Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy question

• 14-01-2007 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

has anyone or is it possible for someone in a first year of a 2 year higher cert to get the notes for second year and sit the exams during August when the repeats are on?

please no smart replies ... serious question..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i.e. skip a year? My advice would be to go visit your Head of Department, ask him or her and post their reply on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Yea not a bother of course it can be done. There was this guy that did it before think his name was einstein or somethin like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well im assumin ya'd have to pay the fees for 2nd year and all that jazz. doubt they'd give ya a free cert loike! it'd be an expensive gamble, but if u think u cud study a whole years worth of stuff in a month or 2 then ask them about it.

but ye, let us know what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

well i was gonna do it over the summer over 3 months and pretty much bust my ass at it.. but i need a merit 2 in the higher cert so I'll find out if thats possible to get without doing the practicals / projects

can I ask this, as I'm doing a Higher Cert, 2 years, if I want to continue to my degree, I have to do 3 more years, as 2 years of a higher cert is only equivilant to 1 year of a degree ? correct ? is there not a Degree course for Computer Networking and Optics ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

yeah thats right. After getting your cert you'll go to 2nd year of a degree course .... but there's no Networking Degree anymore. My class is the Last Year. We're a dying breed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Not entirely true about the networking degree, with CW019 and CW020 the two courses are combined together and broken up into 4 groups, then when you finish your first year you can go into applications, programming or networking, ive been speaking to john fogarty and he was telling me that theirs a good number who are willing to go on the networking side. So theirs still a bit of hope for us! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

but there is no course called Computer Networking tom. CW046 was the only networking course and is finished this year. So the current guys can go into different areas after a common first year. They are still in CW019 though arent they? Doesnt mention Networking Degree Courses in the ITCarlow prospectus.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

no it isn't possible if you need a merit2.

40% is the highest that you can get in repeats.

Transfer to 1st year of the other course now?

ShayK1 wrote:
    yeah thats right. After getting your cert you'll go to 2nd year of a degree course .... but there's no Networking Degree anymore. My class is the Last Year. We're a dying breed!

so if you want to transfer to another IT to do the second year of the cert you can't?! so your stuck basically in the one place until you get the qualification you started!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you can,once it is completely related

Moonbeam wrote:
    you can,once it is completely related

well I wanted to goto LIT into their course even though its a degree to finish my cert but apparently their different courses, but the subjects are the same for first year, i think I was just talking to the wrong person in LIT :mad:

Advertisement