Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a dilemma

Options
  • 14-01-2007 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

My friend is living out in Kilkloon,co.meath and has decided he wants to get broadband,but according to getbroadband.ie,his only options are satellite (too expensive)and icecomms (terrible rep),he's just gonna use it for browsing so speeds/latency not a big deal once its not dial up speeds,he's willing to pay up to 50quid...are their any other providers out there,desperate question but will ripwave work out there?
    btw - off the topic but how do you check your line attenuation?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

getbroadband.ie removed Smart from their listings after the crap in October, and haven't put them back, so they're not a definitive list.

If the reason (and I'm guessing here) for thinking sat/wireless only is distance from the exchange, it might be worth checking Smart coz their BB travels 2km farther than eircom's.

"once it's not dial-up speeds"

That rules out Ripwave (based on personal experience) - last time I saw someone on that it was ranging from 28-44kbps (yup, that's a small b) - slower than a 56k modem.

Line attenuation shows up on a router AFTER you get BB; not sure if there's a standalone tester that you could try ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ripwave can run at 220k, but only if the sector is fairly empty. When congested Rip wave can drop to about 50k and pings rise to over 1700ms!

Twoway Satellite starts at 99 Euro a month. It works, but obviously poor pings (about 800ms absolute minimum).

Good broadband pings are 20ms to 45ms for an irish server. Obviously a further away server may have higher pings due to routing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

and can ripwave work anywhere?btw it kiloocan not kilcloon lol

Advertisement