Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 km/h speed limit on N9 from beyond Dunkitt

• 14-01-2007 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

I see that there's a 50 km/h speed limit in operation now on the N9 all the way from Waterford out to approximately the Kilmacow turn-off beyond Dunkitt (out by that tractor garage, don't know what it's called).

The signs are very small, and the average Irish motorist either doesn't see them or doesn't care that they exist, because people are still bombing up and down that stretch.

I commute to Kilkenny daily along the N9/N10 and of course I shouldn't be going over 50 km/h on that section, but to be honest, I do 50-60 along there. Nevertheless, I get lines of cars building up behind me and overtaking one after another, despite the fact that I'm doing well over the speed limit. It's driving me nuts!

Can the NRA or KK county council not put up big temporary signs advising of the change? Can the Gardai not make an example of a few of these people?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Or up the limit. Bigger signs are NOT going to make people slow down. I dont know this road BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats a looooooong way out, I hav'nt been out the N9 for ages so is the limit to do with the bypass works?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bigger signs are NOT going to make people slow down.

I reckon the problem is that most people are unaware of the speed limit since it was only changed recently. Bigger signs would certainly mean that more drivers were aware of the limit. Usually when there's a 50 km/h limit imposed on a national road, there are two massive "gateway" signs on either side of the road, so you know the limit is changing. There is nothing like that on this road, just the usual little signs.

I dont know this road BTW.

It's the last 5 km or so coming into Waterford from Dublin. It's just a standard two-lane road with hard shoulders along parts of it. It's mostly rural since 90% of Waterford sits on the south bank of the river - and this is the main road in from the north.

The reason, I imagine, for the change in speed limit is that there is a lot of construction activity in the area for the new N25 bypass and bridge. Also the new dual carriageway to Dublin will be starting construction in the next few weeks apparently, and will generate more construction traffic again in that area.

Well for example the M50 has a few mile strech north-south that is 60 and there are a rake of signs and still i have yet to see a car doing <90. I've tried a few times to stick at the 60 but just can't car creeps up to 90 (more of a case wont slow below 90) without even thinking about it.

5km @ 50kph on the main road into a city is a bit of a joke tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

It's been like that all the way out past Grannagh since before Christmas too. I have e-mailed the NRA last week advising them that the fact there is no warning signs about the change of spped limit it will lead to an accident..
    I too have had people tailgate me all the way out and try and overtake on double white lines because I was doing the speed limit of 50 Km/H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Native Tongue

Well for example the M50 has a few mile strech north-south that is 60 and there are a rake of signs and still i have yet to see a car doing <90. I've tried a few times to stick at the 60 but just can't car creeps up to 90 (more of a case wont slow below 90) without even thinking about it.

5km @ 50kph on the main road into a city is a bit of a joke tbh.

There are a rake of signs alright, including ones saying that Garda Speed Checks are in operation. Oddly I have yet to see one on that section of the M50. But the signs work, because I think a lot of people, paritcularly those who might not use the M50 that often, slow down because of them. I think you're wrong about no cars doing less than 90. Most of the traffic in the left lane on that section (northbound traffic at least) are driving 60-70km/h. I usually do, and I'm often behind a lot of traffic driving at this speed also.

as this is the Waterford forum about speed limits in and around Waterford can we keep it to the locality and not talk about Cork or Dublin or it will degress into national spped limits which should belong on the commuting/transport forum... ok Rant over

Meanwhile back on topic

Did anyone see the Garda spped check at the Ferry Bar just at the begining of the New Year... I wonder will they make this a regular one now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bards wrote:
    as this is the Waterford forum about speed limits in and around Waterford can we keep it to the locality and not talk about Cork or Dublin or it will degress into national spped limits which should belong on the commuting/transport forum... ok Rant over

Fair enough, but it makes sense to point out what is done in other parts of the country. The repeated orange signs on the M50 pointing out the speed limit and threatening Garda speed checks are there because there are road works in place.

No doubt this new speed limit in Dunkitt has been applied because there will soon be huge roadworks in the area as Waterford's roads are (finally) brought up to the standard that's already in place in most Irish cities. However, if people don't see the signs (and that is what I honestly believe is happening), it's not much use.

Bards wrote:
    Did anyone see the Garda spped check at the Ferry Bar just at the begining of the New Year... I wonder will they make this a regular one now.

Where is the Ferry Bar?

fricatus wrote:
    Where is the Ferry Bar?

Just past the Grannagh Junction Head towards Limerick and is on your left

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If people want to go over the 50km/h speed limit - can others not just move in on the hard shoulder to let them pass?

Iv seen this time and time again, people wanting to either go at the speed limit or below it and take possesion of the road refusing to move from others who do not wish to travel at the same pace.

Slightly off topic I know, but I thought it deserved a mentioned to those complaining about being tail-gated.

• Advertisement

Sully04 wrote:
    If people want to go over the 50km/h speed limit - can others not just move in on the hard shoulder to let them pass?

Iv seen this time and time again, people wanting to either go at the speed limit or below it and take possesion of the road refusing to move from others who do not wish to travel at the same pace.

Slightly off topic I know, but I thought it deserved a mentioned to those complaining about being tail-gated.

AFAIK it's illegal to use the shoulder for this purpose.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was told something similar, but not legal issues. I was told you were not covered by insurance if you drove in there - but that was never confirmed.

If you wont go into the hard shoulder, at least move in to the left a bit bordering the shoulder making it easier and safe to overtake..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The HS can be used for passing manoeuvres.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Sully04 wrote:

why should people move in if they are going the limit:confused: If some one wants to go over the speed limit its up to them theres only one place theyl end up and thats a ditch:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Its only an offence to drive on the Hard Shoulder of a motorway.

Its something to do with encouraging the driver behind to over take you and if you are doing the limit then you are encouraging them to break the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Aquos76 wrote:
    Its only an offence to drive on the Hard Shoulder of a motorway.

http://www.lireland.com/theory/roadway.htm

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sorry Freddie, I should have made myself a little clearer, it is an offence to drive on the hard shoulder other that to pull over on to the hard shoulder to allow another vehicle to pass safely. It is however an offence to carry out this procedure on a motorway.

Car Mad wrote:
    why should people move in if they are going the limit:confused: If some one wants to go over the speed limit its up to them theres only one place theyl end up and thats a ditch:rolleyes:

My grandmother had this attitude and tried telling me one day. I told her she was in the wrong as she was likely to cause an accident by irritating drivers behind her. She refused to accept my views and went to the local Garda station to prove she was right. They told her that what she was doing was dangerous and that she should leave policing the roads to the Gardai.

That's all very well and good if there is a HS... The road I am on about (Heading out the Limerick road from the Grannagh Junction) has houses right on the edge of the road is very hilly and and a series of bad bends. so it is impossible to pull over to the HS. I have seen people overtkae other cars doing the speed limit with scant regard for what may be about to come around the bend, just because they want to break the law.

I believe tailgating carries two penalty points now.

• Advertisement

Car Mad wrote:

Why shouldnt people move in if they are going the limit and they are being presued by a vehcicle which wishes to overtake?

I assume your not a member of the Gardai, so you cant do much about it. Taking possession of the road and refusing to leave a car pass who wishes to, is to me - a hazard waiting to happen. Often or not, it causes the driver to become agitated and the drive may over-take when it is not safe to do so just because you refuse to move for him and may result in an accident. Not just for him, but maybe you also. Would you like that on your conscience, if you caused an accident all because you were to stubborn to move in for a speeding motorist who didn't want to sit behind you?

If you have a problem with a car behind you, move in and let him pass. Take down his registration plate and vehicle type and call the Gardai Traffic Watch or your local garda station and report the vehicle for dangerous driving / speeding. Maybe then the driver will learn how to drive with caution, within the speed limit and get a bit of anger management while he/she is at it. :rolleyes:

There is enough carniage on the roads without this kind of behaviour of "**** em, im within the speed limit and im not moving for nobody". (Obviously, im not suggesting move into a HS or pull over if its not safe to do so. Im saying, it should be done WHEN safe todo so!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sir_Ossis

Sully04 wrote:
    Why shouldnt people move in if they are going the limit and they are being presued by a vehcicle which wishes to overtake?

I assume your not a member of the Gardai, so you cant do much about it. Taking possession of the road and refusing to leave a car pass who wishes to, is to me - a hazard waiting to happen. Often or not, it causes the driver to become agitated and the drive may over-take when it is not safe to do so just because you refuse to move for him and may result in an accident. Not just for him, but maybe you also. Would you like that on your conscience, if you caused an accident all because you were to stubborn to move in for a speeding motorist who didn't want to sit behind you?

If you have a problem with a car behind you, move in and let him pass. Take down his registration plate and vehicle type and call the Gardai Traffic Watch or your local garda station and report the vehicle for dangerous driving / speeding. Maybe then the driver will learn how to drive with caution, within the speed limit and get a bit of anger management while he/she is at it. :rolleyes:

There is enough carniage on the roads without this kind of behaviour of "**** em, im within the speed limit and im not moving for nobody". (Obviously, im not suggesting move into a HS or pull over if its not safe to do so. Im saying, it should be done WHEN safe todo so!).

You forget the number one truism of motoring:

No matter where you are, no matter what car you're in, no matter what your speed is - there is always somebody who wants to go faster than you.

Sir_Ossis wrote:

No matter where you are, no matter what car you're in, no matter what your speed is - there is always somebody who wants to go faster than you.

The number one truism of motoring is that every driver thinks "I'm always right and everybody else on the road is always wrong".

Sir_Ossis wrote:

I rarley come across that to be honest, but I dont drive very far. Living in Tramore, on the Tramore - Waterford road a lot and most people travel at the speed limit with little worry. Iv came across people going a lot slower on that stretch, and refusing to move in. Mainly old folks tho.

Been around to Kilkenny and Dungarvan, but did find it on the road to Dungarvan people were over-taking me a lot as I wanted to travel the speed limit (the weather was poor also, so I was being extra careful). I let them take me over by moving in on the HS. Majority wave or place hazzard lights on to acknowledge me moving in for them. Just dont see the point in taking possesion and refusing to let them pass

Aquos76 wrote:
    Sorry Freddie, I should have made myself a little clearer, it is an offence to drive on the hard shoulder other that to pull over on to the hard shoulder to allow another vehicle to pass safely. It is however an offence to carry out this procedure on a motorway.

No bod Aquos. The whole HS thing is a very grey area. On a similar note, has anyone noticed the amount of vehicles PARKED in the HS while the renovations are going on in Sheridans on the Cork Road (and before that at the new clinic a bit further out)?

How is it that both the Gardai and the HSA choose to ignore this? I work near there and have seen many, many close ones. But, as usual, it will take a bad crash or fatality before anything is done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Freddie59 wrote:
    How is it that both the Gardai and the HSA choose to ignore this? I work near there and have seen many, many close ones. But, as usual, it will take a bad crash or fatality before anything is done about it.

have you got a suggestion on where they should park?
    Sully04 wrote:

yes well thats all well and good but what if im doing 65-68mph on a 60mph road yes im braking the speed limit and yet there are many clowns out there who will still want to overtake do you think i should pull into the hard shoulder just to leave them keep on speeding.It is dangerous to pull into a hard shoulder hard shoulder is for broken down cars etc.Iv asked countless instructors should i pull in if a car wants to overtake and they all said if your doing the speed limit you dont have to if someone wants to exceed the speed limit thats there problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is no reference to any order reducing the speedlimit on either the NRA website or KK county councils site. Without a proper speedlimit order in place the signs are meaningless.

Also the 2 terminal signs are not level with each other. Loads of scope for legal challenges when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,665 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Over the last few days I've seen several pedestrians with no reflective clothing walking on the hard shoulder of the tramore road. There was one elderly man with his back to the traffic completely dressed in black (including cap) just around dusk, he was barely visible. If someone doing 80 pulled over for any reason,including letting someone speed past, the old man would have been dead. Yes I know he shouldn't have been there dressed like that, but should he end up dead for somebody's impatience. I will pull over if its completely safe, but I've been overtaken on double white lines when it hasn't been safe for me to pull in - coming up to a left turn for example. Especially by that moron on the tramore road in the big black saloon with a dub reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I just noticed this recently, I was driving home from my grans (I took that road that takes you from the Sean Ti pub to the N9 (crossing a level crossing just a few meters before the stop sign). And from there the sign says 100, it hits 50 a about a kilometer down the road, but 50 is such a rediculous limit on a main road, so like everyone else I just kept the foot down.

Now if you want to talk about rediculous limits on roads, what about the Waterford Bypass (R710) that takes you from the Cork road to Williamstown (and if you keep going straight, past Tesco and to Ardkeen). The limit on the whole stretch of road is a snails-pace 60 and most of the rural roads that intersect at the roundabouts are signposted for 80, even the Tramore Road is 80 (though it should be 100). What really burns me about this road, and the tramore road, is how there is this ****ty backwater road near Kill which is, 100! Does anyone in Waterford Co have a brain between their ears?

• Advertisement

Car Mad wrote:
    have you got a suggestion on where they should park?

Anywhere - as long as it's not in the Hard Shoulder on a National Euro Route while being a danger to oncoming traffic in both directions and to traffic exiting the Industrial Estate.

Just because they're working there does not give them this right. People work in the City Centre every day and cannot abandon their cars wherever they see fit.

A bit of cop-on is required.

Advertisement