Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shaving - Guys

• 14-01-2007 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

What razors do all the lads here use? Need to get a new one, was thinking of just using disposables but are they any good? Or should i just stick with a mach 3 ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

i use a fusion here, but only because when gilette bring out a new razor, they decrease the quality of the older blades(eg. the mach 3) so you dont quite get as good a shave as you used to, and then go and get the new one so you can get the nice feeling back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I got a Philips Norelco like this one at Christmas but changed back to the Mach 3 a few days ago. Don't even think about getting a Fusion, blades are sheeeeite unless you still have baby skin or bum fluff. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

M3 Power for me. I find them great. I think I've still got two or three unopened ones lying around from Xmas and birthday gifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Fusion also.

Tried disposables early on but would never ever go back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Gillette Mach3 Power. Best razor I've had so far.
    Got one of those Wilkenson Sword Quattro's too, only used it once as it was the shíttest razor I'd ever used.Thank God I got it free or I'd of been píssed off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

rb_ie wrote:
    Gillette Mach3 Power. Best razor I've had so far.
    Got one of those Wilkenson Sword Quattro's too, only used it once as it was the shíttest razor I'd ever used.Thank God I got it free or I'd of been píssed off.

Exactly my thoughts but have started just trimming lately when a head shaver ---coz im so lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jack stamper

balls - go for a cut-throat razor. Just finished a bizarre book: sharp practice - the real man's guide to shaving (easons). It goes through all types of shaving. Turns out the cut-throat is coming back with a vengeance. I've already ordered mine.
    Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

i use a fusion here, but only because when gilette bring out a new razor, they decrease the quality of the older blades(eg. the mach 3) so you dont quite get as good a shave as you used to, and then go and get the new one so you can get the nice feeling back..

is that true? because I'd believe it.

Got the fusion as an impulse buy. Used the 2 blades that come with it, very very impressed. Anyway have about 3 packets of mach3 turbo razors. Went back to them a week ago, and begorra my almost 2month old fusion blade cuts better.

Would feel bad dumping 3 packets of mach3 turbo blades but they just dont cut as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have used these since I started shaving. Would love to get a proper cut-throat razor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

I got one of those double edged safety razors, well two actually (a new merkur futur and a 1965 reconditioned adjustable gillette slim handle). Blades cost about 40c each and they kick anything I've used before (quattro, mach3 etc. Never used a fusion) but You gotta be careful and possibly look up techniques as it's easy to slice yourself if not careful/hungover...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Dead Ed wrote:
    I got one of those double edged safety razors, well two actually (a new merkur futur and a 1965 reconditioned adjustable gillette slim handle). Blades cost about 40c each and they kick anything I've used before (quattro, mach3 etc. Never used a fusion) but You gotta be careful and possibly look up techniques as it's easy to slice yourself if not careful/hungover...

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Fusion here w/battery .. it's decent.

Am using a beard trimmer now for perma-stubble. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I use Fusion now but only cos i got one as a gift at xmas. There far too overpriced though, crazy money.

As an experiment i bought disposables a few months back (gillette 3 blades) to test their effectiveness (cos they were cheap) and they worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

use the Fusion here, find it a good bit better than the Mach 3. have to be careful not to cut the tips of your fingers with that extra trimming blade thingy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Having a beard, I just use a beard trimmer at the moment - close for areas when I'm neatening myself up, and a 6 for the rest. used to use a mach 3, tried a couple of wilkinson sword razors but found that the safety wires drove me mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I use Wilkinson Sword Quattro or this Philips electric http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A7NKUK/ciaouk-21/ref=nosim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

plonk wrote:
    Linky
    Right, I was pointed to this (some links included) article by someone on boards and in an attempt to waste more time I discovered this forum. Shop around because some of the online stores are extortionate and there are a few (not many though) rip off merchants on ebay but most are ok. Look up anything before you buy though, you don't wanna end up buying some dead guy's razor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Fusion all the way and get the tough beard getl it may be a gimmick but i find it works better than the rest of the stuff out there. Also if you have to shave everyday its fine and it gives you a great close shave i have an electric razor for the days when i dont have time/not bothered to have a wet shave and its not bad either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I use a Philishave electric. Handy, I can shave in the shower, and I don't have to worry about slicing my face apart, when I'm half asleep.
    Doesn't give quite as close a shave as a razor though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Sensor Excel here,tried the Mach and never found it comfortable.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Gilette Fusion here too, haven't found it that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I've had The Gillette Mach 3's, Turbos, etc. for years. Found them very good. Over the last year I've been using Wilkinson Swords Quattro and find this excellent. I changed because Gillette where introducing fusions, razors with batteries etc. I never took to them. I just wanted the plain old.

What also helps is what lubricant you are applying to your face before you shave. Anything that's on a supermarket shelf should be issued with a health warning.
    For a comfortable clean/close shave with no alcohol. Use Dermalogica Professional Shave. http://www.dermalogica.com/ You will only find this is beauty salons. Expensive but worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Gillette Sensor Excel. Small and convenient, also come in 5 pack.
    irishguy wrote:
    What razors do all the lads here use? Need to get a new one, was thinking of just using disposables but are they any good? Or should i just stick with a mach 3 ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Shaving? There's something very abnormal about removing the hair from ones face every day or so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shortnick

plonk wrote:
    Linky

May interest you to look over at youtube as well.
    Some guy has a line of vids all about double edge safety razors. Pretty informative stuff too.

He's converted me anyhow, so I reckon I'll be buying my Merkler sharpish (Ah-Ha!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A decent shaving gel is half the battle, especially if you suffer from skin irritation or shaving rash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I don't shave too often, but 2 people I know swear by the disposables in Lidl, maybe worth a try for someone?
    zabbo wrote:
    A decent shaving gel is half the battle, especially if you suffer from skin irritation or shaving rash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I know guys who are similar, think that bic disposables or tesco own brand are teh ****. Ironically enough neither guy ever has a very good shave...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

I use the this http://www.totalshavingsolution.com/...

Wash your face in hot water... then put 3 drops of this on the palm of your hand and rub it in.

Shave as normal, making sure to keep your face and the blade wet.

Takes a bit of time to get used to not making progress based on the parts of your face that still have foam/gel on them.

Out of all the things I have tried, electric, gels, foams etc.. - I get the closest, least irritated shave with this. Also, it seems to make the blade last longer..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JuiceC

Forget the Fusion hype and buy the disposables (with aloe vera strip!!!) from Aldi and for the weekend the Merkur Futur from 4men.ie. It takes a bit of getting used to but is worth the money and the blades last for months.

Then try the Proraso Italian shaving cream (eucalyptus) and after shave balm and you'll never look back.

This is the best I've read on achieving the perfect shave:-

- Wash your face in warm water with a Face Wash to open your pores and soften your beard
    - Rub a few drops of Shave Oil onto the warm, wet face to keep the hairs upright, for a closer shave.
    - In a circular motion, massage a small amount of Shave Cream onto your face with a Shave Brush or wet fingertips.
    - Shave with the grain, rinsing the Razor blade frequently in warm water. Use short strokes starting with the side burns, check and neck. Finish with the chin and upper lip, as the hair is thicker here.
    - Rinse your face with cool water and use a towel to pat, not rub, your face dry.
    - Apply an after-shave Balm to any irritated areas and use an Alum Block to deal with any cuts.
    - Finish off with a suitable Moisturiser to hydrate and protect the skin.

Now go ahead and shave a few years off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hybie

Okay, I've got a different question...i used to have a serious amount of acne but now i've just got very small red spots on my neck so obviously shaving makes them all red and noticeable and my flatmates and family have said that its very noticeable.

I've heard that shaving with an electric razor is better but I'm not sure. I went into a pharmacy and the guy behind the counter was showing me this Braun Contour model for around €100 and recommending it for people with acne but he owns the shop so don't really know if he's just saying it so I'd buy it.

Anybody have similar problem and are Braun's any good with people with irritable skin on their neck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Gillete Quatro is what ive used for over a year and a 1/2 maybe 2 years and i find it brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

hybie wrote:
    Okay, I've got a different question...i used to have a serious amount of acne but now i've just got very small red spots on my neck so obviously shaving makes them all red and noticeable and my flatmates and family have said that its very noticeable.

Anybody have similar problem and are Braun's any good with people with irritable skin on their neck?

I have a Braun electric and I found my spots fared much *worse* with this than when I was wetshaving!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

hybie wrote:

I've heard that shaving with an electric razor is better but I'm not sure. I went into a pharmacy and the guy behind the counter was showing me this Braun Contour model for around €100 and recommending it for people with acne but he owns the shop so don't really know if he's just saying it so I'd buy it.

without seeing your neck its hard to tell but the rash is probably the result of shaving. make sure you let your shaving cream settle for approx 30-60 secs before shaving. Remember your razor blade needs to be replaced regularly too! After shaving pat your face dry (dont wipe) and use a good soothing after shave balm. allow it dry before putting anything around your neck obviously. Use the sensitive skin gels as they can help

If you do get an electric razor, make sure its a good one. However dont use it everyday. Also buy a good pre electric shave oil/cream (boots do their own brand quite cheaply) and use after shave too.

Advertisement