that you had to have spent e130? Because they are very different things.

Ecco wrote:
    Gsm Solutions should'nt charge you anymore than 30 euro to have the phone unlocked.

www.gsmsolutionsltd.com

75 euro for the K800i :rolleyes:

And you have to physically go to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

A charge of 130eur and a requirement to have spent 130eur are different. Can you confirm which they said? If it's the latter it's pretty much standard and you can't argue .. it's why you got the phone cheap to begin with!

ciaranfo wrote:
    A charge of 130eur and a requirement to have spent 130eur are different. Can you confirm which they said? If it's the latter it's pretty much standard and you can't argue .. it's why you got the phone cheap to begin with!

€350 is not cheap. Nor discounted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What's your phone? Compare what you paid to the SIM free price on www.expansys.ie and add in the free credit .. I'm sure it balances out.

* I don't dispute 3 are a load of arseholes when it comes to unlocking though, and wouldn't be surprised if they made you port away from 3pay to another network in order for them to provide the code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

ciaranfo wrote:

When I called, they didn't mention anything about spending 130 EUR or it will be applied as credit. All they said was that they will be charging me a fee of 130 EUR. I complained a bit more that I was told it was only 27 admin fee last week and it was ridiculous that the price has gone up to 130 EUR. In the end, they said that since I was originally offered 27 EUR, they will honour that. I gave them my IMEI number details and they will contact me within 24hrs and let me know if my phone can be unlocked. I know it can be unlocked but for whatever reason, they didn't have the code generator at hand or otherwise. The reason why I didn't get my phone unlocked last week was that they said the software version on my phone for the Nokia 6280 was too old and that I needed to update it first. SO I got the software upgraded on Saturday and when I call Three, I got my big shock that they increased their unlocking price!

Let us know if they unlock it for you. I'm still waiting for the call...

Still haven't received the call back from them yet. So much for promising to get back to me within 24hrs. I called support again today to get an update and they said that unlock codes can take a while (if they're available!) and that I would have to wait for the original support person to get back to me. I told them I was promised that they would contact me within 24hrs which didn't happen but they said there is nothing I can do until they ring me back. What a load of BS! The whole unlock policy with 3 is just ridiculous - how many hoops does one have to jump until they get unlock code which other networks basicially provide straight over the phone?! I hope somebody gets their hands on the 3 unlock algorithm and posts it on the web like the previous Nokia DCTx calculators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

maxitwist wrote:
    can't you just go to a non-phone network shop? buttlers chocolates in galway unlock phones for €20 I think

Heh I think you mean the German guys above Butlers chocolate, not the actual chocolate store itself :D

But - if its you have to have spend 130 with them, that's perfectly normal and standard with the other networks. Maybe they were just arse-ways about trying to reinforce that very point - you have to spend 130 with them.

They couldn't possible charge an admin fee of 130 euro to go alongside the requirement of having spent 130.

maxitwist wrote:

The Nokia 6280 uses the BB5 software so unlocking is only possible from the network provider and no one else :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

the phone retails at 400 sim free online and 459 sim free in store.

it's clearly discounted. buy sim free in future and you won't have to spend credit so the network can earn back their discount

Tree wrote:
    the phone retails at 400 sim free online and 459 sim free in store.

it's clearly discounted. buy sim free in future and you won't have to spend credit so the network can earn back their discount

Actually, it's only 299 sim-free online. I actually paid that much when I first signed on 3pay and now they want to charge an extra €130. But yes, next time I'm gonna buy sim-free but 3 won't sell sim cards on their own, you have to buy a phone as well which is kinda unfair. I'm not sure if they changed this policy now but afaik they haven't yet.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/s_action/search/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

that link takes me nowhere

did find this though?

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/267564/art/sony-ericsson/k800i.html?itag=3908

Apologies, the link was from a search, this is the correct one:

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/261335/art/nokia/6280-black.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

ADSLUSER wrote:
    But yes, next time I'm gonna buy sim-free but 3 won't sell sim cards on their own, you have to buy a phone as well which is kinda unfair.

Unfair maybe, but that's how they want to operate. Like it or lump it.

• Advertisement

I finally got my unlock code. Wouldn't it just have been easier to not lie and give it to me the first time I asked, 3? :rolleyes:

Back to Meteor now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Ecco wrote:

www.gsmsolutionsltd.com

I wouldnt trust that guy with a phone at all.ive had bad interactions with him and other people have had similar problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

I'm on 3 and have the 6280, when I rang to see if I could get it unlocked as I'm not liking them too much myself right now, especially the walled garden business, I mean, come on!! But anyway, the unhelpful man I spoke to said 'the codes haven't been released for the 6280, it can't be unlocked.'

that was it ya know.

anyone tell me if this is true or not? cos it smells like BS to me, I know the codes haven't been released online, but there must be someway of removing a simlock from a phone, sure they put it on there in the first place don't they!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

They put it on, they can take it off. Any claims to the contrary are lies.

Advertisement