Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 km/h speed limit on N9 from beyond Dunkitt

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Freddie59 wrote:
    Anywhere - as long as it's not in the Hard Shoulder on a National Euro Route while being a danger to oncoming traffic in both directions and to traffic exiting the Industrial Estate.

Just because they're working there does not give them this right. People work in the City Centre every day and cannot abandon their cars wherever they see fit.

A bit of cop-on is required.

still didnt answer my question :rolleyes: there is car parks in the city centre there is no where to park on the main road into town maybe the people driving too fast coming in and out of the industrial estates should have some cop on and maybe if you stay between the yellow and white lines you wouldnt have close calls;) Iv never had any near misses on that road and i passes several times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Car Mad wrote:
    still didnt answer my question :rolleyes: there is car parks in the city centre there is no where to park on the main road into town maybe the people driving too fast coming in and out of the industrial estates should have some cop on and maybe if you stay between the yellow and white lines you wouldnt have close calls;) Iv never had any near misses on that road and i passes several times a day.

OK, I'll explain slowly for you. If you read the opening few words there (just where you roll your eyes) it will explain it. ANYWHERE - EXCEPT THE HARD SHOULDER. Is that clear enough for you? My apologies if you're a foreign national only starting to learn English.

It is illegal to park there. End of story. There have been several near misses observed by myself and others. The fact that they have nowhere to park is completely irrelevant. The contractor could easily rent space from the likes of, say, the Holy Cross Bar, Manor Court Hotel, etc and provide park and ride facilities.

Of course this would cost money - so let's risk people's lives instead. An Irish solution to an Irish problem. Proof of the problem there can be seen today where the entrance to the Estate is now bollarded off. You probably don't believe that either, so have a look tomorrow while you're avoiding all those non-existent hazards.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Car Mad wrote:

During the construction of the Whitfield Clinic, construction traffic was parked on the hard shoulder outside the site. I came along there in October 2005 doing about 30 - 40 MPH well below the 60MPh speed limit at lunch time.

A car pulled out right in front of me from the SIte entrance. he didn't see me becasue of the illegal parked traffic and I didn't see him until the last minute for the very same reasons.

Needless to say a collision was caused. Gardai came on the scene and told the other driver that he was at fault and to tell the site Health & Safety office to move those vehicles as they were causing an obstruction.

nothing happened becasuse I was along there the following day and the same vehicles were parked there.

Moral of story... the Hard Shoulder is not for parking on as it can and will lead to accidents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Bards wrote:
    During the construction of the Whitfield Clinic, construction traffic was parked on the hard shoulder outside the site. I came along there in October 2005 doing about 30 - 40 MPH well below the 60MPh speed limit at lunch time.

A car pulled out right in front of me from the SIte entrance. he didn't see me becasue of the illegal parked traffic and I didn't see him until the last minute for the very same reasons.

Needless to say a collision was caused. Gardai came on the scene and told the other driver that he was at fault and to tell the site Health & Safety office to move those vehicles as they were causing an obstruction.

nothing happened becasuse I was along there the following day and the same vehicles were parked there.

Moral of story... the Hard Shoulder is not for parking on as it can and will lead to accidents

Agreed Bards. My point entirely. Hope no-one was hurt and damage was not too severe. Interesting that the Gardai did not move them on or fine them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Bards wrote:

Nor, contrary to what vast numbers of Irish drivers seem to think, is it a merging lane for traffic coming out of junctions on the left. The number of times all over the country I've seen gob****es just drive straight out of side roads onto the hard shoulder right in front of me with no signs of slowing down never mind stopping. It's incredibly dangerous, and if the guards would start addressing stuff like this rather than sitting cosily on dual carriageways shooting fish in barrells the roads would be a safer place :mad: . Right, rant mode off....

• Advertisement
Advertisement