Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Limerick Really THAT bad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Went to UL for four years, plus a little extra hanging around the summer after my final exams, it's alright. It's neither a crime ridden wasteland, nor the greatest place ever.

If you're going to go somewhere go there for the course itself, you'll probably have a great time regardless of where you go, so just pick something based on what you want to do, as opposed to the nightlife and other concerns like that.

Also, if you go to UL, be prepared to love and hate it in almost equal amounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

From Limerick and have lived all over the city and did stints in LIT and large scale drinking in UL have to say Limerick is a great up and coming student city with a class nightlife and good pubs and gigs.

As a previous poster said UL has a huge campus with great faciities.

But I found LIT to be a freindlier place probably due to the size.

Either way come to Limerick you dont understand post pub food till you've had a souperchip from the chicken hut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Limerick is grand. If you want trouble you can find it but it's generally safe. I went to college there for 4 years and saw no more trouble there than anywhere else I lived, apart from a mini riot one night. If I recall correctly clubs were closed for a while after that! Lot of scumbags around the center but they are harmless. Great college night life and a great place for spending some time, don't be put off by the media stories. It's a very small few people that's causing that trouble and it's just between themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Nah, theres two rough estates Moyross (which is by LIT) although surrounded by Limericks most expensive area where houses have been known to sell for up to €4m.
    And Southhill, which is pretty much the same side of the city as UL, also crammed between Raheen (or 'Waheen' as scum cleverly call it) and Castletroy, areas both generally considered middle class or whatever.

You forgot to mention the Island, which which would be best avoided at night time in fairness. :)

I lived in Moyross for about a year and never had any hassle, and i was living in Greval park at the time. :D

Limerick is what you make it, as pointed out steer clear of the well known trouble spots and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, and avoid a nightclub called The Market. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

Dont worry the Market is closed at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Not to be confused with The Corn Market. Nice bar.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Limerick is fine. I had a great time there for 7 years, all spent either in UL or else working in the Technological park. If you are going to UL and living in Castletroy, then you have very little to worry about, as it is a self contained area really. I never really had any hassle inthe city either, except to say that Limerick bouncers are the biggest shower of w@nkers ever. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

sioda wrote:
    Dont worry the Market is closed at the mo

That place must be closed more often than it's open. In the 4 years I lived there I can't count how many times it closed and re-opened... and it was still sh*t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

5starpool wrote:
    I never really had any hassle inthe city either, except to say that Limerick bouncers are the biggest shower of w@nkers ever. That is all.

Ha ha, i used to do doors in Limerick, can only say i agree. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

iguana wrote:
    2005 figures
    http://www.garda.ie/angarda/statistics/report2005.html

I thought I'd stick in a few of the main points for those who wouldn't be bothered to download or read through it.

Headline Offences 2005 (these are the biggies, like murder, rape, armed robbery, assault and burglary) per 1000 of population.

Dublin Total; 44,991. Cork Total; 9162. Limerick; 5,717.

Limerick has what, around 70,000 people and nearly 6000 serious offences.

The Dublin Garda area (which includes nearby areas like Maynooth afaik, its effectively the same boundary as the 01 phone region) has about 1.3 million, but only 7 times more serious crime? But about 15 times the population?

Dunno why Limerick folks get so excited when the crime is brought up. Its a rough place, and it seems to have an even bigger level of low down scum than other places (burning children, shooting children, gang wars sparked by schoolyard fights between kids, Dublin has its problems but kids are seldom involved)

IIRC wasnt there a case where a grandmother drove a car as her son commited a drive by? We Dubs just cant compare :D Yous is G`z

shane86 wrote:

The Dublin Garda area (which includes nearby areas like Maynooth afaik, its effectively the same boundary as the 01 phone region) has about 1.3 million, but only 7 times more serious crime? But about 15 times the population?

Dunno why Limerick folks get so excited when the crime is brought up. Its a rough place, and it seems to have an even bigger level of low down scum than other places (burning children, shooting children, gang wars sparked by schoolyard fights between kids, Dublin has its problems but kids are seldom involved)

IIRC wasnt there a case where a grandmother drove a car as her son commited a drive by? We Dubs just cant compare :D Yous is G`z

As of 2002, Limerick had a population of 183,863.
    The city itself had 86,998.
    Limerick 86,998
    Newcastle West 4,017
    Abbeyfeale 1,683
    Rathkeale 1,362
    Kilmallock 1,362
    Castleconnell 1,343
    Annacotty 1,342
    Adare 1,102
    Croom 1,056

http://www.medialive.ie/Counties/limerick.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We stay with my wife's mate quite often and she lives a few miles outside Limerick. The city IMO is a bit ugly but we've had some good nights out there and it certainly seems lively enough. As for the violence thing, I've never seen that much more than Dublin TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Also, if you go to UL, be prepared to love and hate it in almost equal amounts.

Why??

Anyways aside from that ambiguous comment...

I'm a big fan of UL. Been living in Castletroy for 5 years now, not a bad spot, and perfectly self contained. i.e., it has a cinema, superquinn and some decent restaurants, Indian, Chinese etc. The University itself is fantastic, beautiful campus too. Tonnes for people from Tralee and nearby towns up here also.

If your going to LIT, I lived in Caherdavin (10 min walk from moylish) for a summer and its fine, but I prefer the vibe in Castletroy. Oh, the doormen in general are a$$holes.

Go for it OP... you won't regret it*

*not a guarantee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

nesf wrote:
    No offense but after growing up in Tralee I'd say even the Darfur region wouldn't faze you.
    Ah, great.
    The rest of the thread seems pointless now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

shane86 wrote:

7 times more serious crime per head of population. That would give Dublin a ballpark number of 105 times more serious crime than Limerick in actual terms, according to the Garda figures quoted earlier. Yet I scared the sh*t out of numerous Dublin taxi drivers when I mentioned I lived in Limerick. Such ignorance boggles the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

cornbb wrote:
    7 times more serious crime per head of population. That would give Dublin a ballpark number of 105 times more serious crime than Limerick in actual terms, according to the Garda figures quoted earlier. Yet I scared the sh*t out of numerous Dublin taxi drivers when I mentioned I lived in Limerick. Such ignorance boggles the mind.
    Limerick's crime rate is for Limerick as a whole, including its peaceful countryside, not just the city. Considering the city is relatively small in comparison with Dublin, and that the majority of crimes would occur in the city, its nothing to really be proud of.

6000 serious offences in a population of (lets exclude the countryside) 87,000 is significant considering Dublin City has a population of 1.3Million and 44,000 serious crimes.

"In actual terms", realistically, theres 87,000 people in Limerick city and 6000 serious crimes committed but theres 1.3Million people in Dublin City and only 44,000 serious crimes committed. Also, given Dublins population we're obviously going to have more scum than any other county in Ireland.

I'm not saying Limericks amount of crime is huge, but its not small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

rb_ie wrote:
    Limerick's crime rate is for Limerick as a whole, including its peaceful countryside, not just the city. Considering the city is relatively small in comparison with Dublin, and that the majority of crimes would occur in the city, its nothing to really be proud of.

6000 serious offences in a population of (lets exclude the countryside) 87,000 is significant considering Dublin City has a population of 1.3Million and 44,000 serious crimes.

"In actual terms", realistically, theres 87,000 people in Limerick city and 6000 serious crimes committed but theres 1.3Million people in Dublin City and only 44,000 serious crimes committed. Also, given Dublins population we're obviously going to have more scum than any other county in Ireland.

I'm not saying Limericks amount of crime is huge, but its not small.

Exactly. Even if we assume only 3/4 of it occurs in the city and its surrounding area its still a very high rate. I think the main issue here is the brutality of the crime. Maybe Limerick doesnt have as many muggings, burglaries, small time stick ups etc as Dublin. One reason is that in Dublin these crimes are heavily influenced by heroin addiction. Until recently heroin was relatively rare in Limerick (though according to a report I read not long back its become massive in the last few months). Theres one reason why some crime rates come out as lower. But Id still be willing to bet that this year saw a disproportionate amount of gangland killings and non fatal shootings/arsons in the 80,000 people Limerick city area.

The small town everyone knows each other aspect would also influence the mugging rates. Two guys mug someone in Dublin city centre, the guy could be from Tallaght and the muggers from Blanch. Never see each other again. Limerick city centre mugging- the muggers could be from Moyross, the victim could be from the neighbouring estate and before you know it the muggers have the family to answer to. Totally different situations and cities. From my memory what, about 3 or 4 gangland murders in Limerick this year? You dont get people from Coolock and Drimnagh/Crumlin pretending their areas havent suffered a rash of feud killings, so why Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

OP, I've don't think Limerick is half as bad as it's made out to be. That said, if the same course is available in Galway you might want to think about it. Uni is central, city is laid back and easy-going, craic is good. A bit further from home for you, though.

And forget about travelling by train from Tralee to either Limerick or Galway, it's just a pain in the ass.
    Nah the same course isnt in tralee, but if it was i wouldnt stay anyway i mean my house is literally 10 feet from the I.T. and tbh itd crack me up being so close to home.

Plus tralee is a scum infested knacker land, i mean have you heard everything thats happened here recently, a guy got stabbed with a 15 " butcher knife in the square on a busy saturday night and it didnt even make the front page of the paper a few weeks back, prolly cause the guy was only injured but still its nuts. Then there was that massive fight between around 20 knackers and 20 polish people in the square, again on a saturday night. That was nuts.

The course i wanna do is the new batchelour of arts joint honours degree in UL, if not that then Music Media And Performance technology in UL or Music technology and production in L.I.T .

And does anyone know why getting the train to limerick is such a balls cause ive only heard that its a pain in the arse but noone ever tells me why. I know the train to gallways a pain cause you gotta go to dublin first but with limerick im Stumped.

shane86 wrote:
    Exactly. Even if we assume only 3/4 of it occurs in the city and its surrounding area its still a very high rate. I think the main issue here is the brutality of the crime. Maybe Limerick doesnt have as many muggings, burglaries, small time stick ups etc as Dublin. One reason is that in Dublin these crimes are heavily influenced by heroin addiction. Until recently heroin was relatively rare in Limerick (though according to a report I read not long back its become massive in the last few months). Theres one reason why some crime rates come out as lower. But Id still be willing to bet that this year saw a disproportionate amount of gangland killings and non fatal shootings/arsons in the 80,000 people Limerick city area.

The small town everyone knows each other aspect would also influence the mugging rates. Two guys mug someone in Dublin city centre, the guy could be from Tallaght and the muggers from Blanch. Never see each other again. Limerick city centre mugging- the muggers could be from Moyross, the victim could be from the neighbouring estate and before you know it the muggers have the family to answer to. Totally different situations and cities. From my memory what, about 3 or 4 gangland murders in Limerick this year? You dont get people from Coolock and Drimnagh/Crumlin pretending their areas havent suffered a rash of feud killings, so why Limerick?
    Even giving 1/4 of the crime to the countryside is generous.

Looking at it this way, say on average a crime affects 2 innocent people, it could be more I don't know but for the example we'll use two.
    In Limerick, there was 6000 crimes which for the example we'll say affected 12,000 people. In a city where there is only 80,000 people, thats about 1/6th of its population affected by crime each year. That is significant.
    Dublin has 44,000 crimes, so in this example those crimes affected 88,000 people. We've a population of 1.3Million people so that means around 1/14th of our population are affected by crime each year.

Though, even comparing Limerick to Dublin is quite silly.

Patricide wrote:
    The course i wanna do is the new batchelour of arts joint honours degree in UL, if not that then Music Media And Performance technology in UL or Music technology and production in L.I.T .

And does anyone know why getting the train to limerick is such a balls cause ive only heard that its a pain in the arse but noone ever tells me why. I know the train to gallways a pain cause you gotta go to dublin first but with limerick im Stumped.

I did the MSc equivalent of the MMPT course, twas pretty cool. Know a guy teaching the new undergraduate course, he says its wicked. Regarding getting the train from Tralee to Limerick, the fact that you need to first go through counties Cork and Tipp (and probably change at Mallow and Limerick Junction) probably why its a pain in the hole.

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    Even giving 1/4 of the crime to the countryside is generous.

Looking at it this way, say on average a crime affects 2 innocent people, it could be more I don't know but for the example we'll use two.
    In Limerick, there was 6000 crimes which for the example we'll say affected 12,000 people. In a city where there is only 80,000 people, thats about 1/6th of its population affected by crime each year. That is significant.
    Dublin has 44,000 crimes, so in this example those crimes affected 88,000 people. We've a population of 1.3Million people so that means around 1/14th of our population are affected by crime each year.

Though, even comparing Limerick to Dublin is quite silly.

Guys, can you not just accept hard facts instead of concocting silly conjecture? The crime figures speak louder than "lets say such and such..." Pretty much everyone on this thread who has actually lived in Limerick has been positive about the place. Nobody is denying the place has a crime problem, but don't you think Limerick's rep is a bit unfair given that Dublin has much higher rates of every type of crime?

I have been out in Limerick several hundred times and I have never seen any trouble while I was there. If you ask me, Shannon can be rougher than Limerick. One of my work mates got his nose broken in Limerick over the Christmas period when he was walking to get a taxi just out side Brown Thomas. Another of my work mates got put in hospital with a broken nose and a very bad concusion (sp?) just outside the Heineken brewery in Dublin.

cornbb wrote:
    Guys, can you not just accept hard facts instead of concocting silly conjecture? The crime figures speak louder than "lets say such and such..." Pretty much everyone on this thread who has actually lived in Limerick has been positive about the place. Nobody is denying the place has a crime problem, but don't you think Limerick's rep is a bit unfair given that Dublin has much higher rates of every type of crime?
    You can't even compare Limerick to Dublin. Limericks misicule in comparison.

BUT, with my above example, if the crime rates stay fixed and providing noone affected by crime one year is affected the next, every 6 years everyone living in Limerick city would be affected by crime whereas in Dublin it would be every 14 years. I know which I'd rather live in :D

The facts stay though, in a place with 80,000 people 6000 serious crimes were committed (maybe 500 or so were committed in the countryside though). In another place with 1.3Million people, 44,000 serious crimes were committed. Dublin happens to be the capital city, it has active criminal organisations such as various mafias, professional gangs such as the UNLA(iirc) and until recently, though probably still are, the IRA, we've a huge amount more drug addicts committing crime to get their fixes, given the population we've a lot more scumbags on our streets etc. We've a huge amount more organisations such as banks, building societies, even newsagents/general stores etc. for criminals to target. Comparing Limerick to Dublin is silly and pointless, we're a massive European capital. It'd be like comparing some town at the back arse of nowhere in the states to New York. That said, I'd be happier living in a place with 1,300,000 people and only 44,000 crimes per year than a place with 80,000 people and 6000 crimes.

Limerick city has 1/16th the population of Dublin, but 1/7th the amount of crime.

rb_ie wrote:
    You can't even compare Limerick to Dublin. Limericks misicule in comparison.

BUT, with my above example, if the crime rates stay fixed and providing noone affected by crime one year is affected the next, every 6 years everyone living in Limerick city would be affected by crime whereas in Dublin it would be every 14 years. I know which I'd rather live in :D

The facts stay though, in a place with 80,000 people 6000 serious crimes were committed (maybe 500 or so were committed in the countryside though). In another place with 1.3Million people, 44,000 serious crimes were committed. Dublin happens to be the capital city, it has active criminal organisations such as various mafias, professional gangs such as the UNLA(iirc) and until recently, though probably still are, the IRA, we've a huge amount more drug addicts committing crime to get their fixes, given the population we've a lot more scumbags on our streets etc. We've a huge amount more organisations such as banks, building societies, even newsagents/general stores etc. for criminals to target. Comparing Limerick to Dublin is silly and pointless, we're a massive European capital. It'd be like comparing some town at the back arse of nowhere in the states to New York. That said, I'd be happier living in a place with 1,300,000 people and only 44,000 crimes per year than a place with 80,000 people and 6000 crimes.

Limerick city has 1/16th the population of Dublin, but 1/7th the amount of crime.

Limerick's crime rate is 1/7th times that of Dublin's, PER HEAD OF POPULATION.

(That's been posted twice before in bold tags, but bold tags sometime just aren't enough.) Now, read that twice, get your calculator out if you need to, then come back and tell me you're still convinced Limerick is a more dangerous place than Dublin.

cornbb wrote:
    Limerick's crime rate is 1/7th times that of Dublin's, PER HEAD OF POPULATION.

(That's been posted twice before in bold tags, but bold tags sometime just aren't enough.) Now, read that twice, get your calculator out if you need to, then come back and tell me you're still convinced Limerick is a more dangerous place than Dublin.
    I've already posted my argument on the matter, makes sense to me tbh and to others reading it.

If Limerick city somehow grew to the population and size of Dublin overnight and its crime rate grew in proportion to its population(i.e the population increased x 16 and the amount of crime increased x 16), there'd be over twice the amount of crimes in Limerick as there would in Dublin. Similarly, if Dublin somehow shrunk in size and population to the size of Limerick (/16) with its amount of crime shrinking in proportion (/16), it would have less than half the amount of crime.

My example wasn't silly or conjured up either, its quite realistic but based on an average number of people affected by a crime that I took at random. If it were 3 people per crime on average, that'd be 18,000 of the 80,000 people in Limerick City affected by crime per year.

You can keep using your "defence" on the matter if you want, convince yourself all you like but I know where my mind lays on the matter. The facts have spoken for themselves and unless you want to bring a new argument into the matter, I've said all that I'm going to say to you on the matter.

1/16th the amount of people, 1/7th the amount of crime and again, Limerick shouldn't even be compared to Dublin. Its silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Clodidah

rb ie have you ever lived in limerick? Beacause the question was is it 'actually' that bad.. i think they were asking people whove leaved here. Quoting statistics isnt going to help because it obviously depends on the area your in and the people you hang around with. I have lived here all my life ( and not in one of the scobey areas) ive been going into on my own since i was 12 and have never had any problems. Also i have no problems walking around in the city centre in the dark and wouldnt consider Limerick as a place of particular violence at all.

Clodidah wrote:
    I have lived here all my life
    Then why do you have Clare as your location, eh?Ashamed? :p

Live on the boarder not ashamed bout anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

rb_ie wrote:
    I've already posted my argument on the matter, makes sense to me tbh and to others reading it.
    Shane86 wrote:

Read my post again. The figures posted are the amount of crimes for every 100,000 people in the region. So that is 5,717 serious crimes in Limerick for every 100,000 people. And 44,991 serious crimes in Dublin for every 100,000 people.

If by rb_ie's reckoning Dublin has 16 times the population of Limerick, which it doesn't - but 16 is the figure he chose. Then there are 719,856 crimes in Dublin for every 5,717 crimes in Limerick. Or 125 serious crimes in Dublin for every 1 in Limerick. I assume you are not claiming that Limerick's population is more the 125 times less than that of Dublin's.

Limerick had, in 2005, 7 & 1/2 less serious crimes than Dublin, PER HEAD OF POPULATION. Ignoring the fact the crimes are already put in by head of population and then making a ratio out of the ratio make you both look like people who pick and choose the facts you want to see rather than the actual facts. Which sums up exactly why Limerick has such a bad reputation in the first place.:rolleyes:

Clodidah wrote:
    Live on the boarder not ashamed bout anything.
    Um hmm, sure ;)

• Advertisement

You never answerd me, have you ever lived in limerick?

Clodidah wrote:
    You never answerd me, have you ever lived in limerick?
    I stayed the night there a few times, surely that counts towards something.

Oh btw, I really doubt that Limerick natives are going to bad mouth the place to any great extent, of course they're going to make the place seem as good as they can.

It really really dosnt, ive stayed the night in dublin before but i wouldnt even think about saying that counted towards living there.

It really really dosnt, ive stayed the night in dublin before but i wouldnt even think about saying that counted towards living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

rb_ie wrote:
    Comparing Limerick to Dublin is silly and pointless, we're a massive European capital.

lol, yes of course ye are. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Wouldn't get too worked up about rb_ie to be honest, he makes the same sweeping generalisations about parts of Dublin he's read about or passed once on a bus.

lol, yes of course ye are. :rolleyes:
    Lol, jealous much?
    Collie D wrote:
    Wouldn't get too worked up about rb_ie to be honest, he makes the same sweeping generalisations about parts of Dublin he's read about or passed once on a bus.

Sorry if I've called your area shít or something in the past Collie D, I have a habit of saying what I'm thinking. If I've been somewhere and I think its a run down shít hole, then I'll say its a run down shít hole. Force of habit I guess.

However, theres not many places I've been that I'd call a run down shít hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

OP, I've don't think Limerick is half as bad as it's made out to be. That said, if the same course is available in Galway you might want to think about it. Uni is central, city is laid back and easy-going, craic is good. A bit further from home for you, though.

And forget about travelling by train from Tralee to either Limerick or Galway, it's just a pain in the ass.
    Patricide wrote:
    Nah the same course isnt in tralee, but if it was i wouldnt stay anyway i mean my house is literally 10 feet from the I.T. and tbh itd crack me up being so close to home.

OP, we seem to have crossed lines there, I was talking about Galway, not Tralee! That said, I'm not sure they have much in the music line, but they would certainly have plenty of choices in arts / humanities.

Because our rail system is centred on our "massive European capital", Dublin, with very few cross-country links, and because the Kerry service is abysmal anyway, from Tralee to Limerick means going from Tralee to Killarney to Mallow to Limerick Junction to Limerick, with anything up to 2 changes! A bus will make it in ... what ... an hour and a half? Expect to be most of the day on the train.

Galway would be even worse by train, though you should be able to change in Portarlington, rather than going all the way into Dublin ... still would be much easier (and cheaper) by bus. Nestors and other private bus companies run student services from major towns to / from the various colleges on Friday evenings / Sunday evenings.

rb_ie wrote:
    Lol, jealous much?

Sorry rb, but Dublin is far from a "massive European capital." It's certainly bigger than Limerick, and has lots of great things going for it. I've lived there for quite a few years and it's where my husband is from. But when you've lived in an actual massive European capital you'll realise that Dublin, while the biggest city in Ireland, is actually a pretty small city on a worldwide scale. Dublin proper (that is Dublin and not the areas of surrounding counties which have been usurped by the city) has a population of little over half a million. Definitely not my definition of a big city.

London, Paris, Berlin and Madrid are massive European capitals. I live in London, own a little piece of it in fact. And London is a proper massive city, it absolutely buzzes. You could live here your whole life and never get to know it all. It has, most importantly - imo, a working public transport system. Which, despite the amount of bitching I might do about it when my tube is delayed, moves 4.7 million people everyday.

I like Dublin, and it is probably about as small a city that I would like to live in. But it's public transport system is a joke, which makes anyone living in any area further than a two mile radius from the city centre dependant on their cars or taxis to get around, especially at night. It has also pushed house prices into unreasonable figures as the demand for homes in walking distance to the city is way higher than it would be in a city with a decent 24 hour public transport system.

Dublin is what I'd think of as a local city. It has a lot of things that bigger cities have, great places to eat with lots of variety, lots of lovely pubs, some good clubs. But it's the kind of city that you can never go into without meeting someone you know. Not neccesarily a bad thing, but not what you get in a massive city. There is no space for anonymity, I can't imaging sitting next to a famous person on a bus and having everyone continue reading their metro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yup mabey so, i was trying to address a good few comments at once but i quoted yours for some reason. Bah its all good anyway ive found out loads about limerick and that it really isnt that bad.

Also found out that rb.ie is really anti limerick.

Anyone know what the wifi on campus is like, i cant survive without a decent internet connection.

Patricide wrote:
    Yup mabey so, i was trying to address a good few comments at once but i quoted yours for some reason. Bah its all good anyway ive found out loads about limerick and that it really isnt that bad.

Also found out that rb.ie is really anti limerick.

Anyone know what the wifi on campus is like, i cant survive without a decent internet connection.
    I'm not anti-Limerick, I'm anti people pretending that crime isn't a problem there when the statistics say otherwise, or playing it down somewhat and then attempting to compare it with Dublin in a poor attempt at making it look better.

I've no problem with the place itself, sure why would I?I don't live there nor do I ever intend to (tbh, even if I were offered a job with a hefty salary I wouldn't move there) but different strokes for different folks I suppose. I just couldn't live somewhere so small. If I were moving out of Dublin for college I'd go to UCC or Galway. I know neither are huge compared to Limerick City but I just generally prefer the areas but overall I just couldn't live in somewhere so small for a prolonged period.

Enjoy your college years there anyway.

rb_ie wrote:
    when the statistics say otherwise,

Which statistics? I would like to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

MarkR wrote:
    So you think limerick is the only place cars get burnt out? You must lead a sheltered life...
    WHAT I MENT WAS HE SAID IT CAMLY LIKE YOUD SAY"JUST HAVING A CUPPA TEA" - PLUS THIS WAS IN THE AFTERNOON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

It says he lives in Clare because the city extents into county clare. 1000'd of people offically live in Co. Clare but are really a Limerick suburb. Sure Moyross is Clare.

Also, the stats are per 1,000 population, now they may be bollox... generally stats arnt really a true reflection but you've roughly 50 people who have either lived here for college or for life saying its a great place just avoid 3 areas (two of which are difficult to even get into).

Last note, many MANY Limerick people 5 years ago would have gladly bad-mouthed the city; depressing, lifeless and dull were casually thrown around the city and to visitors, the city has actually pulled an amazing 360 turnaround. I generally feel much safer on Limericks streets at night, in Dublin i stick generally to the quays/o'connell street/ etc... whereas Limerick you can walk the city but avoiding certain streets and places.

It says he lives in Clare because the city extents into county clare. 1000'd of people offically live in Co. Clare but are really a Limerick suburb. Sure Moyross is Clare.

Also, the stats are per 1,000 population, now they may be bollox... generally stats arnt really a true reflection but you've roughly 50 people who have either lived here for college or for life saying its a great place just avoid 3 areas (two of which are difficult to even get into).

Last note, many MANY Limerick people 5 years ago would have gladly bad-mouthed the city; depressing, lifeless and dull were casually thrown around the city and to visitors, the city has actually pulled an amazing 360 turnaround. I generally feel much safer on Limericks streets at night, in Dublin i stick generally to the quays/o'connell street/ etc... whereas Limerick you can walk the city but avoiding certain streets and places.
    Sticking to O'Connell Street or the Quays at night in Dublin is asking for trouble, they're not some of the safer areas in Dublin City at night time tbh. In fact, they're areas I'd try to avoid while out at night in Dublin.

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    If Limerick city somehow grew to the population and size of Dublin overnight and its crime rate grew in proportion to its population(i.e the population increased x 16 and the amount of crime increased x 16), there'd be over twice the amount of crimes in Limerick as there would in Dublin. ...

1/16th the amount of people, 1/7th the amount of crime and again, Limerick shouldn't even be compared to Dublin. Its silly...

I'm anti people pretending that crime isn't a problem there when the statistics say otherwise, or playing it down somewhat and then attempting to compare it with Dublin in a poor attempt at making it look better.

Who taught you maths? Does the oft-repeated phrase per head of population mean nothing to you? If the population of limerick were to magically equal the population of dublin, the rate of headline crime in dublin would still be seven times that of limerick's, given these rates. I'll repeat it again. Dublin's headline crime rate is seven times that of limerick's per head of population. That means you take limerick's crime problem, multiply it by seven, then multiply it by the number of people in dublin compared to the number of people in limerick, then you have the magnitude of the crime in dublin compared to that in limerick. 105:1. How hard is it for you to multiply a few figures? If you could manage that, you'd see that dublin's crime problem puts limerick's crime problem in the shade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Have never lived in Limerick but have spent a good few weekends there over the last few summers. Find the city centre really nice - plenty of good pubs (Old Quarter, Clohessys plus loads more depending on your preference) and restaurants and great for shopping. Find the people friendly and its a better value alternative for a weekend away than Galway- Jurys Inn excellent value in City Centre. Never felt in anyway threatened there. I know this has nothing to do with College life but I just thought I would give my opinion anyway - great place for a weekend away:) :):):):)

cornbb wrote:
    Who taught you maths? Does the oft-repeated phrase per head of population mean nothing to you? If the population of limerick were to magically equal the population of dublin, the rate of headline crime in dublin would still be seven times that of limerick's, given these rates. I'll repeat it again. Dublin's headline crime rate is seven times that of limerick's per head of population. That means you take limerick's crime problem, multiply it by seven, then multiply it by the number of people in dublin compared to the number of people in limerick, then you have the magnitude of the crime in dublin compared to that in limerick. 105:1. How hard is it for you to multiply a few figures? If you could manage that, you'd see that dublin's crime problem puts limerick's crime problem in the shade.
    Lollers, who taught you English? 'Cause if you look back a page you'll see I said;
    rb_ie wrote:
    The facts have spoken for themselves and unless you want to bring a new argument into the matter, I've said all that I'm going to say to you on the matter.

Onto ignore you go, my angry little friend.

BTW, if Limericks population multiplied sixteen times to match Dublins, and the rate of crime grew proportionally, 16x6,000 = 96,000, with Dublins only being 44,000 I think we can clearly see thats over two times the amount of crimes. I did say if it magically grew overnight also, so Dublins crime rate would remain as is. End of, have a nice evening.

rb_ie wrote:
    The facts have spoken for themselves and unless you want to bring a new argument into the matter, I've said all that I'm going to say to you on the matter.

You have a serious problem whereby you cannot interpret the facts, nor multiply numbers, nor listen to the opinions of people who have spent more than "a few nights" in Limerick. Hopefully some kindly soul will take it upon themselves to teach you some sixth class mathematics, I'm all spent here.

rb_ie wrote:
    BTW, if Limericks population multiplied sixteen times to match Dublins, and the rate of crime grew proportionally, 16x6,000 = 96,000, with Dublins only being 44,000 I think we can clearly see thats over two times the amount of crimes. I did say if it magically grew overnight also, so Dublins crime rate would remain as is. End of, have a nice evening.

The rate doesn't increase with the population. You can ignore me all you like and you can ignore the facts here. I'd suggest not ignoring a basic principle of mathematics, it doesn't make you look too intelligent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement