Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People turning right

Options
  • 13-01-2007 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

This has bugged me for ages. I'm comign across it mor eand more often. Why do some people when turning right, and there is another row of cars coming from the road in front of them turnign right, want to pas the first car in the opposite row before turning right? My badly drawn diagrams hopefully explain it.

Basically if theres also cars on the inside of the person turnign right it both stops any more cars on the other side turnign righ even when there no other cars for them to cross because the tool that insisted on turnign right between the cars in the other right turning lane is heled up by cars comign straight. the reult is that neither set of cars can turn.

Iv'e explaine dit soooo badly but I think most people will knwo what I'm on about (or not:) )

So for the record, fig A is bad , fig b is good. Again appologies for the ramblings above and the appaling drawings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Just as a mater of interest, are you drunk? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boy I'm gald you thoughtfully provided pix! The correct approach is to 'hook' around the car coming against you but of course it takes two to do that which is why its often not done cos one or both parties will reckon the other guy does'nt know the correct proceedure.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Max_Damage wrote:
    Just as a mater of interest, are you drunk? :D

nope. but i think i overused the words "turning" and "right". :D

mike65 wrote:
    Boy I'm gald you thoughtfully provided pix! .

Thanks, I thought they'd struggle to get recognised as pictures.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Isn't Drawing A the correct one? That's what my driving instructor told me - "Toe to tail" (ie. drive PAST the other vehicle before making your turn) when two cars are turning right. I'm a B Man myself though. No point going toe-to-tail only for the other car to plough into your flank.

rediguana wrote:
    Isn't Drawing A the correct one? That's what my driving instructor told me - "Toe to tail" (ie. drive PAST the other vehicle before making your turn) when two cars are turning right. I'm a B Man myself though. No point going toe-to-tail only for the other car to plough into your flank.

It may well be right, but it's bloody stupid and only done by a small minority in my experience. It's stupid when theres traffic also going straight as when one right turning person gets stuck, both lanes are screwed, it also means only one person can turn right at a time.

I cant remember back to when I got driving lessons but I dotn think it ever came up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

On the new "inner relief road" in Sligo there are several such (busy) junctions.
    A few weeks after opening the road some thoghtful soul actually marked and signposted the road in such a way that you have to turn according to figure "B".

They had to ... the whole new road came to a complete standstill due to idiots blocking every crossing with their "toe to tail" right turning maneuvres.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Have to agree with you Stekelly.........it really annoys me when you get someone who does it wrong i.e. fig A........I always try the fig B one but only if the other guy coming the opposite way knows to do it as well...if not.....you can be stuck.....

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

over here the highway code states
    "157: When turning at a cross roads where an oncoming vehicle is also turning right, there is a choice of two methods

turn right side to right side; keep the other vehicle on your right and turn behind it. This is generally the safest method as you have a clear view of any approaching traffic when completing your turn
    left side to left side, turning in front of each other. This can block your view of oncoming vehicles, so take extra care.
    Road layout, markings or how the other vehicle is positioned can determine which course should be taken."

I would say that 99.99% of uk drivers use the second method

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I use method B pretty much all the time, unless I'm forced into using method A by the other driver. I don't find that the hooking around approach gives much more visibility.

May be mistaken here, but I remember ads on TV for the hook around method years ago, but then they changed the recommended practice. I think B is what they recommend now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hooking around is the better and more correct practice imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In the driving test they prefer you to hook around but if the other driver doesn't co-operate, you don't get penalised for going nearside to nearside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

A is correct because it allows you to see approaching traffic but I usually try to do B, or not get into that situation at all. If I'm waiting in the junction, I'll try to do a 'B style' turn before the person approaching gets there. If I'm approaching the junction I'll usually slow down and let them go first. I just don't trust people to do it correctly.

Some junctions are marked out for the second option only. I think the one in Monaghan Town when taking a right at Dunnes Stores is an example (if I'm recalling it correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To a degree, it depends on the size of the junction and hte amount of traffic in each flow. The "hook left, turn right" rule is from a different era. On some modern roads, espcially where there are traffic lights and dedicated lanes for turning right, disobeying the rule is much more practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

This is the problem. No one knows how to turn right. Everyone here says they "know" the first method is correct but use the second or wait to see what the other lad is going to do. The first method is the correct method. We drive on the left here and keep oncoming traffic to our right. Method b breaks that rule. If everyone knew how to drive, this would not be an issue. Diagram A there is the correct method, but some plonker (car 2) is sitting in the box. There lies your problem. There would be no problem if car 2 waited outside the box until his exit was clear, and car 1 could sit in the box (provided his exit was clear) until the oncoming traffic abated, while the car on the other side of the road could execute his manouvre without any problem.
    No wonder there are so many accidents at junctions with people not knowing, or forcing other people to break the rules because they think they know better, or general fluting around and sussing out what the other guy might do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Diagram is A correct to my eyes for the reasons Biro states.

However, I'm not sure I see any problem with what car 2 is doing. As long as he's pulled up far enough, he won't be blocking car 1. And he's perfectly correct to be in the box in that situation. Any car behind car 2 in the right-turn lane, however, must sit outside the box in order to allow oncoming cars turning right to complete the manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

These diagrams are clearer and in colour ;), I personally prefer the first one.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/16.htm#157

"turn right side to right side; keep the other vehicle on your right and turn behind it. This is generally the safest method as you have a clear view of any approaching traffic when completing your turn "

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Diagram is A correct to my eyes for the reasons Biro states.

However, I'm not sure I see any problem with what car 2 is doing. As long as he's pulled up far enough, he won't be blocking car 1. And he's perfectly correct to be in the box in that situation. Any car behind car 2 in the right-turn lane, however, must sit outside the box in order to allow oncoming cars turning right to complete the manoeuvre.

When the junction is big enough then A is the correct method.
    If there isn't room to do this correctly (i.e. 2 would indeed be blocking 1),
    then B is the way to do it.

the hook around method only gives more visibilty if there are no other cars waiting to turn right against you. Otherwise being in between 2 cars is the same as inly being in front of one. So if there is only car turnign right, there isnt an issue anyway because nobody is holding anyone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I learned the "A" method and it's kinda the accepted practice in the North; when I try it in Dublin it seems to confuse people, so I definitely resort to "B"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

I would mostly use the "A" method as well, its much safer. There's too many drivers who don't indicate or do indicate but drive straight on. Using the "A" method is much safer.

Use method "B" if there's filter lights at the junction, using method "A" would be stupid. It's common sense really. A good driver will use both methods and never question when one should be used.

I can't say I've ever encountered any traffic jams caused by either method to be honest?

While on the subject of turning right:

Why, when at a junction with a full green light followed by a dedicated right arrow, do many motorists insist on waiting for the arrow even when there is nothing coming from the opposite direction? :( :rolleyes:

Why, when at a junction with a full green light followed by a dedicated right arrow, do many motorists insist on waiting for the arrow even when there is nothing coming from the opposite direction? :( :rolleyes:

On a similar note, I've noticed a lot of people turning on a straight arrow.I'd have no sympathy for impatient people like this if they had an accident but generally the reason a straight arrow is given is because there is a pedestrian light at both or one side so they have to wait for that to go, it's a potentially fatal move.

Stekelly wrote:
    On a similar note, I've noticed a lot of people turning on a straight arrow.I'd have no sympathy for impatient people like this if they had an accident but generally the reason a straight arrow is given is because there is a pedestrian light at both or one side so they have to wait for that to go, it's a potentially fatal move.
    I have to admit Stekelly that I did that once when in a hurry at the Millmount House in Drumcondra. :o No one was crossing but as I took the turn I was pulled over by one of Ireland's finest on the beat. I admitted straight away that I was aware of what I had done and he was very polite and kept apologising for stopping me. He asked to see my licence - all above board. All I could think was that I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. :o He went around to the nearside to check the windscreen discs. I discreetly slipped on the belt. I was bracing myself for a fine/penalty points etc. but he said "Work away there sir and keep that oul belt on if you can atall". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Option B or nothing at all ;)

So many times I've seen people attempting Option A at a busy Dual Carriageway junction and causing absolute mayhem. No thanks, I'd rather wait.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Stekelly wrote:
    This has bugged me for ages. I'm comign across it mor eand more often. Why do some people when turning right, and there is another row of cars coming from the road in front of them turnign right, want to pas the first car in the opposite row before turning right? My badly drawn diagrams hopefully explain it.

So for the record, fig A is bad , fig b is good.

i do believe its the law to hook around the other car, as in Fig.A.
    maybe not very practical but its the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I don't understand why people do that, just as I don't understand people who turn right when they have a green light for straight on and a very distinct RED light for the right turn? Why can't they wait the 20 or 30 seconds for the light to change???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have to admit Stekelly that I did that once when in a hurry at the Millmount House in Drumcondra. :o No one was crossing but as I took the turn I was pulled over by one of Ireland's finest on the beat. I admitted straight away that I was aware of what I had done and he was very polite and kept apologising for stopping me. He asked to see my licence - all above board. All I could think was that I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. :o He went around to the nearside to check the windscreen discs. I discreetly slipped on the belt. I was bracing myself for a fine/penalty points etc. but he said "Work away there sir and keep that oul belt on if you can atall". :D

Jasus I'd have done you for both no question! Nods and winks can work with some people as they get the point but others (and I know a few) simply exploit the generosity.

Mike.

Advertisement