Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Attic conversion for 3 bed semi

• 13-01-2007 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi,

We have a 3 bed semi in Lucan which has a hipped roof. I would like to know if anyone with the same type of house has had their attic converted. If so I have a few questions

1: how much did it cost?
    2: how long did it take?
    3: was planning permission required?
    4: what did you do with you stairs?

Many thanks,
    D8Player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

d8player wrote:

1: how much did it cost? It can vary alot. 15-30k
    2: how long did it take? This too can vary, depends on how quick the contractor can get in
    3: was planning permission required? It isn't always, but for you it will be.
    4: what did you do with you stairs? There a a few solutions. The best depends on what it will be used for. Either a fold down stairs in the landing, or a stairs from a bedromm/wardrobe

Many thanks,
    D8Player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

d8player wrote:
    Hi,

We have a 3 bed semi in Lucan which has a hipped roof. I would like to know if anyone with the same type of house has had their attic converted. If so I have a few questions

1: how much did it cost? About 25k
    2: how long did it take? In and around 3 weeks
    3: was planning permission required? No if it,s a store room (WINK WINK)
    4: what did you do with you stairs? You sometime,s can put them on the landing.

Many thanks,
    D8Player

How,s that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,286 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mellor, how are you sure that planning permission will be needed in this instance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

Carpenter wrote:
    How,s that

How did you deal with the hipped roof? Were the trusses a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

muffler wrote:
    Mellor, how are you sure that planning permission will be needed in this instance

Because in most cases for hipped roofs you need some head height to get up a stairs if you intend to put a stairs up connecting onto old stairs. You need to build out so it needs planning permission. But all depends on what you want to use attic for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

d8player wrote:
    Hi,

Many thanks,
    D8Player

3 weeks
    er - we didn't apply. various sources (including our builder) claim that you don't need PP provided you're not altering the roofline or putting windows to the front. I've never seen this officially confirmed though.
    we were able to get them up from the landing.

the resulting "room" is not huge but big enough for a desk and a futon. head height is about 6'5" for most of the room, sloping down where the windows are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

Hi loyatemu,

Who did you use and were you happy with the job?

Thanks,
    Diarmuid
    loyatemu wrote:

3 weeks
    er - we didn't apply. various sources (including our builder) claim that you don't need PP provided you're not altering the roofline or putting windows to the front. I've never seen this officially confirmed though.
    we were able to get them up from the landing.

the resulting "room" is not huge but big enough for a desk and a futon. head height is about 6'5" for most of the room, sloping down where the windows are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,286 ✭✭✭✭muffler

loyatemu wrote:
    That would be right providing there are no windows to front or side.

3 velux rooflights are allowed to the rear

Advertisement