Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring this ceiling light

Options
  • 14-01-2007 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Dear all:
    Any help you can provide in wiring this ceiling light would be very much appreciated. Apologies for the less than technical terms used below for descriptions purposes.

The first pic of of the entire unit. The round tube has a "plug", which needs to be wired to a transformer. There are two wires, a live and neutral coming from the plug.

357009085_9df085b695_m.jpg

This is a closer up picture of the transformer unit:
    357009089_27f46f8d5a_m.jpg

On the left hand side there are two "ports" where the wires, I assume should be wired in. However, my question is, where does my live and neutral from my mains lights go into- the same "ports", there dont seem to be any others on the unit. Here is a close up of where the wires seem likely to be inserted.

357009093_d9b497bc2d_m.jpg

Any help you can provide would be great. We took it back to the shop where we purchased it, but the sales assistant wasnt sure about how to wire it.

Many thanks in advance for any help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I'm guessing the Live goes into the transformer, and the neutral is to be connected to the existing neutral using a block connector. But wait for an someone a bit more experienced in electicity on Boards to confirm before trying. Was there no instructions in the box, or symbols etched into the light fitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mullmick

Thanks Qwerty- will wait until tomorrow. The light was the last in the shop, we bought the display one. Unfortunately it didnt have instructions for wiring- just for putting the bulb in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm not sure, can you get a closer pic of the"transformer" please.

To me it looks like a flourescent fitting and that is a choke not a transformer, Please don't do anything without a closer pic of the "transformer" please

I can't make out the wiring digram on the unit, but i doubt that the browns and blues would be joined together in the same connector block, the wiring diagram shows two components in series so Querty has a very good point, putting the live brown in the spare connector and joining the two blues could achieve this depending on other wiring that i can't see,

It may be the case that your live and neutral go into the two connectors and the internal live an neutral are push in connectors that need to be pushed back into their correct place on the unit, by this i mean that i think that the brown wire shown on your pic maybe connected into the wrong place in this configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mullmick

Many thanks for your reply Stoner, and sorry for not posting this closer pic of the choke/ "transformer".

It is a flourescent fitting, and I think the live was wired as shown on the diagram when we went to fit it.

If the diagram below sheds any light on how we should wire it, I would be eternally grateful.
    365051800_e23b39e529_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sorry Mullmick but i cant give you complete advice ,
    Looking at that I'd say bring it back becasue to me it looks like you are missing some control gear. Any decent light fitting should have a clear connection block and an earth terminat, this has neither. Looking at the closer pic it appears as if there is a micro F capacitor symbol on the control gear but I dont see a capacitor in the picture (it may be internal)

My gut says that you are missing a capacitor, some cable and a proper connection block, and whoever disconnected the light pulled it off as most control gear now just clips into the fittings (look at all the mounting holes in that fitting and how few are used)

I think there is a high chance that you are missing bits of the fitting, and my advice is not to connect it up.

The other wiring option we discussed earlier (by Qwerty? and seconded by me) still stands as an option, but with that extra bit of info I'd stay away from it and return it

Sorry about that.

Stoner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I think you're missing a starter as well as a capacitor.
    I haven't come across a circular fluorescent lamp with a starter built in.
    Looks like your fitting was cannabalised for spares in the shop.
    Shouldn't have been sold like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Stoner and Hoagy are both correct. Return the fitting from whence it came OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

call an electrician. don't mess around with stuff you don't understand...:rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote:
    call an electrician. don't mess around with stuff you don't understand...:rolleyes:

In this case it's the fitting that's defective, not the OP's knowledge of electrical wiring!

Advertisement