Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite debut albums

Options
  • 13-01-2007 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

here goes
    radiohead - pablo honey
    arcade fire - funeral
    smashing pumpkins - gish
    killers - hot fuss
    clap your hands say yeah - s/t
    beck - mellow gold
    eh? eh?
    pacmanip0.gif?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Pearl Jam - Ten
    Alice in Chains - Facelift
    Blind Melon - Blind Melon
    Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

suede :Suede
    Godspeed you black emperor: F#A# (Infinity)
    stone roses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Enter the wu-tang: 36 Chambers
    Delakota - One love
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    Michael Head - introducing the strands
    NERD - ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

The Mars Volta - DITC
    ¡Forward, Russia! - Give Me A Wall
    Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    Queens Of The Stone Age - Queens Of The Stone Age
    UNKLE - Psyence Fiction
    Weezer - Pinkerton

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Weezer - Pinkerton

although it's weezer's best album it wasn't a debut.

here is my list

sucioperro - random acts of intimacy.
    biffy clyro - blackened sky
    ozma - rock and roll part three
    the postal service - give up

*Edit*
    ¡Forward, Russia! - Give Me A Wall

totally forgot about this one, great debut and a great live band

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

piper at the gates is one of floyd's worst albums, imo. never did like barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Theres some great stuff on piper, just a pity see Emily play and Arnold Lane were left off it. Bike is timeless:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Stone Roses - Stone Roses
    Hope Of The States - The Lost Riots
    Luxembourg - Front
    The Clash - The Clash
    Arcade Fire- Funeral
    Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Murmur - REM
    Turn On The Bright Lights - Interpol
    Debut - Bjork
    Lost Souls - Doves
    Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim - Pixies(Depends on whether you count Pilgrim as full album)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Steeplechase

here goes
    radiohead - pablo honey
    arcade fire - funeral
    smashing pumpkins - gish
    killers - hot fuss
    clap your hands say yeah - s/t
    beck - mellow gold
    eh? eh?
    pacmanip0.gif?

This list makes me throw up into my mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Steeplechase

Television - Marquee Moon

Pavement - Slanted And Enchanted

i'm pretty sure everyone else is happy with that list.

also, add to it surfer rosa.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pearl Jam - Ten
    The Strokes - Is This It?
    QOTSA - QOTSA
    Muse - Showbiz
    Pixies - Surfer Rosa (dont consider Come on Pilgrim a full album. but its inc. in this anyway)
    Nine Black Alps - Everything Is
    Velvet Revolver - Contraband
    Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

EDIT: Surprised nobody has said Arctic monkeys yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Arctic Monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Suede: Suede
    Damien Rice:O
    Belly: Star
    Muse:Showbiz
    Air:Moon Safari
    Sean Farrell:Sean Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Generation Terrorists
    Definitely Maybe
    Movement (New Order)
    The Stone Roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
    Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
    Pixies - Surfer Rosa
    Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
    The Arcade Fire - Funeral
    DJ Shadow - ...Endtroducing

There are probably dozens more, but I think like everybody I've just started naming debut albums I like. I'll choose Slanted & Enchanted as my number 1, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Arctic Monkeys -whatever people say i am..
    Kasabian- Kasabian

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
    Damien Rice - O
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
    The Fratellis - Costello Music

Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
    The Strokes - Is This It
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    also Director - We Thrive On Big Cities

.......mouthwatering:p

Ditto.

And PaTGoD is Pink Floyd's best album IMO.

Mushy wrote:
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    The Strokes - Is This It?
    QOTSA - QOTSA
    Muse - Showbiz
    Pixies - Surfer Rosa (dont consider Come on Pilgrim a full album. but its inc. in this anyway)
    Nine Black Alps - Everything Is
    Velvet Revolver - Contraband
    Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

EDIT: Surprised nobody has said Arctic monkeys yet.

lol, in fairness if you're going to say VR you might as well say Appetite by GNR, but neither are really Alt/Indie now are they?

• Advertisement

don't mind the alt/indie tag...the only reason i put this in here stead of the music>music forum is because people in here are the most conscious of their own top lists. ie they know their own top 10s of favourite songs, artists, debuts. so don't limit your lists to alt.indie albums.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    Ditto.
    And PaTGoD is Pink Floyd's best album IMO.
    look, every album on that list has been praised by critics, so your opinions aren't justified. now i don't base my music tastes strictly on critical opinion, but the large majority of the albums i own ARE highly rated.
    as for piper, that is extremely debatable...

additions to m'list
    kings of leon - youth n young manhood
    modest mouse - this is a long drive...

JC 2K3 wrote:
    lol, in fairness if you're going to say VR you might as well say Appetite by GNR, but neither are really Alt/Indie now are they?

FAir 'nuf. Add GNR's Appetite in there, thats a great album.

And I cant believe I for got it earlier.......................................

Metallica - Kill'Em All

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Television - Marquee Moon

YES! I think this is my favourite debut too, and possibly my favourite rock album ever.

look, every album on that list has been praised by critics, so your opinions aren't justified. now i don't base my music tastes strictly on critical opinion, but the large majority of the albums i own ARE highly rated.
    My opinions aren't justified because some critics think that these are good albums? What critics btw? You do know many magazines/critics are paid by record labels to rate their albums highly? Also critics opinions vary hugely. Let's take Hot Fuss by the Killers for example. Pitchfork gives it 5.2/10, allmusic gives it 3/5 and Rolling Stone gives it 3.5/5. Looking at that info it would suggest that your opinion that that was one of the best debut albums ever wasn't justified based on critical opinion.
    as for piper, that is extremely debatable...
    In terms of being their best album, indeed it is debatable.
    As for whether Piper is an extremely significant psychedelic album and one of Pink Floyd's best contributions to music, I don't think that's very debatable at all. It's nowhere near Floyd's worst.
    don't mind the alt/indie tag...the only reason i put this in here stead of the music>music forum is because people in here are the most conscious of their own top lists. ie they know their own top 10s of favourite songs, artists, debuts. so don't limit your lists to alt.indie albums.
    Fair enough, *adds Appetite for Destruction to list.

Also, I've just remembered Damaged by Black Flag, how could I forget that??

and The Velvet Underground and Nico, can't forget that.

Also, I've just remembered Damaged by Black Flag, how could I forget that??

What are Black Flag like? Iv heard the name a lot, and they seem like a band that I might like.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    My opinions aren't justified because some critics think that these are good albums? What critics btw? You do know many magazines/critics are paid by record labels to rate their albums highly? Also critics opinions vary hugely. Let's take Hot Fuss by the Killers for example. Pitchfork gives it 5.2/10, allmusic gives it 3/5 and Rolling Stone gives it 3.5/5. Looking at that info it would suggest that your opinion that that was one of the best debut albums ever wasn't justified based on critical opinion.
    hot fuss is the scapegoat in that list... and earning more than 50% of the marks from those three sources is a decent result, imo. and i like it, but am gracefully removing it from the list. i suppose it is amongst the bottom debuts on my itunes. i still stand by the reast of my list though.

i don't like psychedelia, and hence don't like barrett or piper. i prefer their prog rock later stuff, the albums sans syd - the wall dark side, animals wish you were here are my faves.

Mushy wrote:
    What are Black Flag like? Iv heard the name a lot, and they seem like a band that I might like.
    It's American punk rock, very influential, especially on the creation of hardcore punk. I haven't heard anything besides Damaged, but it is a classic album. Their songs are amusing and light hearted, but sometimes with more serious themes behind them. They make use of dissonance and atonality, especially in their noisy solos. You should definately check them out.
    hot fuss is the scapegoat in that list... and earning more than 50% of the marks from those three sources is a decent result, imo. and i like it, but am gracefully removing it from the list. i suppose it is amongst the bottom debuts on my itunes. i still stand by the reast of my list though.
    Why remove it because critics don't like it? Why do critical opinions matter to you so much?
    i don't like psychedelia, and hence don't like barrett or piper. i prefer their prog rock later stuff, the albums sans syd - the wall dark side, animals wish you were here are my faves.
    I'm afraid critics like psychedelia and Piper has achieved numerous 10/10 and 5/5 reviews from many critics, therefore your opinion isn't justified. :rolleyes:

(btw, the later Pink Floyd albums were very much psychedelic, Barret's work was more the nonsensical aspect of psychedelia whereas the later stuff was seemingly more "thoughtful" or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

defo maybe by oasis nuff said.

debate over

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Mushy wrote:

Like a hard punch to the face made music. They're really excellent, the aforementioned Damaged is essential and my personal favourite is My War. Pretty much every album is a lesson in how to rock with no frills and no bull****. The only problem is their CDs seem to be pretty expensive. If you're cool you'll buy them on vinyl though :)

And can we please have less of the "Is Alt/Indie" genre talk please? We've always been open on this forum and anything that is obviously better served in Rock/Metal or whatever will be moved there by me where appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Oasis, Killers, Arcade Fire etc already mentioned but here's a few more I like:

Stereophonics - Word Gets Around
    Idlewild - Hope Is Important
    JJ72 - JJ72
    Ash - 1977

Advertisement