Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Mods looking after the Darts Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

A good mod should be able to distance themselves from the posters in a forum. I dont see how a regular poster in a relatively tight knit forum could do that so I think someone who has shown themselves to be a good mod should do this job for a while at least.

Amz is currently doing exams so I dont see why Tallisien cant keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks and then let Amz go back to actively modding the forum. If problems arise on the forum then report the offending posts.

Tallisiens dead right, this isnt about darts its about modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

6th wrote:
    Tallisiens dead right, this isnt about darts its about modding.

Bulls-eye, as the mod said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

6th wrote:
    A good mod should be able to distance themselves from the posters in a forum. I dont see how a regular poster in a relatively tight knit forum could do that so I think someone who has shown themselves to be a good mod should do this job for a while at least.
    In fairness, I think that some people that would match that description can be (and are) very good moderators. It can make things trickier though. The only time I'd be cautious about someone moderating a forum because it was one of those relatively tight knit ones is that people that tend to stick to just those forums tend to have a poor understanding of moderation compared with people who use a variety of boards including very busy and very light ones and ones (e.g. PI) with reasons for having particularly strict rules, especially since moderation on those forums is largely invisible unless a passionate discussion crosses the line into an abusive flamewar.

Could be even worse though if they only knew politics and PI and thought the kind of heavy moderation needed there was a good idea everywhere. If a thread in PI runs its course and turns into a chat it gets locked or people get warned or banned, because that's contrary to what the forum is meant to do, but in a smaller tight-knit forum locking that thread would prevent the normal communication between people that are part of the friendly clique that makes that forum work so as long as the chatting isn't preventing a pertinent discussion from continuing it should probably be left alone.

I'd actually lay good money that Kingp35 would be good at dealing with that tendency towards bias. If I start to suspect he's figured out what it is that moderators do and he wants the job I'll probably support him.

I'm still thinking that what Kingp35 actually wants done is a bunch of other stuff, ironically way cooler than anything a mod does qua mod, that is unrelated to being a mod. Mods do tend to be the people that do similar things around here, but mods do tend to be the most involved people in boards.ie generally.
    6th wrote:
    Amz is currently doing exams so I dont see why Tallisien cant keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks and then let Amz go back to actively modding the forum. If problems arise on the forum then report the offending posts.
    Amz is keeping an eye on things in any case, though nowhere near as actively as she normally moderates her forums (which is very actively indeed). You're right though that all the s-mods know that she's busy and if a post is reported in any Sports forum it will be looked at. Still there are s-mods that have more of an interest in sports than me (i.e. probably all of the other s-mods have more of an interest in sports than me) and given the motivation factor mentioned above it's hence more likely that another s-mod will react before I do (Spam is spam though, sometimes I don't even see what forum its in when I deal with that).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

i have no intrest in this forum or the darts one. Having read all the posts i think Tallisiens should not reply any more, having read his posts i feel he is acting like a child always having to get the last word in. king was just sugguesting something and everyone bit his head off.

If you've no interest then keep out, you clearly havent a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Its our party and we will cry if we want to - its always the usual suspects on here backing each other up and engaging in playground behaviour.
    I am not going to bother quoting each part of your posts cos its not worth it to be honest but it is quite clear in my eyes that you have certain bullying traits in you.
    The simple fact is that you dont think Kingp35 should be a mod cos he made one mistake, i feel this is not enough information to base your decision on, i nominated him cos i have always found he's posts useful and helpful and doesn't have a big head like some people.
    Whether or not a person that is interested in Darts should be a mod is an personal opinion i suppose, maybe all mods that have expert knowledge in the forums they mod should stop moding that forum....
    Kingp35 is a good poster and would make a good mod, he would also be able to put up the odd sticky relating to darts, i understand a mods job is to clean up and keep things on track but surely they can do both.

Why compare PI with Darts Bruithel ? thats just stupid, you are trying too hard to impress people with your posts
    I appologise if i was wrong in saying you nominated a mate but i thought you suggested Boston

6th wrote:
    If you've no interest then keep out, you clearly havent a clue.

What interest do you have in the Darts forum by the way.

Does Anwious not have the right to post here, like yourself ??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Why compare PI with Darts Bruithel ?

Because a Mod is a Mod, whither it's PI or Darts, we are discussing moderation in this thread no?
    thats just stupid

Perhaps you can explain what you mean by that?
    you are trying too hard to impress people with your posts

I'm not here to impress anyone, nor do I care whither they are impressed or not.
    What that has to do with the price of turnips is beyond me :/

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

To be a good mod, maybe you need to be a couple of things -

1. Long winded - I thought Talliesin's post on the Darts forum was long until I read her one here. 1200+ words isn't making a point (or 10), it's a short story...
    2. Ignore comments like "It's a fat knacker sport..." when they are made by a subscriber

Beruthiel wrote:
    Because a Mod is a Mod, whither it's PI or Darts, we are discussing moderation in this thread no?

Thread title = "No Mods Looking After Darts Forum"
    Beruthiel wrote:
    Perhaps you can explain what you mean by that?

Dont see how your mod style on one of the most used forums on Boards has relevance on the Darts forum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dont see how your mod style on one of the most used forums on Boards has relevance on the Darts forum

There's your problem right there then. The fact that you just don't get it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Talliesin, you have actually made some good points in your last post about experience of moderation. Personally I do have experience in moderation in that the board I post on the most and the board that made me join Boards is the soccer board. I have been a member since 2003 so I was posting while all the hassle in that board was going on and the whole sponsorship thing etc that had to be set up. I also know that the mods on soccer are given a very hard time by alot of posters about how they act but I think they do a very good job modding a forum that can get very passionate at times.

Again though I think the Darts board would be very different to soccer due to the fact that there isnt as much posts obviously, people may disagree on some things but most darst fans dont support ant particular player so it wouldnt be as passionate, but there will still be occasions when things get out of hand and moderation is needed.

As was said, I guess its a personal opinion on whether having a keen interest in the forum your moderating is a good thing. I kind of look on a mod as the controller of that forum, the knowledgable person with good experience in the subject that he is moderating. I would imagine that most of the mods on Boards would fit in this category. I can also understood some of your points about a mod not necessarily having to be an expert in the sunject they mod, in that they can take a step back and view the board purely on a moderation basis. Thats well and good but if a mod can moderate a board without Bias towards the subject they moderate (if that makes sense) then I feel that a moderator who is also an expert in the subject they mod is definitely the best kind of mod.

I never envisaged this thread would throw up such debate among peolpe and get so passionate. Still though I suppose its best to take all points into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just passing, so decided to throw my two cents in. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, so I've read it start to finish with no preconceptions.
    1. Kingp35 posts on Feedback to say the Darts form isn't being modded properly.
    2. A few people agree and suggest Kingp35 be made a mod, because he contributes.
    3. oscarbravo suggests they use the report the post function in the meantime
    4. DeV intervenes and says he'll look at the mod selection process shortly.

The thread could conceivably have ended there. There didn't really need to be anything else thrown in. However:
    1. Talliesin takes a pot shot Kingp35, saying if he can't report a post then he isn't really mod material. He has a short spat on the thread on this issue. Then he withdraws his dummy spit and says let's all play nicely.
    2. At this point Amz intervenes, having taken it personally that Kingp35 has basically said she isn't doing her job, and she points out that he should be using the 'report post' button if he has a problem. She also rightly points out that she has a life, and if users aren't using the 'report post' function, it doesn't help their cause or hers.

This reawakens the argument.

There follows 51 further posts of 'lastwordism' that do little or nothing for the credibility of the Feedback Forum as a venue for users' feedback.

Kingp35 never said he wanted to be a mod. He never suggested anyone choose him. He simply said he'd give it a go after someone else nominated him. Frankly I've seen less far elegant scrambles for power among existing moderators when a space in a forum opens up.

Threads like this just add to the user feeling that the mods think "it's not often you're right, but you're wrong again".

Beruthiel wrote:
    There's your problem right there then. The fact that you just don't get it.

Yes, you are obviously so right as always :rolleyes:

Yes, I know a mod is a mod, is a mod, is a mod no matter what forum they are on but this thread states that a mod for darts could be advantagous for users of the forum( maybe..). Some people think as i do that a person that has a knowledge of Darts would be better, thats a matter of opinion, of which i am sure you know your right probably.
    Kingp35 for mod!! Whats the big deal with that, its not that big a deal to be honest, its only being a mod not electing him president or anything.
    If the majority want him as mod, why feel the need to object. I dont see how this can effect you so much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh for crying out loud. I've been reading this thread from the start. I understand where Talliesin is coming from, and agree with him to a large extent, but this is getting out of hand. Darts is a small, pretty self contained forum. Whoever mods it will not have a lot to do. It's not like we're taking nominations for SMods here. Why not just assign Kingp as mod for a trial period, and see how he gets on?

It's unlikely that he will cause the destruction of the Darts board if he makes a mistake as mod. If he doesn't work out, he can be removed, and Amz is there to make sure he's doing a decent job.

Mountain out of a molehill, IMO.

I have a great interest in Darts, I lurk the forum but have played in competition myself (not alot of people here know that ;))

But coming in just to admit you have no interest in either forum and call someone childish doesnt paint a great picture now does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Dev - You've got the time it takes the board to revolve to decide.

You've hit 'darts', and the category's gone.

"Moooo" Kingp35 - I'm afraid you've been 'Bully'd' out.
    Oh Dear, never mind. Come and have a look at what you would have won.

Kingp35 "I've had a lovely day Dev. I think we'll give someone else a chance."

If you don't make it, well, you've had a good day out, but you're goin' home with nowt.

And if you do get it remember - Settle in, take your time, there’s no rush....

*It's too early to be on the soup...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

BigCon wrote:
    Dev - You've got the time it takes the board to revolve to decide.

You've hit 'darts', and the category's gone.

"Moooo" Kingp35 - I'm afraid you've been 'Bully'd' out.
    Oh Dear, never mind. Come and have a look at what you would have won.

Kingp35 "I've had a lovely day Dev. I think we'll give someone else a chance."

If you don't make it, well, you've had a good day out, but you're goin' home with nowt.

And if you do get it remember - Settle in, take your time, there’s no rush....

*It's too early to be on the soup...

What?! :D

6th wrote:
    I have a great interest in Darts, I lurk the forum but have played in competition myself (not alot of people here know that ;))

Hmmm....ok, ill give you that one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Oh dear, it's like the scramble for Africa with some people. I think MAJD summed up how a lot of people must be feeling about this thread.

I'm sure when Talliesen eventually decides on a mod it will be the best choice for darts and for the good of all mankind forevermore. Just let her do so in peace for our time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Kingp35 wrote:
    What?! :D

I must be older than I thought...

bullseyebullybr4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

InFront wrote:
    I'm sure when Talliesen eventually decides on a mod....

I don't think it's up to Talliesin though you could be forgiven for coming to that conclusion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I hear she is hot too.
    This thread should have been locked long ago. The original post was answered and dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

This thread should have been locked long ago.
    Thunderdome maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Talliesin wrote:
    That's like going to the police complaints commission to report that the police didn't investigate a burglary that you never reported.

There's nothing to say that the Sports cat-mod has even seen this thread.

Beats me. I haven't seen any reported posts to look at :rolleyes:

If you want to use the police as an analogy ..... they regularly do patrols around their territory.

Did any mods do that in the darts forum ?

I think we all know the answer is in the negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Talliesin wrote:
    The only time I'd be cautious about someone moderating a forum because it was one of those relatively tight knit ones is that people that tend to stick to just those forums tend to have a poor understanding of moderation compared with people who use a variety of boards including very busy and very light ones

That's just a crass generalisation and quite patronising too.

Shut up noob ..... now someone move this to the Dome before I get banned! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Maybe people haven't read it yet or are choosing to ignore it.... but since this thread has been a lecture in "how to moderate" I'll ask it again.
    When a poster comes on and says Darts is a "fat knacker sport" without being banned, is this because he/she is a subscriber?
    If I were to go on the basketball forum (i assume there is one?) and say that basketball is a "tall ni***r sport" I'd expect a 12 clicking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Licksy wrote:
    is this because he/she is a subscriber?

How I missed you licksy. You know the answer to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Rosco1982 wrote:
    If you want to use the police as an analogy ..... they regularly do patrols around their territory.

Did any mods do that in the darts forum ?

I think we all know the answer is in the negative.
    Oh de we now?

I think you should keep your oar out when you clearly don't know what's going on.

I've said more than once that I do keep an eye on that forum, but I have a life and if people aren't willing to help out, as asked of them in the charter, and don't report posts, I can't know to give that forum specific attention at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement