Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to join RDF/PDF if your a member of a political party?

• 14-01-2007 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I was just wondering if you could, I read somewhere when you join the PDF you have to say you won't join a party but what if your already a member?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

AFAIK you may neither join nor subscribe to any political parties. Which I imagine means you must leave the party.

Have a look a the Defence Force Acts in the Useful Links sticky above and input the word "political" as a search term.

The relevent pages are in Chapter 1 pages 67,74,75.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Ya your not allowed to join a party, especially those "subversive" ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

I see all the barrack room lawyers are out in force, and they're all wrong as usual.

Short Answer, PDF no, RDF yes.

PDF oath on enlistment : I, ................, do solemnly swear (or declare) that I will be faithful to Ireland and loyal to the Constitution and that while I am a member of the Defence Forces I will obey all lawful orders issued to me by my superior officers and that while I am a member of the Permanent Defence Force I will not join or be a member of or subscribe to any political organisation or society or any secret society whatsoever and that, if I become a member of the Reserve Defence Force, I will not, while I am a member of the Reserve Defence Force, join or be a member of or subscribe to any secret society whatsoever.

RDF oath on enlistment : I, ................, do solemnly swear (or declare) that I will be faithful to Ireland and loyal to the Constitution and that while I am a member of the Reserve Defence Force I will obey all lawful orders issued to me by my superior officers and will not join or be a member of or subscribe to an secret society whatsoever.

PDF oath on commissioning : I, ................, do solemnly swear (or declare) that I will be faithful to Ireland and loyal to the Constitution and that while I am an officer of the Permanent Defence Force I will obey all lawful orders issued to me by my superior officers and will not join or be a member of or subscribe to any political organisation or society or any secret society whatsoever.

RDF oath on commissioning : I, ................, do solemnly swear (or declare) that I will be faithful to Ireland and loyal to the Constitution and that while I am an officer of the Reserve Defence Force I will obey all lawful orders issued to me by my superior officers and will not join or be a member of or subscribe to any secret society whatsoever.

You have a point. However in my own defence your Honour, I reponded to the question posed by the OP in the thread which is not quite the same as the thread title.*

Just as an aside, is the Minister for Defence as CIC of the DF technically a "member" of the DF?
    Is there a contradiction there somewhere as he is obviously a member of a Political Party?

* Now that's a real Barrackroom Lawyer at work.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

:)

CIC is the President, not the Minister, and no, is not technically, or otherwise a member of the Defence Forces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 DarkMuse

oh and I know its offtopic but what is AFAIK? I seem to be seeing it everywhere:rolleyes:

As far as I know it means as far as I know.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

As a matter of interest the late Charlie Haughey resigned his commission in the FCA on his election to the Dail in 1957. Michael Bell who was a Labour TD for Louth also resigned his commission in the FCA on election to the Dail in the 1980's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 DarkMuse

Hagar wrote:
    As far as I know it means as far as I know.:D

Ah, and here was me thinking it was some complicated "in" military term:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

AFAIK The President is the Supreme Commander of the DF and the President is a-political so either way membership of a political party isnt an issue for her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Ruen wrote:
    AFAIK The President is the Supreme Commander of the DF and the President is a-political so either way membership of a political party isnt an issue for her.

It's not an issue because she's not a member of the Defence Forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

Thanks for that cushtac:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

You're welcome :rolleyes:

BTW the Presidency is not apolitical, it is a very political role & most if not all of Ireland's presidents have belonged to one of the major political parties. There's also nothing in the Constitution that bars the President from being a member of a political party.

Advertisement