Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfume

Options
  • 14-01-2007 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this? It appeals to me but would like to hear if anyone else read it & what you thought?
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Has anyone read this? It appeals to me but would like to hear if anyone else read it & what you thought?
    Thank you!

I finished reading this a few weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it. It was very different in tone and subject matter to anything else I've read recently. Loads of people had been telling me to read it, but I'd held off for a while as I thought I wa mostly about some wierd psychotic killer dude and I'm not really into that type of fiction ;) but it was actually more about the art of perfume making and about perceiving the world predominantly through smell. This meant that it was describing the events of the book from a completely original perspective ... so yep I'd reccomend it!
    I'm also quite curious to see the film even though I've heard it's not very good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

I finished reading this a few weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it. It was very different in tone and subject matter to anything else I've read recently. Loads of people had been telling me to read it, but I'd held off for a while as I thought I wa mostly about some wierd psychotic killer dude and I'm not really into that type of fiction ;) but it was actually more about the art of perfume making and about perceiving the world predominantly through smell. This meant that it was describing the events of the book from a completely original perspective ... so yep I'd reccomend it!
    I'm also quite curious to see the film even though I've heard it's not very good...

Yep that's what i was hoping. I'd like to read esp giving the theme on scent! I will try to pick it up so!
    I'd like to see the film too.. will wait til after the book now though. Thank you for the review!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just finished reading it last night. Fantastic book that's beautifully written and thoroughly original too.

I'd definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Another thumbs up here , very good read

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I had intended on reading it for the past three or four years, but when someone finally gave it to me as a gift, I couldn't put it off any longer. Although it's unusual, it's a fantastic book and is very absorbing. Despite the fact that people are being murdered, you find yourself as distanced from the victims in their physical state as he is, or at least I did. I really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Who is it by?. Haven`t seen the film but would like to read the book beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Patrick Süskind

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

highly recommended. its really descriptive, wonder how it translated to film

Advertisement