Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heatloss & drafts found in house - builders responsibility?

• 14-01-2007 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

If a thermal imaging test shows up that an RSJ has been incorrectly installed and is creating a thermal bridge, is there any requirement for the house builder to take remedial action?

Also, is there any requirement for them to seal up drafts around windowboards and architraves etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

Yorky wrote:
    If a thermal imaging test shows up that an RSJ has been incorrectly installed and is creating a thermal bridge, is there any requirement for the house builder to take remedial action?

Also, is there any requirement for them to seal up drafts around windowboards and architraves etc?

Your builder/architects/engineer will have signed off the house to be compliant with Part L of the building regulations. In the Part L document there are a set of Robust details showing how sill & heads etc should be insulated - the doc also referes to a doc - 'Robust Details for Construction' that should be followed but I've only ever seen one in the whole of Ireland - mine!.\

That would be a good starting point - bad detailing will also lead to bad air permeability and drafts = a figure for these details will have to be put into the new BER calculation method - I bet the figures used will be of the highest standard!!!

I often thought that the only way to get build quality examined in Ireland would be if Eddie Hobbs and the consumer Assoc got on the case - after all it's our biggest sped - on a product that comes with NO quarantees.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciscokidder

Dont want to hijack your thread but all the same dont want to spam the board ;)

I paid a successful dublin company a ton of money to do a largish single story extension. There was an architect involved and a certificate of completion. Always paid on time and even paid him extra for some small changes.

Since then we have found its draughty, seems to be a probem in the attic insulation. After loads of calls he came back , agreed to fix it and has failed to return any calls ever since. I will probably have to get someone else to fix the issue.

Have I any sort of recourse (even just to force him to address the problem) as tis cold these days !

Any advice whether posted or PMd appreciated.

Cheers,

CK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

this is a tough one, especially as all the buil;ding elements are now covered up.

have u hany photos of the build?

it is hard to say what the exact problem is here.

did the builder install a vapour barrier? or did he use insulation with an integral vapour barrier.

if u bring an engineer/architect out to look at the problems they may be able to see something but unlikely..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciscokidder

Was that 4 me ? If so thanksfor that.

I have photos but none especially revealing unfortunately.:mad:

Got some other guys out who said they suspected lack of ventilation in the roof might be causing downdraughts as the insulation and overall build seemed ok so I think will come back and put in ventilation tiles and see if that improves matters.

I dont know much about it , am a bit surprised at how much wind is getting in. My downlighters are like cold air fans these days.

Cheers.

Advertisement