Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Credit Card Statement Mailing Fees

Options
  • 13-01-2007 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭

Has anyone looked at their latest Credit Card statement from Bank of Ireland. Included with the statement is a flyer stating that effective from the 1rst March , BOI will be charging a fee for a physical copy of each months transactions.
    The charges are frankly ridiculous:
    "€3.80 for 1rst page of each individual statement,
    "€2.50 for each subsequent statement"

If you are a light user it will cost €45.60 to receive your statement in the post every year and a heavy user will be charged €75.60.

No mention on this flyer to stop receiving statement each month or whether it will be default practice to check on 365online or Banking365.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hmm didn't see this at all, caqn't se a notice on their website anywhere

They'll be war if they give no option of stopping a paper statement from being sent, I'm happy using on-line banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

I use 365online extensively myself but still receive my credit card statement in the post every month.
    Ill give them a bell on Monday and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Absolut

Are you sure they weren't referring to the cost of getting copies of previous statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As long as I can cancel the paper statement I dont care. I stopped getting paper bills off vodafoen a year ago. I dotn like recieving bills in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If I had a BOI card, I'd vote with my wallet and change CC company. BOI make superprofits and since Chip and pin has been implemented, the incidence of fraud has greatly reduced. I know I prefer online statements but still they do make enough money off people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

i was about to post the same thing last night, but i read it again, and i think it's just for copies of the statement.... if you have 365 online you can go into statement for the last 12 months, and u could print it off from there...i will ring em on monday and double check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I am with AIB and when you log into internet banking, there is an offer to stop sending you a paper bill for you credit card. ....

Is this a coincidence. I dont think so, I smell (an organised) rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I bank with AIB, but have a cc with BOI.

I can't view credit card statements online because I no longer have a BOI account (bad treatment so I left them).

So if this rumour is true, I would have to pay the charge. I suspect it's only for past statements though.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

scuby wrote:
    i was about to post the same thing last night, but i read it again, and i think it's just for copies of the statement.... if you have 365 online you can go into statement for the last 12 months, and u could print it off from there...i will ring em on monday and double check
    I'm pretty sure they can't do this for CC statements, after all, these are transactions against your card, which you have to pay for.

I think (like bank statements) you are entitled to a statement every month, extra statements or copies might incur a charge.

Having said that, I see that NTL are planning to charge customers who do not sign up to DD an extra amount to cover the bill being sent out.

Don't think CC companies could ever do this, as some charges might be fraudulant or incorrect & you need time to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FutureProof

I just rang them now about this. They said that the charges only apply for repeat statements, in case you lost one or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gerryo wrote:
    Having said that, I see that NTL are planning to charge customers who do not sign up to DD an extra amount to cover the bill being sent out.
    I think NTLs charge is to encourage DD usage to prevent late payments. Even if you pay by DD they still have to bill you in advance of the payment so the charge can't be for printing and posting the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

jor el wrote:
    I think NTLs charge is to encourage DD usage to prevent late payments. Even if you pay by DD they still have to bill you in advance of the payment so the charge can't be for printing and posting the bill.
    Problem is - NTL (or whoever sends the statements) are so slow sending them out, there is often only a few days to query the charges. It's not unknown for institutions to print invoices, then hold them for a few days until there is a maildrop.

Either way, it's a nasty new practice, not dissimilar to the way airlines are breaking the cost of flights into small pieces, then charging you for flight + luggage + food + seats together. It might be fairer, but it ain't nice.

Then again, nice business don't stay in business long these days.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I just rang them now about this. They said that the charges only apply for repeat statements, in case you lost one or whatever.

My reading of the flyer was that it applied to all statements. I'm glad to be wrong (not often it happens!!) but I was going to object with my feet! Meeting my BOI Mgr tomorrow and this is one of the items I intend to clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FutureProof

Avns1s wrote:
    My reading of the flyer was that it applied to all statements.

Yes and it was mine too. When I rang the woman said "If you read the letter, you will see it's just for repeat statements", and I didn't have the letter in front of me so I couldn't argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I don't know about BOI, but a quick google reveals that AIB are now promoting "e-statements" over the traditional paper but it is just an option

http://www.ambrand.com/2006/12/19/estatements-yay-or-nay/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Can you guys see your cc statement through 365online? I never had that option and asked for it (admittedly a couple years back now) and was told it couldnt be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

skywalker wrote:
    Can you guys see your cc statement through 365online? I never had that option and asked for it (admittedly a couple years back now) and was told it couldnt be done.

yea you can, ring banking 365, the conact info is on the 365 page, and give them the details, and they will add it to you accounts list. i can transfer money from my current a/c to credit card a.c and my joint a/c with herself for the mortgage etc... we have our a/c's cross matched for transferring money... very handy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

skywalker wrote:

No you cant, all you can do is add the cc and view the balance. Transaction history cannot be viewed online. Admittantly BOI's systems are all over the shop, and all B365 does is pull a variety of data from different systems throughout the bank. Can't explain why you can see a CC statement online as there should be no problem doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

um i can view my transaction history for my BOI visa. you just need to get them to add the cc number as an account under your 365 account. i can view every statement dating back to when i got the card.

Advertisement