Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation

• 14-01-2007 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I posted earlier on the leaving cert forum looking for a translation, purplefistmixer gave me a translation in his/her words a "wild attempt" "A lán déanta, níos mó le dhéanamh" = a lot done more to do. (Fianna Fáil slogan)

He/She suggested I try the Irish Board

Id be grateful if anyone could confirm if this is correct for me please

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

natrisioga wrote:
    I posted earlier on the leaving cert forum looking for a translation, purplefistmixer gave me a translation in his/her words a "wild attempt" "A lán déanta, níos mó le dhéanamh" = a lot done more to do. (Fianna Fáil slogan)

He/She suggested I try the Irish Board

Id be grateful if anyone could confirm if this is correct for me please

Thanks in advance

Yeah purplefistmixer had it right. Only leave out the h in dhéanamh. Other than that it is spot on;

A lán déanta, níos mó le déanamh

Incidentally it seems that FF had that phrase translated as "Go leor déanta, go leor le déanamh" for the 2002 election campaign. Only problem with that is that "go leor" can mean both "a lot/lots" and "enough". So it's could be translated as "Enough done, enough to do".
    They got a bit of slagging in the Irish language media for that one. And rightly so. It seems they were being more honest about their programme for government in Irish than they were in English. :rolleyes:

Advertisement