Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Characters that shouldn't be in a URL

Options
  • 14-01-2007 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm writing a simple encryption routine for my site, and have had some minor problems with it. Basically, I encrypt a string and then send it as a parameter to a URL, test.php?x={encrypted string}

Where it's failing, it's down to certain characters in this encrypted string, so &, =, # have all caused the resulting page to fail. That's fine, I can simply remove these characters from the encryption routine. But I can't test all possible encrypted strings, so is there a list of characters that might cause issue in a URL like these ones?
    &
    =
    #

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Haha. I was just thinking about writing a function to do something similar a few minutes ago. If anyone has an array of characters already prepared, do share the wealth. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Use PHP's urlencode/urldecode function, or an equivalent.

Advertisement