Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poor Megane MPG

Options
  • 13-01-2007 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

I have a 03 1.4L Megane for a few weeks and I think it MPG is very poor.

The best I can get on the open road @60MPH is 38/39 MPG. The car also feels very "dead" acceleration-wise.

Is this normal for these cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Is this the current model, Megane II or the older model?
    The current model is a heavy car, like all modern cars with lots of electronics and safety features. A 1.4 motor aint going to set an speed records.
    Your MPG is good for the weight and size of the car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

ongarite wrote:
    Is this the current model, Megane II or the older model?
    The current model is a heavy car, like all modern cars with lots of electronics and safety features. A 1.4 motor aint going to set an speed records.
    Your MPG is good for the weight and size of the car IMO.
    Its the new model.

The car is heavy @1.2 tonnes but I think the fuel consumption is appaling. I should also have mentioned that town driving is about 25 MPG.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Did it break down yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Renault reckon it should do around 40mpg combined but in fairness that depends on perfect driving and conditions so reality will be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote:
    Renault reckon it should do around 40mpg combined but in fairness that depends on perfect driving and conditions so reality will be less.

The manufacturer's claimed figures generally tend to be a bit on the optimystic side though. I think 38mpg is good.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    The manufacturer's claimed figures generally tend to be a bit on the optimystic side though. I think 38mpg is good.

assumeing for them overestimating, 38 might be, but when you take into account anythign above optimum revs and maybe heavy braking etc, maybe 35 combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Stekelly wrote:

Yep 40 combined and 50 on the open road. These figures are almost impossible to achieve in any car and I think the best you could hope for is about 90% - so the car should do about 45MPG on the open road and 36 MPG around the town. My car does far less than this.

I had a new model 1.6 Primera a few years back and it did almost 50 to the gallon. I also had a 1.8 Rover 75 and that had better fuel consumption figures than the Megane :mad:

I have the same car, 04 model and I get around 34-35 MPG combined. Winter MPG will be worse due to heavier load on alternator, lights, heater, etc..

If it's any consolation I get about 20mpg in the safrane.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What MPG do people expect out of cars? Anything over 30mpg is good imo.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote:

Thats a sweepign statement that just cant work.

ie. in my clio I use for work, 30 mpg would be appaling. in my 2.5 petrol safrane it would be great. In a 1.9D octavia, it would be worse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

anything under 90mpg on an Octavia is appalling, if legend is to be believed!

colm_mcm wrote:
    anything under 90mpg on an Octavia is appalling, if legend is to be believed!

I really shouldnt have mentioned the O word, but then it hadnt got it's obligatory mention in this thread yet. :D

tbh it was the first car that came to mind when I was looking for diesel figures. I was reading a thread were it was metioned just before though, so maybe that stuck it in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

mloc123 wrote:

Well, my Micra gets between 35 - 40mpg, which is pretty rubbish considering it only has about 50bhp and it could get 55mpg+ when new.

A small engine in a heavy car is always going to be pushed hard and high revving so MPG will suffer. AFAIK the 1.6 in the Megane will get same MPG as the 1.4 while being more comfortable to drive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ongarite wrote:
    A small engine in a heavy car is always going to be pushed hard and high revving so MPG will suffer. AFAIK the 1.6 in the Megane will get same MPG as the 1.4 while being more comfortable to drive.

Good point. My 1.8 Astra achieves better fuel economy than my wife's 1.4 307.

The fact that you've pointed out the car's poor acceleration is a hint that you are probably driving it relatively hard. Not having a go by the way, just speaking from experience, I drive foot to the floor in the 307 a lot of the time just to keep pace with the traffic as the old 1.4 is soooooooooo ssssllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww but you can bet that the fuel consumption is going through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did it break down yet? :D

Now now, no need for that!

wielding the axe already, eh.?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stekelly wrote:
    wielding the axe already, eh.?:)

I ain't done nothing yet - chorus: baby, baby ;)

Advertisement