Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a quoted price include VAT

Options
  • 14-01-2007 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

When a business quotes a price to an individual should the price be inclusive of VAT? I recently had an experience where a business verbally stated that all prices are 'ex-VAT' even though I had written confirmation of the price without any mention of VAT. I argued that all prices quoted to an individual should include any extras and the price quoted is the price you pay - is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Yorky wrote:
    When a business quotes a price to an individual should the price be inclusive of VAT? I recently had an experience where a business verbally stated that all prices are 'ex-VAT' even though I had written confirmation of the price without any mention of VAT. I argued that all prices quoted to an individual should include any extras and the price quoted is the price you pay - is this correct?

Generally speaking, most quotations would be subject to VAT. At the very least, they should make it clear on the quotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

But if you are a VAT registered business you don't have to pay VAT. Some businesses don't charge VAT at all since they might only deal directly with other businesses! In that case I can't see why they would include VAT on a quote since they are not going to charge it to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I'm not a business - just an individual and the job was doen for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Prices quoted must include VAT, where applicable, by law, unless explicitly stated that it is ex VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

From ODCA website - www.odca.ie

Goods are on sale in a shop and the prices displayed are not inclusive of VAT ?

Under the Prices and Charges (Tax Inclusive Statement) Order, 1973 all prices, either displayed or quoted, should be tax inclusive.

However, in certain shops, such as machinery Hire Shops, it may not be a breach of the Act to show tax-exclusive prices. This is because such shops are not exclusively aimed at consumers (i.e. they also deal with sales to particular trades).

Other examples would be - Trade Paint stores, Electrical wholesale, Certain motor factors, Business Stationery outlets, Printers,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Yorky wrote:
    the price quoted is the price you pay - is this correct?

I'm sure T & C's apply and it would be seen as an invitation to treat and not hold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

should invoices (eg for tv/broadband/gas/esb) display the amount of VAT that is charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bullrunner wrote:
    should invoices (eg for tv/broadband/gas/esb) display the amount of VAT that is charged?

Prices should either be inclusive of vat or clearly stated that they are vat exclusive and an invoice must include a vat breakdown. In the ops case he was told that the price was vat exclusive.

Advertisement