Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PM Spam

Options
  • 13-01-2007 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

I've had 3 people spam me recently through pm. I don't want to turn off PMs as they can be handy. Just wondering what the protocol is for this? I've had 1 advertising some Leaving Cert site and 2, who I don't know at all asking me for my email and such because they're new and want to be my friend... Are there any rules of what you can and can't send through PM?

The latest one, received 5 mins ago:
    " hi. i'm new.
    i would like to add you to my friends list if you don't mind. when would be a good time to visit your town?"
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Simply ignore them. That will block any further pms from that user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I do but it's still annoying. I hadn't gotten any before this and suddenly a bunch of spammers show up. I don't want to keep getting them on a regular basis. Also it's different users every time.

Can you link me to all three users please. It might be the same person with multiple aco*****.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Name and shame. PM Spamming is a bannable offence I think.

OSDG sent :
    " LEAVING CERT NEWS
    HEY CHECK OUT www.digitalgrinds.ie

fellow student"

shanmcg sent the one I already posted.

The third I won't name as they seemed genuinely unaware it not being something that's appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Anti wrote:
    Can you link me to all three users please. It might be the same person with multiple aco*****.

How exactly do you plan on checking that for the OP?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

By requesting a SMOD to do it in the mods forum?

feylya wrote:
    By requesting a SMOD to do it in the mods forum?

Exactally.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Two users banned. Could you let us know who the third one is so we can warn them?

Please drop me or one of the other SMods a PM on this.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'll have a word with Digitalgrinds too. It wont be many and they wont be saying any back. :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hulla, Admins can mass delete every pm sent by a user (I dunno if you get that option). If you dont, then forward me the names as I will use it on them.

I've tracked down the company and people involved and sent them a nice little message.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Lol. "A a nice little message". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Say hello to my little friend!

film_scarface.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

What would be handy (though probably an absolute tonne of work) would be a "report correspondence" button that let a user let the S-Mods see the PMs they got from a particular user. There's been a few cases of Spam or worse where we've had little to go on and something like that would let us check them out without us having to have full read-rights on PMs (in case anyone reads this wrong, we currently can not ready your PMs - relax :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

LadyLotts wrote:
    " hi. i'm new.
    i would like to add you to my friends list if you don't mind. when would be a good time to visit your town?"

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Talliesin wrote:
    (in case anyone reads this wrong, we currently can not ready your PMs - relax :)).

Ah ha! I see what you did there. Do not try to fool me with your word play you equivocating vagabond.

*dons tinfoil hat*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

*Closes the window in which he was pm'ing ladylotts with "*Kiss Kiss* Very nice! How much?" *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

We can't ready them. Also we can't read them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

" hi. i'm new.
    I used to get things like this a lot. It's better when you toy them along then have them banned.
    Some just had female members of boards in their friends list when I looked, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I think he might be referring to Animal Crossing (visiting towns), did you post up your ACWW friend code at any point?

• Advertisement

Koneko, that would actually make sense... I thought it was someone totally taking the pis$. Lol

Advertisement